Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433012207.643669.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	24383311

I've had this little guy for awhile....2.5" long

Comment

Thanks Steve I appreciate your help

Comment

M75, thats a fine piece of Clovis even if the tip is missing. Ill trade you ten nice garys for it.

Comment

Originally posted by masters75 View Post
          [ATTACH]715457[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]715458[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]715459[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]715461[/ATTACH]

Found these in Wilson county this morning. Any help id'ing them?
          By the way, the top one is a CLASSIC Wilson and from wilson Co too. its the same age as SMH. Did you show it to Dr hester as well?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            By the way, the top one is a CLASSIC Wilson and from wilson Co too. its the same age as SMH. Did you show it to Dr hester as well?
            I haven't yet, but plan on it. I got to get some more out of my frames and take pics outside in the sunlight. I have a real nice Wilson that has bands in the material ill post later

Comment

Originally posted by Truckman View Post
              I found this in southeastern Menard co. Any help would be appreciated.

Up.

Comment

Originally posted by Truckman View Post
                Up.
                That's a tough one. There are actually a few things that it could be. I'll go with a Val Verde or maybe even a Zepher

Comment

Found this one in my driveway walking to the mailbox this afternoon.

Comment

Not to argue but the top is not a Wilson unless Masters75 has giant hands. Wilsons are thick sturdy made points and that one looks thin and lite. It looks a lot more like an Edwards. The second one is not a SMH either. Not really sure what to call it other than Awesome! I would have to see some more pictures to an uneducated guess, lol. It does have a clovisy look to it.

The second post with the killer paleo with the missing tip has a lot more SMH characteristics but it has parallel flaking not oblique. It has classic basal thinning flakes (not flutes). My uneducated guess would be Barber or golondrina related. Dr. Hester would lecture me for saying this but I call similar point Golondrina-Barbers.
                    Last edited by Reelthreat; 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Found in southern Real county.

Looks like they quit on it after chipping off the right side.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Southern Real County
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                          Not to argue but the top is not a Wilson unless Masters75 has giant hands. Wilsons are thick sturdy made points and that one looks thin and lite. It looks a lot more like an Edwards. The second one is not a SMH either. Not really sure what to call it other than Awesome! I would have to see some more pictures to an uneducated guess, lol. It does have a clovisy look to it.

The second post with the killer paleo with the missing tip has a lot more SMH characteristics but it has parallel flaking not oblique. It has classic basal thinning flakes (not flutes). My uneducated guess would be Barber or golondrina related. Dr. Hester would lecture me for saying this but I call similar point Golondrina-Barbers.
                          Golondrina Barber huh?........... I guess i disagree with pretty much all of your post except the sentence where you said that point looks clovisy. I said that as well but oblique flaking on Clovis? I guess it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                            Found in southern Real county.

Looks like they quit on it after chipping off the right side.
                            100% Montell.

Comment

Golondrina Barber huh?........... I guess i disagree with pretty much all of your post except the sentence where you said that point looks clovisy. I said that as well but oblique flaking on Clovis? I guess it could happen.
                              I meant to say Ensor not Edwards... got my e's mixed up. I can tell you 10000000% it is not Wilson. I would bet my collection on it.

I don't see oblique flaking on the large point. Where are you seeing it?

What do you think the third parallel flaked point with the missing tip is? Clovis? No percussion flakes present, only parallel pressure. I have been wrong before but I have never seen a 100% parallel pressure flaked Clovis. If you have can you please post link or picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Reelthreat View Post
                                I meant to say Ensor not Edwards... got my e's mixed up. I can tell you 10000000% it is not Wilson. I would bet my collection on it.

I don't see oblique flaking on the large point. Where are you seeing it?

What do you think the third parallel flaked point with the missing tip is? Clovis? No percussion flakes present, only parallel pressure. I have been wrong before but I have never seen a 100% parallel pressure flaked Clovis. If you have can you please post link or picture.
                                Well I was going more toward finding common ground than looking for an arguement. Discussion is good though. One thing is that i have seen dozens of pics of those points from different angles. The broke tip point looks Clovis to me...but then again, i have seen more pics ofthe other side . If iremember correctly, you cn see the remnant of a long flute chanel on the flip side with resharpening flakes intruding over it. It looks like it was resharpend with pressure flaking pretty extensively.

The new, long point looks Clovis to me as well but one side has a series of oblique flakes that made me suspect SMH. he sent pic to your friend Dr Hester and he suspected SMH as well.

Now for the Wilson, if you will look at the Wilsons Dr Hester illustrated, you will see one virtually identical to that one. Thanks for clarifying the Edwards/ensor deal. that makes more sense but its cetainly not ensor either in my opinion.
                                Last edited by GarGuy; 06-12-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X