Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father In Law dug a pond for a neighbor. Spread the spoils in a few areas and his kids playing in the dirt found this head. Its in pretty good shape. Anybody know what it may be and what time period these were popular? We hope to look a little harder to see if we find more. This was in western Walker County near Bedias.

(Edit) this orange material it is made out if is very common here. I find it all the time digging post holes and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bloodstick; 02-04-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I think that might be a Gary
      https://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Gary.html

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
        Found some small ones in a cave.
        Nice toyah and perdiz!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
          Father In Law dug a pond for a neighbor. Spread the spoils in a few areas and his kids playing in the dirt found this head. Its in pretty good shape. Anybody know what it may be and what time period these were popular? We hope to look a little harder to see if we find more. This was in western Walker County near Bedias.

(Edit) this orange material it is made out if is very common here. I find it all the time digging post holes and such

Ill go with Early Stemmed on the type as the base appears to be ground although I cant be positive without holding it. A good guess would be early Archaic maybe 7,000ish years old.

The material may be petrified palm wood. the white streaks looks like syphons to me. The Bedias area is home to the finest agatized palm on earth..
          Last edited by GarGuy; 02-06-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Ill go with Early Stemmed on the type as the base appears to be ground although I cant be positive without holding it. A good guess would be early Archaic maybe 7,000ish years old.

The material may be petrified palm wood. the white streaks looks like syphons to me. The Bedias area is home to the finest agatized palm on earth..

Thanks for the info Steve. We find rather large pieces of that material a lot around here. I found one piece roughly 18” long and 8-9 inches around when digging our garden last year. My wife had it up for decoration around but it seemed to have been placed somewhere else. My home is but only a few miles from a known Bedias Indian camp. I think they were later as this head was found in a load that came from roughly 6-7 feet down in the hole.
            Supposedly there is an old road the spanish used to travel through here. The older neighbors remember when there was a treasure hunt in the 80’s when some artifacts were discovered nearby. The supposed road crosses my property

Comment

[IMG]C:\Users\SLopez\Pictures[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve. We find rather large pieces of that material a lot around here. I found one piece roughly 18” long and 8-9 inches around when digging our garden last year. My wife had it up for decoration around but it seemed to have been placed somewhere else. My home is but only a few miles from a known Bedias Indian camp. I think they were later as this head was found in a load that came from roughly 6-7 feet down in the hole.
                Supposedly there is an old road the spanish used to travel through here. The older neighbors remember when there was a treasure hunt in the 80’s when some artifacts were discovered nearby. The supposed road crosses my property

Johnny and I excavated a large site very near you. It had artifacts ranging from 200 years old to 12,000 years old. The point you have is much older than the invention of bow and arrow in the Americas.

Save that glassy petrified wood even if it isnt palm.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Johnny and I excavated a large site very near you. It had artifacts ranging from 200 years old to 12,000 years old. The point you have is much older than the invention of bow and arrow in the Americas.

Save that glassy petrified wood even if it isnt palm.

Its awesome what can be found in your own back yard.

If not for an arrow, what would a head this size be used for? Small fishing spear maybe?

Last edited by bloodstick; 02-06-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Its awesome what can be found in your own back yard.

If not for an arrow, what would a bead this size be used for? Small fishing spear maybe?

It was on a hand thrown shaft.. Likely thrown by an atalatl. Used to kill large animals such as deer and bison.

Comment

My brother had some dirt delivered to his roping pen and has found several points. He’s in Northeast Texas.

Wondering what material this is in the red one in the first pic? Jasper maybe?

Comment

All Gary related and late Archaic. Top one looks like its made of heat treated Novaculite. The rest are probably made of ogalalla chert. The dark one may be another material but I have seen ogalalla that color.

Comment

What say you fellas? Found around Freer.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                            What say you fellas? Found around Freer.
                            The closest point in my book looks like Desmuke. Yours looks very distinctive and I certainly could be wrong.

Comment

2 more

Found 2 more! Any thoughts on what they are ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Next

Can’t get the other one to load...similar but wider. Same coloring

Comment

Working...
                                X