Nilgai Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai Thread

Been on a huge Nilgai kick lately. Researching hunts, reading stories, looking at pics. Can't get enough. Hunted these critters as a kid on the La Parra division of the Kenedy Ranch, and have been aching to hunt them again ever since. (been 10+ years)

Just wanted to start a thread for people to post Nilgai pictures, hunt stories, hunt opportunities, shot placements, or whatever other knowledge you may have about blue bulls in general.

Mine from the King two years ago. It was a friends lease and he took myself and my son down there. He now leases 17K acres of a ranch south of Falfurias that has never been hunted and I am running it for him. The aerial survey showed 538 Nilgai on the 17K acres. I just got back from down there and saw thirty or so. Mostly cows and calves this trip but have seen as many as 30 bulls in a weekend earlier this year. Grat eating as I am sure you know. Can't wait for our facilities to get done so I can start harvesting these suckers. I am not messing with them until we get our winches/cooler/etc. completed which should be pretty quick.
    Attached Files

Comment

i hunted them years ago on the king ranch w a buddy, it was one of the coolest hunts ive been on. awesome animal

Comment

Following this thread for sure!!! Nice animals Bklem

Comment

Here is the first and only one taken on the ranch so far. I made him work three days of slid labor before he got to shoot it!
          Attached Files

Comment

The price to hunt them on the King isn't really that bad. Unless you have a buddy with a place that has them

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
              The price to hunt them on the King isn't really that bad. Unless you have a buddy with a place that has them
              Joey

Comment

Here's mine
                Attached Files

Comment

Love hunting them been to the Laguna atascosa the last two years and have killed nilgai both years... Shot a cow with my now last year and went back in December and shot 4 bulls during the rifle hunt... They are smart and super keen but a blast to hunt

Comment

Originally posted by nanny_slammer View Post
                    Love hunting them been to the Laguna atascosa the last two years and have killed nilgai both years... Shot a cow with my now last year and went back in December and shot 4 bulls during the rifle hunt... They are smart and super keen but a blast to hunt

http://www.friendsofsouthtexasrefuges.org/?id=280

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                      Here is the first and only one taken on the ranch so far. I made him work three days of slid labor before he got to shoot it!
                      SOunds like an awesome setup. Let us know when the facilities are ready to go!

BTW, I would gladly put in 3 days of labor for a chance at a blue bull!

Comment

Originally posted by RAGUIRREJR View Post
                        I love to hunt down there while these hunts are going on, especially the rifle hunts. I found a trail coming off of the refuge, looks like a Nilgai interstate
                        That's where I'll be with my bow for the first rifle segment.

Comment

I hunted them on the King Ranch back in 1998-2000. My buddy worked for them and was on the Kineno hunt club. They were allowed to take 3 guest per hunt and i was one of his close friends so i went every time. Over the 3 years i hunted them with him we killed 32. About half bulls and cows. Then some dumb greedy guy started selling hunts under the table and got busted. They then stopped the whole guest thing and went with immediate family only. It was all over for me. It was a blast hunting them. Safari style chasing them down. I need to upload a bunch of old kodak pictures or get my buddy to send me some if he still has them.

Here is one i killed on a last minute invite hunt near Falfurrias a couple years ago. Notice i was dressed for work and met them at the gate. Only one we say and i took a 365 yard shot on range finder. Used a 300 weatherby and he ran about 100 yards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375198323.249814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	24225201

The good thing is my buddy that works for the King Ranch called a few weeks ago and said there gonna allow a couple guest again but they have to be assigned so no one else gets to go but them. He chose me as one of them. We start hunting them again in Oct. Heck yeah!!

Ray
                          Last edited by Poco; 07-30-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

We had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by deer99hunter View Post
                              I love to hunt down there while these hunts are going on, especially the rifle hunts. I found a trail coming off of the refuge, looks like a Nilgai interstate
                              That's where I'll be with my bow for the first rifle segment.
                              Umm-hmm!!!! I will help you clean yours if you take me along!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X