Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
    Hell I would be in trouble with you! Seems I always end up killing the deer I want on a Sunday when it's most inconvenient.

Not sure why or how I quoted the "bump" post?

He's not joking

Comment

Got one for y'all

I do the majority of my hunting nowadays on my girlfriend's family's 7,000 acre low fence ranch in Mason. I have pretty free reign on what I want to shoot because I pull my weight during the offseason and because her parents like the fact that I get her to the ranch more often now than before we were dating. Her dad and I work together to look through all the trail cam photos at bucks to decide which ones we think should walk and which can be shooters for the season, not unlike what everyone else does.

So this past October I'm sitting in a tripod and have an awesome young 10 come in. Awesome for the hill country that is, he's a 3 year old that probably scores 115, a few years down the road he'll be a real stud! I get dozens of photos of him eating corn 15 yards from me and send them to my girlfriend's dad. Fast forward to a week later and he had a couple of friends out to hunt opening weekend of rifle season. One of his friends sat at the same stand I was at and told him about the "big 10" they saw and showed him pictures they took. It was the same deer I had just seen a week ago, and knowing that, he told his guest not to shoot the buck, as its a young deer.

Guess which deer died less than 12 hours later at the same spot.........

Comment

Originally posted by AggieArcher View Post
        Got one for y'all

I do the majority of my hunting nowadays on my girlfriend's family's 7,000 acre low fence ranch in Mason. I have pretty free reign on what I want to shoot because I pull my weight during the offseason and because her parents like the fact that I get her to the ranch more often now than before we were dating. Her dad and I work together to look through all the trail cam photos at bucks to decide which ones we think should walk and which can be shooters for the season, not unlike what everyone else does.

So this past October I'm sitting in a tripod and have an awesome young 10 come in. Awesome for the hill country that is, he's a 3 year old that probably scores 115, a few years down the road he'll be a real stud! I get dozens of photos of him eating corn 15 yards from me and send them to my girlfriend's dad. Fast forward to a week later and he had a couple of friends out to hunt opening weekend of rifle season. One of his friends sat at the same stand I was at and told him about the "big 10" they saw and showed him pictures they took. It was the same deer I had just seen a week ago, and knowing that, he told his guest not to shoot the buck, as its a young deer.

That's the kind of thing that's just inexcusable. It's not a mistake, you've been told not to shoot it, and you are a guest. In my book the guy just decided he didn't care who he upset and didn't care if he ever got invited back. Selfish people only get one chance to screw up on our place.

Comment

Got one for y'all

Yep, inexcusable. They would not be coming back!

And does your girlfriend have a sister?!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
            Yep, inexcusable. They would not be coming back!

And does your girlfriend have a sister?!
            Man you are looking at this opportunity all wrong.... If you hook up with the sister, you will still share the hunting. You need to be moving on the girlfriend....he aint put a ring on it yet. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Man you are looking at this opportunity all wrong.... If you hook up with the sister, you will still share the hunting. You need to be moving on the girlfriend....he aint put a ring on it yet. LOL
              Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                Hell I would be in trouble with you! Seems I always end up killing the deer I want on a Sunday when it's most inconvenient.

Not sure why or how I quoted the "bump" post?
                ha yeah well if its a trophy buck we dont hold you to it but anything less that makes us wait, its on you... lol

Comment

Okay, I'll pull the pin and tell the story on myself and my button buck...I took my son on a deer hunt in Brackettville, TX last January. The Hunting Guidelines for the place allowed each hunter to kill 2 does - whitetail or Axis, unlimited hogs and predators for the daily hunting fee. You were also allowed to kill Axis bucks with antlers 6" or less. They had a strict rule that you could only kill mature deer - 3 yrs. old or older. If you killed an immature deer, you had to pay a $300.00 fine. Before hunting, I asked the Hunt Supervisor how you could accurately age a doe - both whitetail and Axis. He said "oh, you'll know". Okay...

