Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    First is a Tortuga. Second probably was never finished. Third was something fine with the bottom half missing.
    Thanks for the information. What do you mean by something fine? I found all of these very close together near a creek. There were a ton of flint chips everywhere. Do you think this was a former camp area? Any tips for finding more? Thanks again.

Comment

Metate?

I was given this yesterday, it was found generally in central Lampasas county. Is there anyway to determine if it was made by white settlers or native Americans?
      It is about 2 ft x 18in x about 10 inches thick, probably weighs close to 100lbs. The grinding portion is about 8”x12” and probably 3-4inches deep. Found close to a spring, the theory is that as they followed the buffalo or other animal herds thru the area they would camp in the same area and as the animals moved they flipped it over left it and came back to it when the animals returned, it was found upside down.

Or is it a sex rock (just a f’n rock)
      Attached Files

Comment

GarGuy, Your knowledge is pretty incredible. Have you spent years studying arrowheads? what are good sources of information that you use? Or are you just a genius?

Comment

Originally posted by T/Chmr View Post
          I was given this yesterday, it was found generally in central Lampasas county. Is there anyway to determine if it was made by white settlers or native Americans?
          It is about 2 ft x 18in x about 10 inches thick, probably weighs close to 100lbs. The grinding portion is about 8”x12” and probably 3-4inches deep. Found close to a spring, the theory is that as they followed the buffalo or other animal herds thru the area they would camp in the same area and as the animals moved they flipped it over left it and came back to it when the animals returned, it was found upside down.

I’m interested to hear the professionals opinions on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            I’m interested to hear the professionals opinions on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wanted to bring this back up top, hopefully to be seen by some of the resident experts. THX
              Last edited by T/Chmr; 09-21-2022, 07:40 AM. Reason: sorry it didn't bring the photo with it when I quoted

Comment

100 percent looks like a grinding stone I believe they are usually big and heavy like this too

Comment

That is a very nice metate. I have found many in sites. They were used to grind dried nuts, meats, and berries. Once again, very nice example and certainly native American.

Yes, they are usually upside down but many are dished on both sides.
                  Last edited by GarGuy; 09-21-2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
                    Thanks for the information. What do you mean by something fine? I found all of these very close together near a creek. There were a ton of flint chips everywhere. Do you think this was a former camp area? Any tips for finding more? Thanks again.
                    I have been walking/looking in Webb Co. for 30 years... look in all areas of erosion: roads, washouts,, creeks, sendero cuts, etc. Anywhere there is bare soil there are more than likely points. Webb is loaded with artifacts. It is almost worthless digging for them since the area has high erosion with a shallow hard pan so just focus on the open/eroded spots.

Comment

That is a very nice metate. I have found many in sites. They were used to grind dried nuts, meats, and berries. Once again, very nice example and certainly native American.

Thanks very much, probably very difficult to age, correct?

Comment

Thanks very much, probably very difficult to age, correct?
                        It's probably at least middle archaic. It was likely used for many generations. That's a nice one.

Oh, I agree with Reelthreat on Webb Co. Most of the soil is gone so very few places to dig.

Comment

I know where one is, but it is going to take someone in elk shape and a good pack to get it out of where it is at right now! I might start working out so I'll be ready to pack it out come December when I get invited to that ranch. I doubt they'll let me leave with it though, at least I'll be able to look at it when I go back...

Comment

Any help I'd or junk

Any help I'd would be greatly appreciated or junk?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Is there a way to date a metate? This weekend I found a pretty cool one along with the matching mano. The metate was upside down and the mano was inside it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DXTrey View Post
                                Is there a way to date a metate? This weekend I found a pretty cool one along with the matching mano. The metate was upside down and the mano was inside it.
                                Hard to date them but most are middle archaic. That one is as nice as they get.

Comment

Working...
                                X