No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the early 90's my name was pulled for a doe hunt at the San Angelo State WMA. I
    had put in for it 4 years running as had a couple of friends.
    A week before the hunt I came down sick and was in hospital for pneumonia.
    I gave the hunt to a good friend.

On the following Saturday afternoon I received a call from the biologist letting me know my friend had shot a 8 point 2.5 year buck.
    The story was as he pulled the trigger the buck stepped in front of the doe.
    it was a clean heart shot at 75 yards.
    The hunt was for 3 doe, needless to say they asked him to pack up and leave.

He had a euro mount done on it and I still rib him every time I see it.
    A baseball cap covers all the horns..

Comment

Bump for a great thread!

Comment

Several of us were invited to a company lease out by Decatur. We arrived and they dropped us off in stands. The young man hunting with me had never hunted before. We get settled in the stand and I proceed to do my normal routine (Sleep). I never made it too sleep because I look at the young man and he has the rifle out the window and peering through the scope of a 30 30 that I had let him use. I ask real quietly what he was doing and he said he saw 2. So real quietly I grab my 270 and start looking. I can't find anything. I asked him where and he said they are headed this way through the creek bed which was heavily treed. After another couple minutes I see them and inform him to put the rifle on safety and put it back down. He says why. I proceed in telling him that we do not shoot STEERS. We had a pretty good laugh about it later when asked if we saw anything, he told them he saw 2 two pointers.

Comment

I've already posted about my BIL shooting a buck during doe season. I was sitting next to him coaching him...and he would not listen.

Now that I own property, my wife is kinda upset that I don't take her brother. I've tried explaining that he won't listen, but she keeps persisting I take him. She finally got the point when I told her she was just like her brother...she wasn't listening either.

Comment

My BIL gets a crossbow for Christmas two years ago. Why I have no idea as has not hunted since he was a teenager and has no place to shoot the ****ed thing. Then all the relatives start in on my "you should take your BIL hunting". That's all I heard from any of them. So one get together I say hey BIL why don't you come hunting with me and whack a pig or a doe. He agrees. I take BIL hunting, I keep explaining to him not to kill a baby doe but a mature do and he can kill mame wound any pig he wants. So next day drop him off at a blind. Now mind you this is a grownass 40 year old man ok. So an hour goes by and I text him "you got anything showing up" he says "I got a 10 pointer" I say "cool, no does or pigs?" no response. Another hour goes by and I text "what have you got on the corn?" he says "I got a 10 pointer". So another hour goes by and I text him that I am on my way to pick him up. So I get close to the area I dropped him and I can hear him yelling my name. Its after dark mind you. So I stop get out get flashlight and make my way to him as he keeps yelling my name. As I approach I can see he has a deer, and I say "Hey did ya get a nice fat doe" he says "No I got a 10 pointer" My stomach turns as I see the buck and it a two year old 9 point buck. I said "You have got to be kidding me man you were to kill a doe or a pig *** are you doing killing this baby buck?" He has no answer, then he says if there is some kind of fine for killing this deer I got $50.00 on me. Last and only time BIL will be taken hunting

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
              My BIL gets a crossbow for Christmas two years ago. Why I have no idea as has not hunted since he was a teenager and has no place to shoot the ****ed thing. Then all the relatives start in on my "you should take your BIL hunting". That's all I heard from any of them. So one get together I say hey BIL why don't you come hunting with me and whack a pig or a doe. He agrees. I take BIL hunting, I keep explaining to him not to kill a baby doe but a mature do and he can kill mame wound any pig he wants. So next day drop him off at a blind. Now mind you this is a grownass 40 year old man ok. So an hour goes by and I text him "you got anything showing up" he says "I got a 10 pointer" I say "cool, no does or pigs?" no response. Another hour goes by and I text "what have you got on the corn?" he says "I got a 10 pointer". So another hour goes by and I text him that I am on my way to pick him up. So I get close to the area I dropped him and I can hear him yelling my name. Its after dark mind you. So I stop get out get flashlight and make my way to him as he keeps yelling my name. As I approach I can see he has a deer, and I say "Hey did ya get a nice fat doe" he says "No I got a 10 pointer" My stomach turns as I see the buck and it a two year old 9 point buck. I said "You have got to be kidding me man you were to kill a doe or a pig *** are you doing killing this baby buck?" He has no answer, then he says if there is some kind of fine for killing this deer I got $50.00 on me. Last and only time BIL will be taken hunting
              Family just does not get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                She finally got the point when I told her she was just like her brother...she wasn't listening either.
                Greatness!

