X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't you both be amazed!

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
      Cool broke I found on the Neches off of 84. Any idea what it is or how old?

Any part of an Andice is a noteworthy find, I have a hundred or so case worthy points, 4 times that in broken and don't have a single piece that I can identify as andice.

Comment

Welp, still no luck finding a complete arrowhead. But I did find 4 more broke's today. The little one looks like the tip to a bird point, but another guy told me it looks like the tip to a dart point. Never heard of a dart point. The larger piece is fairly rough, but you can tell it's been really worked. Any ideas on either point? Mason County.
        Attached Files

Comment

Found this today in a plowed field retrieving a dove. Wedding band is for scale. Not sure if it is the start of a arrowhead or a random flake from a plow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
            Alrighty, I am extremely green with arrowhead ID, so does anyone know what this broken point is? Found in Mason County. Also, what books would you recommend for ID?
            This first one looks to be a well worn down Castroville. Surface find?

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
            Welp, still no luck finding a complete arrowhead. But I did find 4 more broke's today. The little one looks like the tip to a bird point, but another guy told me it looks like the tip to a dart point. Never heard of a dart point. The larger piece is fairly rough, but you can tell it's been really worked. Any ideas on either point? Mason County.
            Unfortunately these are impossible to identify because that are extremely beat up but you are definitely on the right track! I'm guessing these are all surface finds.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
              This first one looks to be a well worn down Castroville. Surface find?

Unfortunately these are impossible to identify because that are extremely beat up but you are definitely on the right track! I'm guessing these are all surface finds.
              Yes sir they are surface finds. My issue is we manage our grazing so that we always have an ample supply of forage, therefore the only place I can really hunt is on the roads. I found 4 broke pieces Sunday along a 200 yard stretch of road that washed a little after 3" of rain. Obviously the road has been graded and that's where the damage to the points has occurred over the years. I now have a general idea where there apparently are a few camps, I just have a hard time digging blindly in hard soil. I guess I need to start though. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Edwards County Surface Find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

surface find in web county.

Appears that the ears would have probably continued on to the base if they hadn't been broken.

Comment

I had Stickman up to the Hilton to hunt for deer, but we managed to get in a couple of hours field walking for lithics also. Leon River bottom, field plowed ready to plant wheat, and alot of recent rain, I felt good about at least finding some brokes. Saturday I found a Frio base and a few other worked pieces but nothing special.

Sunday after the morning hunt, we hiked down to the river to check a couple of gravel bars I know on the property. The Leon was still running pretty high and first bar was nothing but mud. The second one, on a bend in the river, looked good so we hiked down through the mud and vines to come out on a nice little sloped penisula with sand, gravel, and mud. It was worth the effort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Early triangular insitu tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	24470704

Early triangular, I think is close to 5,000 years old. We have found a couple of other triangles nearby, but I don't see alot of this dark material, so wonder about it's origin.

Name:	Early triangular side 1 tbh.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24470705

Name:	Early triangular side 2 tbh.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24470706

Comment

Here were my Saturday finds. Comments on the 2 middle pieces is appreciated.

Name:	Nov 2016 lithics tbh.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	24472410

I have found a few of these square end pieces and they are almost chisel like. Maybe hafted on the broke off end? We find alot of shell on the river, so I always visualized a clam opener.

Name:	Clam spoon lithics tbh.jpg
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	24472411

Comment

Hogboy those look like thumb scrapers. I definitely could be wrong though.

Comment

Recent surface finds. The one on the right here has to be very old. I found the two pieces about a foot apart.

Name:	2016-11-05 13.04.02.jpg
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	24472429

Name:	2016-11-05 09.21.56.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	24472430

Comment

Here's a recent find in San Saba County. I have found 4 or 5 different points in this one spot. It's a very grassy area but there is one rock outcrop that has lots of worked flint. I'm sure there was a camp there due to all the flakes and worked pieces.
                            Attached Files

Comment

quaterback- you should consider burning the area. Where I find a lot of artifacts in Edwards County is two large grassy fields. We burn them each year and after a rain washes the ash away- flint absolutely everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
                                surface find in web county.

Appears that the ears would have probably continued on to the base if they hadn't been broken.

Thats a Bell. Early archaic. Its a beauty even broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X