I think we picked the crappiest weather to hunt in. It was misting rain and windy. The blind they put me in was 100 yds. from the feeder, and the rule was for you to stay in your blind until they came and got you (they had actually had people leave their blinds and get turned around and get lost).

Just as it got light enough to shoot, I look up and see two whitetail does at my feeder. I glass both of them with my Leupold 10x binoculars and notice one is a bit bigger than the other one. Fine with me, I was only planning on shooting does anyway. So I carefully line up the crosshairs on the larger of the two deer and pulled the trigger. DRT - the deer went down and died on the spot. Wow - was I happy! This was my first deer, and it was a clean kill. Okay, I cheated and walked down to the feeder to see my deer, and was shocked to find out it was a button buck!

I felt sick to my stomach! For a brief moment, I confess that I thought about dragging it off into the brush, but just as quickly, the thought left me and I said this will be a good lesson to teach my son. When the Hunt Supervisor came to pick me up, I told him I had shot a deer, and it was at the feeder. We drove down to the feeder and looked at my deer, and I told the Hunt Supervisor that I was sorry I had shot a button buck, and that I would take care of any fines.

I told him I had carefully glassed both deer before shooting, and had decided to shoot the larger of the two hoping it was the oldest one. (In retrospect, I think the other doe was actually the mother of the one I shot.) The Hunt Supervisor waited for me to finish speaking, and then said "Don't worry about it, things like that happen all of the time."

I thought he was being nice to me in front of my son, and he would fine me once we got back to the office. Once we got to the office, he filled out some paperwork, and handed me a completed Anterless Deer tag. That was it. I finally figured out that it was a situation where if you were going to be cool, so was he. What a relief! At the end of our 2 day hunt, we gave him a decent tip, and we plan on hunting there again this fall.

Regards,

Dave

PS - a photo of my first deer is included.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Man that's a good buck! Where'd u get him? From that stand u told me to hunt this morning. U know, the 10 ft tripod in the barn pasture. The one u gotta go through the double gate to get to. What???? We ain't gotta 10 ft tripod, or a barn pasture, and all our gates are single gates!!!! **** it, did u tag him? What's a tag?

Comment

Got one for y'all

Man, put a ring on her finger quick. Girls like that are rare.

Comment

Well i got couple from when i used to work for a hunting ranch. The owners always let some of the LEO and Fire from the county come and hunt. Rules were does and old spikes only! Dropped a guy off and told him that the first deer that usually shows up is a broke rack young 8 pt. his main beam is broke just past his brow tine so he looks like a spike on one side but still has full rack on other. You can guess what he shot! Pull up there to get him and sure enough. He shot him at first light. His excuse was " i saw the long tine and assumed it was a spike. Needless to say. He didn't get to keep it and was not asked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Long , Long Read - But I was in the right

