My Africa hunt. Full write up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Africa hunt. Full write up.

3 years ago I started planning my 1st trip to Africa. I research and spoke to several outfitters. I talked to friends that went. I went to the Dallas Safari Club show. I also checked out people advertising on another forum I am on.

I found Ferdi Venter safaris advertising on another forum I am on and I gave him a call. After speaking with Ferdi and a reference of his I decided to book with him. I booked about 15 months ago and just got back on Tuesday.

In short it was an unbelievable hunt.

We had planned 7 days of hunting and purchased a base package with hopes of adding a couple of animals. The packaged included Kudu, impala, blesbuck, springbuck and either warthog or duiker. I was also looking at adding blue wildebeest and zebra.

I probably sent 200 emails over the 15 months before the hunt. Ferdi always answered me honestly and pretty quick. He was very helpful and patient with all of my questions and emails. This was my 1st trip and I had so many questions.

I am going to give a detailed write up over the next several days and will include plenty of pictures.

Ferdi picked us up in Port Elizabeth and helped us get our rifles from the police there in the airport. We had about a 3 hour drive from there to get to the hunting lodge. It went by quick because we were talking about our week to come the entire time. I felt like I knew Ferdi since I spoke to him through email so many times.

When we pulled up to the ranch the 1st animals we saw were two huge eland bulls. One had a dark black face and real heavy horns.

When we got to the house it was on top of a small hilltop that overlooked a green field. In the field there were waterbuck, warthogs, and nyala.

The house was a beautiful two story home that was full of mounts and decorated very nice. It had a a pool outside.(wasn't ready for swimming since it was winter) there was a very nice bar on the inside that we may or may not have spent some time at each evening. each of us had our own room with a comfortable bed and private bathrooms.

Shortly after arriving we zeroed our rifles. They had a good bench setup and 100 yard range. Each of us had to make minor adjustments and were ready to go.

Here are just a few of the mounts in the house

Comment

That night it was difficult to sleep. I woke up without an alarm an hour before I had to. We had a few pieces of toast and coffee for breakfast and headed out.

The plan was to hunt for kudu primarily but also be opportunistic with other animals that are on my hit list.

The terrain where we hunted was mountainous and very thick. We had to use the height to our advantage. We started out high on one mountain side glassing for kudu. Shortly Elliot (our Tracker) spotted a huge kudu bull. We had some work to do to get within range though. He was 5-600 yards out when we spotted him. We were able to sneak lower on the hillside and get within 380 yards. The kudu were on to us and would not be hanging around too much longer. Ferdi setup the shooting sticks and told me to put my horizontal crosshairs on the bulls back.

(I am not used to shooting off sticks nor am I used to shooting past 250 yards. I will admit I did not practice enough to prepare myself for this.)

I fired and the shot was high. My nerves were going crazy and my lack of practice did not help. Ferdi had me chamber another round and he whistled to try and stop the bull. Now further away he stopped for just a second and I fired again. High again. I am so disappointed right now. In my mind I was over reacting thinking I was going to have a tough week if all my shots were that long.

It was now my friends turn since I missed and wasted my opportunity.

Comment

Cool deal, type faster

Comment

Waiting

Comment

Originally posted by low_tec View Post
            Cool deal, type faster
            ^^^^This!

Comment

Waiting for more!

Comment

Suscribed!

Comment

I love these threads!!!!!!!

Comment

After the miss we moved to another part of the property. We came to a flat hill top that overlooked some nice open fields. As we snuck to the edge of the bluff to glass the PH spotted a nice impala ram about 150 yards out. We were several hundred feet above the ram on the bluff and he had no idea we were there. Even though this sounds easy but several things are coming into play right now. 1st morning nerves, shooting off sticks that we are not used to and the steep angle of the shot. (Yes I have a pile of excuses)

We set up for the shot and my friend missed high.

Now all kinds of things are going through our heads. We were obviously embarrassed. We were disappointed in ourselves and had doubts to weather we were even going to be able to take all of our animals. We knew at this point Ferdi must have been thinking he has a long week ahead of him.

The best thing we could do at this point is head in for brunch.

They would have us some great food waiting on us every time we came in after the morning hunt. The food would range from eggs, warthog sausage, potatoes, toast, pasta, venison in mushroom sauce, ect. Each brunch was 5-7 items to chose from and 90% of the food was great. We did have kudu liver one time (not so great) but they had roasted chicken as a second choice because they knew these Texans might not like the liver. Boy were they correct

Comment

Yes more pics are coming soon.

Comment

After we ate we had a short rest and headed out again. The plan was to get to high points and see what we can find and scout for later hunts. We made several stops and seen plenty of animals. Just nothing within range. Around 3:30 we made our way to this tall bluff that overlooked an open field. There were 15-20 warthogs in the field. The ph and the tracker were looking for a good boar and luckily there was one. It took a while for him to offer us a broadside shot.

I was as nervous as ever. I felt so much pressure to make a good shot and get something in the salt.(as Ferdi would say). The shot was around 250 yards off sticks and from a high vantage point.

Finally the boar turned and stopped for a second. I leveled the crosshairs on high shoulder and concentrated the best i could. I was thinking don't miss, hold steady, squeeze the trigger, follow through, and DON'T MISS!!!!

BOOM!!!!! I bolt another round and see the pig running and the hear Ferdi shout great shot!!!!

The warthog stumbled just as he ran in to the brush. My adrenaline was through the roof. Plus everything was captured on video by my buddy!!!

We made our way down to the field and found good blood where the boar was shot. We did not find blood again until we entered the bush. The blood trail was an easy track at this point as I led the way. The pig did not make it more than 75 yards. The shot was great perfect dbl lung. Many high fives and pictures and my 1st African animal was down. (And a little pressure off my shoulders)

Comment

After this we moved quick to load the warthog and take it to the skinners. At this point we had about an hour of daylight left.

We drove to a different part of the property to another vantage point and as luck would have it two warthog were directly below us. I cannot tell you how high we were standing on loose rock and looking down this steep bluff to these warthogs.

The shot was less that 100 yards but straight down

This pic does not do it justice but we were in the small gap in the trees at the point of the hill.

My friend took a seated shot on a small set of shooting sticks. He made a great shot and the pig did not take a step!

I was videoing when he shot and I yelled so loud "great shot" I scared everyone and had then thinking something was wrong!! Hahaha

Comment

Great write up keep it coming!!!

Comment

Going well enough so far. Waiting on you.

Comment

Working...
                              X