No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwood, you need new buddies. Thats horrible that two or one for the matter would take advantage of hospitality.

Comment

Thats a ****ty friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
        How you mistake a 2100 lb black angus for a pig
        2100lb black angus?

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
          Backwood, you need new buddies. Thats horrible that two or one for the matter would take advantage of hospitality.
          Yes sir, I have narrowed the list down and can now count them on one hand.

Comment

I grew up hunting in Florida back in the late 80s and early 90s. Had two old gentleman that were friends with my dad come down from Maryland for a spring turkey hunt. I got them set up and went on to my morning spot. Picked them up 3 hours later and they said they killed 2 turkeys out in a thick swampy/marshy area with tall weeds. I waded out in the thick stuff and found 2 dead sandhill cranes. Keep in mind sandhill cranes were VERY protected and illegal to shoot in Florida in the 80s. I buried them in the mud and brush and told them they had missed. They were pretty convinced they had killed both "turkeys" but let it go eventually. Ended up hunting with both of them the rest of the weekend.

Comment

I'll tell on myself as well. As others have said, the lesson was learned and in my case, there was no monetary damage done. I'd been dating my wife for about a year and got invited to come out to their lease. My father-in-law has been killing deer since the early 70's and so he gave me the run down. Don't shoot the land owners goats, donkeys or cows and you'll be fine. So thats simple enough. I grew up quail hunting on western Oklahoma and can tell the difference between all three!

So I get my dad's .264 WinMag I inherited after he passed sighted it in. My dad wasn't a deer hunter but was stationed in South Carolina for awhile while in the reservers during Vietnam. He had a buddy from there that wanted to go hunting and so he went to a shop and got the cheapest thing they had. At that time it was the .264 as it's heyday was over and it was collecting dust. A three power weaver is on top and thats that.

I'm feeling good about it and we drive down to Mills County. Along the way during the conversations I asked about distance and elevating the aim point. "Oh yeah, you could do that," my FiL says. Okay. Awesome! Piece of advice! So they walk me out to the stand the next morning and get settled in. It seems like an eternity and it's cold and I'm trying to keep a good lookout. We'd walked the land the evening before and my FiL had shown me a trail where the deer were coming down. They might be there he'd said.

So it starts to get light and I see movement out in the gloom. In hindsight it is way too early to be shooting. But dang it, I see a light brown shape walking my way at what I decide is a 100 yards. Okay. I have it sighted. I'm... oh wait! Elevate my crosshairs! So I hold stead, aim just above where I'm going to shoot and pull the trigger. The peaceful morning is interrupted by my cannon going off. I look again and the shape is still there! What!? I missed! I take aim again and pull the trigger. Then I hear the bleating of a goat. Oh crap!

So less than five minutes later my FiL and wife (well, girlfriend at the time) come down the trail. My FiL calls out don't shoot me and comes up. We walk out to where I thought the deer/goat was and start looking. No blood. No body. Lesson learned. My wife later told me her dad was like, "whats he doing!?" and it took awhile to re-earn his trust haha.

Don't shoot that early. Always ID your target, especially when there are light brown goats wandering around. I saw the same goat coming down the same trail that evening and then the next morning. Felt pretty dumb.

Comment

This post and these stories have taught me: If I ever have a hunting operation or work as a guide NO ONE HUNTS BY THEMSELVES!

Comment

My poor lil nubbin buck story....
                  I have been very lucky controlling the deer herd without taking a nubbin buck. Probably 150 does and 1 nubbin. I never shoot if theres only one deer out and I have any doubts its not a mature doe, never shoot the deer that has no worries in the world, I look close to the shape of thier head cause a nubbin has a stubby face, shorter neck, does have a slimmer face from the side view.

It was the last weekend of the season and we still needed a couple more doe's. I was set up on a fence line and my uncle was driving around in the jeep to flush them out. I had a big doe hop the fence and turn to look behind her. I looked around and I was clear to go. As soon as I squeezed the trigger I saw a flash in my scope. I was thinking it must have been a bird it was going so fast and when the recoil was over, nothing looked out of place.
                  When they came to pick me up I told them I had a doe down about 180 yards away. I started walking down the fence line and in about 40 yards I can see a deer down. No way I missed judged the distance and the size on that doe that bad. Lifted her leg and it wasnt a her. Loaded him up and feeling like a idiot, I walk down to where I shot at the doe and she was laying there in the road. I hit the nubbin buck in the throat and the doe in the shoulder. FAIL!!!

Comment

Had some package hunter out of Florida come down to kill some management bucks a few years back. One of the guy brings his 17 year old son. I take him out with me and just as the sun is coming up I get a whiff of some serious azz wind. He then tells me he has to take a crap. So I give him some paper and send him off into the brush. He climbs down out of the blind and takes about 3 steps and stops. I whispered whats wrong. He turns around and yells "I **** my pants". Well hunt ruined, so I gather up everything and I go and get the truck. I made him ride in the bed as the shizz was quite loose and had blown up and out the back of his jeans and was all over the inside of his jacket. Man did that kid get teased for the next 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                      Had some package hunter out of Florida come down to kill some management bucks a few years back. One of the guy brings his 17 year old son. I take him out with me and just as the sun is coming up I get a whiff of some serious azz wind. He then tells me he has to take a crap. So I give him some paper and send him off into the brush. He climbs down out of the blind and takes about 3 steps and stops. I whispered whats wrong. He turns around and yells "I **** my pants". Well hunt ruined, so I gather up everything and I go and get the truck. I made him ride in the bed as the shizz was quite loose and had blown up and out the back of his jeans and was all over the inside of his jacket. Man did that kid get teased for the next 3 days.
                      What the hell....?

Comment

This is the best one IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          What the hell....?
                          Pretty sure Leon is older than 17 just sayin'

Comment

All I know is it was disgusting. The poor kid was walking like Frankenstein to the showers

Comment

All I know is it was disgusting. The poor kid was walking like Frankenstein to the showers
                              Poor kid. Bet he was embarassed as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                Pretty sure Leon is older than 17 just sayin'
                                lmao!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X