So I have one on myself

I moved to TX in 2005 and I wasn't able to afford or even find a lease. The first 5-6 years I hunted at Fort Hood in the unguided areas and would do some of the guided hunts. After a couple of years I was spending a lot of time up there so I decided to sign up to be a volunteer deer guide. They assigned an area to me with some other guides that had been guiding for many years. There was a list of rules that we had to read to each hunter before every hunt and get them to acknowledge they understood. One weekend when I was up there to guide they did not need me since all of the other guides had shown up and our area was partially closed for training. Since I was there anyway I put my name in the draw and got chosen to hunt another area. I hand corn in front of my stand and climb into the stand turn around and there was a big spike already feeding in front of me. I shot him and he dropped DRT, hadn't been 10 min since I was dropped off. The guide for that area texted me and asked if I shot. yes I told him and was going to gut my deer and stay in stand for a hog or coyote. He texted me back and said stay in the stand and keep hunting maybe something bigger would come out. We were then texting back and forth for another hour or so. I had rattling horns with me and would hit them every now and then. One time I did a very nice 8 point came running out of the trees looking for a fight. I texted the guide and said "Nice 8 point here now " he texted me back to shoot him. I did and he dropped right in his tracks. I got down , tagged and cleaned them both. At dark the guide texts and says meet him at the predetermined rendezvous spot. I load up at dark and head out there. The guide pulls up a little later and says wait for the rest of the hunters to get there and he would find someone to tag my second deer. I tell him no need I have tagged it with my tags and have 2 legal Texas bucks for Bell county. He looked at me and started shaking his head. I wish you would not have done that he says , I ask why. He then proceeds to tell me you can only shoot one deer at a sit on Ft Hood. They do a morning hunt until 10am and then an afternoon hunt from 2 PM - Dark. I kept the rule book in my truck since I had been guiding for 3 years myself and ask him to show me where it said that. It was not in the book , more of an unwritten rule. I tell him you told me to shoot the second buck , he agrees but he had planned on someone else tagging my spike. Also you did not say anything at the initial briefing , Plus I am a guide in another area and I pulled out our briefing sheet and it is not on their either. I had guided dozens of hunters in 3 years. I think this has to be a mistake and everything is fine. WRONG
                          We get up to the check station and of course all of the hunters are standing around to see what was shot. I back up and everyone looks at my deer and the biologist asks where the second hunter is , I told him I killed both. He proceeds to tell me that is not legal on Ft Hood, I again ask where in the book does it say that , he admits it does not. I then show him the text from the guide telling me to keep hunting and shoot the second buck. By this time the guide has left the Ft and left me on my own. I waited about 3 hours for 2 Federal game wardens to show up at the check station, it was around 10 PM , they take me into the office and let me sit for another hour it is now after 11 PM. 3 Federal Game wardens come in at once finally and the first question is "Have you ever poached a deer before ?" . I say no I have never had a game violation in my life. I tell him I have 2 legal bucks and there is nothing in the rule book saying I can't kill 2 bucks. I tell them nothing was said in the briefing and I pulled out my own briefing sheet given to my by the sportsmans center and nothing on there either. Then they say as a guide you should know better . I again show him texts, my briefing sheet and handed them my rules and regs book and tell him to show me what written rule I had violated. I also informed them I had attended all guide meetings over the past 3 years and had never heard this ever. I told them I had not poached anything and had 2 legal TX bucks. Then they started in on "no reason to get confrontational and aggressive". This went on until after midnight , they finally come back in and tell me they are going to write a citation for each deer , confiscate each deer and I would owe restitution of close to $2000. I also would lose my hunting privileges for 1 year on the Ft and would not be able to be a volunteer guide any longer.
                          I finally got off the Ft after 1 am and by this time my wife is blowing up my phone which they had taken from me, she is thinking I am hurt or worse.
                          Instead of paying the fine I showed up in Military court with the rules and regs book , my texts and my guiding brief sheet. The judge spent about 2 minutes with me and dismissed all charges and waived all fines, he agreed with me 100%. I contacted the sportsmans center to let them know and they would not drop the 1 year ban on hunting and I was not able to guide anymore there even though everything was dropped. This happened on 11/11/11, I remember it because of all 11's in the date. The following year 2012 there was a written rule of not shooting 2 deer on 1 sit. I have not hunted the Ft Since and 2 years ago the sportsmans center contacted me to see if I was interested in guiding again because they had a serious shortage of guides. I told them to go pound sand !
                          Last edited by alec73065; 05-25-2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Man there are some crazy stories in this thread can't believe I am just now finding it.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                              So I have one on myself

