Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you pick what job to go for out of college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you pick what job to go for out of college?

I have to start job hunting this fall to try and find an internship for the spring. The program I am in has quite a few connections and I was told to try and pick a job or area that interested me and then we would go from there. I love the outdoors but it seems unless you have deep pockets its hard to make a good living. I've looked at the oil patch and know that mainly where I want to go. I'm great with people, public speaking, and understanding folks is a plus for me. I believe I can learn how to do just about anything and am very eager to work hard. I will be graduating with a BBA in Entrepreneurship from one of the top 3 programs in the country. Suggestions, opinions, or stories about how you picked your path out of college would be great. Thanks guys. Yalls were a huge help on the "how much home can I afford" thread. I hope I can return the favor somehow.

How can I move this? Admins? Help? Must have hit back on my browser crap!

Comment

You're looking for the RECIPE for success

Comment

Any paying one is a great start. You would be a rare bird to find the perfect job in the first place you look.

Figure out what makes you happy, if you wouldn't starve to death doing it. Go for it.

Comment

You want to know how we found our jobs. Well, here's my story: I graduated from A&M in December of '75 with a degree in Wildlife Ecology, fully intending on attending Game Warden School the following fall. In the meantime I needed something to put some beans on the table, so my dad mentioned an elementary school in Mission that needed a science teacher for the spring semester. Their regular teacher had had a heart attack in class and died. The school couldn't keep anyone in the classroom as a substitute, so I signed on as a long term sub for the spring. Thirty-seven years later, I retired from that same elementary school. I guess the "long term sub" part lasted longer than I had intended. I did have to go to Pan Am U to pick up my education courses, but that wasn't bad. All in all, I wouldn't have done things any differently. As for advice, I would say: Pray about your decision, then follow your heart. Find what you like and do that.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            You're looking for the RECIPE for success
            Exactly! I don't know how the heck it ended up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Target-panic View Post
              Any paying one is a great start. You would be a rare bird to find the perfect job in the first place you look.

Figure out what makes you happy, if you wouldn't starve to death doing it. Go for it.
              Not expecting to find the perfect job first time. Just want to make a smart first choice.

Comment

My job came to me....... Wearing dress blues

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
                  Exactly! I don't know how the heck it ended up there.
                  Now that it has been moved to the campfire.....nobody will get my joke

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                    You want to know how we found our jobs. Well, here's my story: I graduated from A&M in December of '75 with a degree in Wildlife Ecology, fully intending on attending Game Warden School the following fall. In the meantime I needed something to put some beans on the table, so my dad mentioned an elementary school in Mission that needed a science teacher for the spring semester. Their regular teacher had had a heart attack in class and died. The school couldn't keep anyone in the classroom as a substitute, so I signed on as a long term sub for the spring. Thirty-seven years later, I retired from that same elementary school. I guess the "long term sub" part lasted longer than I had intended. I did have to go to Pan Am U to pick up my education courses, but that wasn't bad. All in all, I wouldn't have done things any differently. As for advice, I would say: Pray about your decision, then follow your heart. Find what you like and do that.
                    Great story and advice!

Comment

I have never heard of a BBA in Entrepreneurship.

Can you explain the degree a little?

Comment

Should a guy with an Entrepreneurship degree be looking for a job instead of starting a business?

Comment

I'm confused, I thought in the "how much house can I afford" thread, you listed a salary (presumably, your salary) and asked how much house you could buy? Was that all just complete speculation?

Comment

Pic? lol Every single person I know who has graduated in the last ten years has not had an option to pic, we where all happy when someone actually offered us something that came with a paycheck.
                            Last edited by Tx625; 06-05-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

OK youngster, you about to enter the real world. Forget all the hogwash about college degrees being the pathway to success because unless you have an engineering, medical, or law degree or something equally as specialized the degree isn't worth much. The education establishment in America is there to 1. Take your money 2. Take care of themselves 3. Provide meaningful and usefull educations. It didn't use to be that way but then the government got involved and greed took over.

By all means, decide what you think that you would like to do with your life and where you would like to do this work. Once you get muddled down in the complexities of life it becomes much more difficult to change locations so try to start in the location that you want to live in. Make a list of the businesses in the area that do what you think that you want to do. Also make a list of other businesses that do something other than what you want to do but that you would be o.k. with. Make a third list of available jobs that will pay you enough to provide food and shelter. Work your way through the lists and see where life takes you.

I went through this same scenerio with my daughter when she graduated from a "party" college with a b.s. liberal arts degree. She ended up with a good job but it was a list three job that she worked very hard at and it took about five or six years to get the salary that she thought she was worth straight out of school.

Comment

Working...
                              X