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post

The real kicker is the next day i find 2 dead does behind a terrace in the hay field that he never even looked for after he found the buck.
                  Good grief

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                    Family just does not get it.
                    x a billion lol

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                      yes there is a fine. $3500 is the going rate, if I remember right.

Comment

Great thread. We used to go to my great aunts place in Throckmorton every year for Thanksgiving. Great times and stories and the deer hunting was pretty good since she had sevaeral hundred yards of river front property on the clear fork. My brothers and I would sit around a giant wheat field in different stands and all hunt different feeders in different corners of the field. One evening we had been watching a doe and a fawn running around playing in the middle of the field. They finally moved of just before dark and we heard two shots. We all got back to the truck and asked who shot. It wasn't any of us, so we drove out. Once we got back to the house our cousin was sitting there leaning against the bed of his truck smoking a cig. He's got a $&!t eating grin on his face. We asked him if he heard the shots and he acknowledged that it was him. He was headed to sight in his new rifle and found two great targets. He started with the fawn, which was a button buck, and then moved to the doe. When asked where they were hanging, he said that he just left them because they were "just targets". Our aunt was so mad that none of us have been allowed to hunt there since. That cousin doesn't even get a head nod at family get togethers anymore.

My brothers are the only ones that will ever get a guest pass from me and vice versa. Friends stay friends away from hunting. I've been invited on many hunts and most times I come back with pics only because, like many of us here, I get it.

Comment

I have been considering putting a rule on my guest, you can shoot on my place what I can shoot on yours! Tried it a few times, and some good bucks were passed on and the does that were shot had been scrutinized for any signs of buttons or "hangers".

I have had a couple guys have oops moments, one of which was a fellow TBH'er. I wont name anybody, as it wasn't the worst thing that could happen. Told him he could shoot an axis, doe or buck, but only a stud buck. He shot a stud alright, too bad he was still in velvet and only about half grown! No big deal, just shot him before he had gotten to full size!

Comment

When I was younger we had a local cattle rancher that owned a few "smaller" pieces of land (3-400 acres each) that he let me, a buddy, and the buddy's future FIL dove hunt on. These were pretty good spots that we killed a lot of dove on, and the best part was they were free as long as we didn't mess anything up, shoot his cows, or do anything dumb. Opening morning of first split we get in the field a little before sun up and set up under a tree line to catch the birds coming over. I'm in the middle, buddy is 75yds or so to my left and FIL is about the same to my right. 10 or 15 minutes before shooting time I hear buddy's gun crack off and can tell by the muzzle flash that it was level with the ground. He immediately starts hootin and hollerin so we walk over there and find out that a doe had walked out a few yards away from him and he decided to drop her. Needless to say, we're p***** and let him know it. FIL ends up making him call the landowner and we were promptly disallowed from his properties.

Comment

After reading seven pages I have one to share. This is a second hand story from the owner of the ranch I manage and live on. My place is one of the ranches he owns, so it never being a priority vs the main ranch it kinda got wild on them. There were quite a few native cross bucks running around the ranch that needed to go. Well the owners step daughter shows up to kill one of these native cross deer. She was told to be 100% sure there wasn't a pink tag in its ear. Well he said 30 seconds after he leaves he hears her shoot. He turns the ranch truck around about runs the buck over. She ended up shooting a breeder/pet buck with a pink tag that was chasing the truck for a cookie!!!! He scored close to 300". He says they still laugh to this day about her and other people shooting the wrong deer. I guess when it's chump change to buy a new buck who cares. Luckily I get to shoot "management bucks", hope they get a good laugh about me shooting the wrong deer.

Comment

This thread is entirely too freaking good not too bump!

Comment

Working...
                                X