No announcement yet.

Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first one i've ever found, the tip is broke, it's pretty big... found it at the lease in Bastrop
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
      quaterback- you should consider burning the area. Where I find a lot of artifacts in Edwards County is two large grassy fields. We burn them each year and after a rain washes the ash away- flint absolutely everywhere
      I've seriously thought about that but am afraid the whole place would go up and then I'd have some explaining to do. It is next to a big seasonal creek that I'm sure has had water holes in it for long periods of time. I"ll bet you could drag a plow through the site and come up with all kinds of goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
        I've seriously thought about that but am afraid the whole place would go up and then I'd have some explaining to do. It is next to a big seasonal creek that I'm sure has had water holes in it for long periods of time. I"ll bet you could drag a plow through the site and come up with all kinds of goodies.
        The last point looks like a Frio. You sure could plow it and find a bunch. Might be worth a little shovel work as well.

Comment

Some more surface finds from the same area. It is a very special place and no doubt a camp site where native peoples lived perhaps thousands of years ago. Every time I walk through the area in the early morning darkness on the way to my stand I get a strange feeling. It's hard to explain.

Anyone else ever feel that way?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            Recent surface finds. The one on the right here has to be very old. I found the two pieces about a foot apart.

[ATTACH]825090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]825091[/ATTACH]
            I agree with the one on the right being much older than the other two. Its an odd one but bears all the hallmarks of being a Paleo point. 10,000 plus years old. Possibly 12,000.

Comment

Steve, I know these pictures arent the best. Hopefully I can stay our of the deer stand long enough this weekend to take some better pictures in the sunlight. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Todd

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	24472457

Name:	IMG_1159.JPG
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	24472458

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	24472459

Name:	IMG_1192.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	24472460

Name:	IMG_1206.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	24472461

Comment

Dang Todd. You just put my brokes all to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                  Dang Todd. You just put my brokes all to shame.
                  Me too, those are some purdy pieces Sir

Comment

Well, to be fair, I've hunted arrowheads for over 30 years. These are just a few that I wanted to show Steve to get his opinon on age. But thanks for the compliment on the points. I'm very proud of every one I've ever picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by bubba joe View Post
                      first one i've ever found, the tip is broke, it's pretty big... found it at the lease in Bastrop

Has some qualities of a Marshall blade I found recently, your serrations are more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernCamo View Post
                        Has some qualities of a Marshall blade I found recently, your serrations are more intense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow!

Comment

Number one is a Wells and a really nice one. transitional paleo at least 9,000 years old. Number two is a woodland point and very nice but hard for me to name. Number three is a pogo and 3,000ish years old.

Comment

Paleo brokes appear to be plainview and Golondrina related. One may be a Clovis base but unsure from the pics. The one eared Andice is very nice and quite collectable like it is.

Comment

Top pic is mostly gary and some nice ones. several are transitional types between gary and Wells. Middle archaic.

The little side notched point in the center is san patrice and 11,000 years old.

I would really like to see better pics of the broad based red point toward the bottom of the top pic. The flaking is critical to ID.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Thats a Bell. Early archaic. Its a beauty even broken.
                                Thanks. Thats what I had it as, but wasn't sure as most of our findings down there are triangles/ scrapers/ bird points.

Comment

Working...
                                X