No announcement yet.

Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some random finds from western San Saba County. All were found around an old spring.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      Well I was going more toward finding common ground than looking for an arguement. Discussion is good though. One thing is that i have seen dozens of pics of those points from different angles. The broke tip point looks Clovis to me...but then again, i have seen more pics ofthe other side . If iremember correctly, you cn see the remnant of a long flute chanel on the flip side with resharpening flakes intruding over it. It looks like it was resharpend with pressure flaking pretty extensively.

The new, long point looks Clovis to me as well but one side has a series of oblique flakes that made me suspect SMH. he sent pic to your friend Dr Hester and he suspected SMH as well.

Now for the Wilson, if you will look at the Wilsons Dr Hester illustrated, you will see one virtually identical to that one. Thanks for clarifying the Edwards/ensor deal. that makes more sense but its cetainly not ensor either in my opinion.
      For discussion, here are some examples of Wilsons Dr. Hester sent me... I see absolutely no technological resemblance in the one Masters posted and these. These things are pretty thick and the one in his hand is maybe 1.5"s and thin. In lithic poor areas like East Texas Wilsons my be small but in richs areas like the Wilson/coastal plains they are going to br big.

The pics of the long clovisy looking one dont show oblique flaking but if you have see better pics showing it, OK. I would just have to those pics to make a call.

The finely made one missing the tip I will still say Golondrina/barber related. The area where these were found is in close proximity to where grew up Karnes/Wilson border and have seen several thousand points from the area. I also find very similar points on my place. I see no clovis in it but I am not a professional, just a guy from the area that knows a little something about my local area.
      Last edited by Reelthreat; 06-12-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
        For discussion, here are some examples of Wilsons Dr. Hester sent me... I see absolutely no technological resemblance in the one Masters posted and these. These things are pretty thick and the one in his hand is maybe 1.5"s and thin. In lithic poor areas like East Texas Wilsons my be small but in richs areas like the Wilson/coastal plains they are going to br big.

The pics of the long clovisy looking one dont show oblique flaking but if you have see better pics showing it, OK. I would just have to those pics to make a call.

The finely made one missing the tip I will still say Golondrina/barber related. The area where these were found is in close proximity to where grew up Karnes/Wilson and have seen several thousand points from the area. I also find very similar points on my place. I see no clovis in it but I am not a professional, just a guy from the area that knows a little something about my local area.
        The grayish black point that's missing its tip was from falls county. I have a couple bigger Wilson's Ill post when I get the chance

Comment

Originally posted by masters75 View Post
          The grayish black point that's missing its tip was from falls county. I have a couple bigger Wilson's Ill post when I get the chance
          Do you mind if I share your pictures? I am super interested in parallel and obliqued finely flaked paleos from south/central Texas... by far my favorites. Wish I had better picture taking skills to show flaking better...

Here are a couple from my site that I gathered up for a quick picture. I have more somewhere just cant figure out where they are.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434238802.300601.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24386333Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434242038.126705.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	24386336Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434242048.042685.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	24386337

From Bexar/Wilson county line.

Comment

Another nice Wilson.

Comment

Was walking back into the pasture to check pig traps and found this in the road at the base of a small rise where recent rains had washed the dirt--part of a trade blank maybe?
                Need to go back and see if I can find the other part--

Comment

Here is a frame of brokes that I have at the office.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	brokes 002.JPG
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	24388035

Comment

I don't think I have posted this pic
                    Handful of stuff found in one particular area of the ranch in Edwards county.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Check out this beauty my dad found yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                        I don't think I have posted this pic
                        Handful of stuff found in one particular area of the ranch in Edwards county.
                        Look at the flute on that one point😳

Comment

Can anyone tell me what I found? It was found in Young County if that helps
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
                            Can anyone tell me what I found? It was found in Young County if that helps

What part of Young County? We hunt on the NE side next to Jack Co. I've got an old campsite pretty well nailed down.

Comment

near Jean

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Working...
                                X