I moved to TX in 2005 and I wasn't able to afford or even find a lease. The first 5-6 years I hunted at Fort Hood in the unguided areas and would do some of the guided hunts. After a couple of years I was spending a lot of time up there so I decided to sign up to be a volunteer deer guide. They assigned an area to me with some other guides that had been guiding for many years. There was a list of rules that we had to read to each hunter before every hunt and get them to acknowledge they understood. One weekend when I was up there to guide they did not need me since all of the other guides had shown up and our area was partially closed for training. Since I was there anyway I put my name in the draw and got chosen to hunt another area. I hand corn in front of my stand and climb into the stand turn around and there was a big spike already feeding in front of me. I shot him and he dropped DRT, hadn't been 10 min since I was dropped off. The guide for that area texted me and asked if I shot. yes I told him and was going to gut my deer and stay in stand for a hog or coyote. He texted me back and said stay in the stand and keep hunting maybe something bigger would come out. We were then texting back and forth for another hour or so. I had rattling horns with me and would hit them every now and then. One time I did a very nice 8 point came running out of the trees looking for a fight. I texted the guide and said "Nice 8 point here now " he texted me back to shoot him. I did and he dropped right in his tracks. I got down , tagged and cleaned them both. At dark the guide texts and says meet him at the predetermined rendezvous spot. I load up at dark and head out there. The guide pulls up a little later and says wait for the rest of the hunters to get there and he would find someone to tag my second deer. I tell him no need I have tagged it with my tags and have 2 legal Texas bucks for Bell county. He looked at me and started shaking his head. I wish you would not have done that he says , I ask why. He then proceeds to tell me you can only shoot one deer at a sit on Ft Hood. They do a morning hunt until 10am and then an afternoon hunt from 2 PM - Dark. I kept the rule book in my truck since I had been guiding for 3 years myself and ask him to show me where it said that. It was not in the book , more of an unwritten rule. I tell him you told me to shoot the second buck , he agrees but he had planned on someone else tagging my spike. Also you did not say anything at the initial briefing , Plus I am a guide in another area and I pulled out our briefing sheet and it is not on their either. I had guided dozens of hunters in 3 years. I think this has to be a mistake and everything is fine. WRONG
                              We get up to the check station and of course all of the hunters are standing around to see what was shot. I back up and everyone looks at my deer and the biologist asks where the second hunter is , I told him I killed both. He proceeds to tell me that is not legal on Ft Hood, I again ask where in the book does it say that , he admits it does not. I then show him the text from the guide telling me to keep hunting and shoot the second buck. By this time the guide has left the Ft and left me on my own. I waited about 3 hours for 2 Federal game wardens to show up at the check station, it was around 10 PM , they take me into the office and let me sit for another hour it is now after 11 PM. 3 Federal Game wardens come in at once finally and the first question is "Have you ever poached a deer before ?" . I say no I have never had a game violation in my life. I tell him I have 2 legal bucks and there is nothing in the rule book saying I can't kill 2 bucks. I tell them nothing was said in the briefing and I pulled out my own briefing sheet given to my by the sportsmans center and nothing on there either. Then they say as a guide you should know better . I again show him texts, my briefing sheet and handed them my rules and regs book and tell him to show me what written rule I had violated. I also informed them I had attended all guide meetings over the past 3 years and had never heard this ever. I told them I had not poached anything and had 2 legal TX bucks. Then they started in on "no reason to get confrontational and aggressive". This went on until after midnight , they finally come back in and tell me they are going to write a citation for each deer , confiscate each deer and I would owe restitution of close to $2000. I also would lose my hunting privileges for 1 year on the Ft and would not be able to be a volunteer guide any longer.
                              I finally got off the Ft after 1 am and by this time my wife is blowing up my phone which they had taken from me, she is thinking I am hurt or worse.
                              Instead of paying the fine I showed up in Military court with the rules and regs book , my texts and my guiding brief sheet. The judge spent about 2 minutes with me and dismissed all charges and waived all fines, he agreed with me 100%. I contacted the sportsmans center to let them know and they would not drop the 1 year ban on hunting and I was not able to guide anymore there even though everything was dropped. This happened on 11/11/11, I remember it because of all 11's in the date. The following year 2012 there was a written rule of not shooting 2 deer on 1 sit. I have not hunted the Ft Since and 2 years ago the sportsmans center contacted me to see if I was interested in guiding again because they had a serious shortage of guides. I told them to go pound sand !
                              Dang that's nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                                So I have one on myself

And did you take them to court for lose of time and stealing your deer? I'd of pushed it much further knowing I was in the right

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X