No announcement yet.

Good old days of TBH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i still have my vol 1, issue 1 of "The Journal of the Texas Bow Hunter". circa 1996. this was sent via fax and was pre TBH.com

Comment

Probably around 2000. I thought I got a VE or two, but wasn't listed. I was on the hunt WildMan roped the Ram. Everyone knew everyone then. About 75 active posters then. We all invited each other to hunts. Great Times. Miss the good ole days but still

Lotta Good Folks Here

Heres the Picture from the THB Group hunt at Bowhunters Pardise...2004, I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brackettville 2004.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24178023

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
        who has been on here the longest
        Not sure about on here, but wrote the 1st article for the first Texas Bowhunters Journal. Have been through all the crashes and iterations of the site. To say that TBH has changed my life would be a huge understatement. Here are a few memories...

I once posted an ad for a trade-out of guided hog, javelina and varmint hunting at our ranch (with all meals to be provided) in exchange for laying floor tile in our ranch house. 4 guys FROM L.A. drove 1400 miles with all of their equipment, to deep S.TX to hunt, eat and lay floor tiles for 6 days! Only on TBH

All of the Doggiebonz posts.

TINK...Nuff said

TXRattler giving me his old dog kennel because he would not need it anymore. Diego still sleeps in it everyday.

The Bike Chick

My first TBH happy hour in Dallas with Rudy, Dale, the Cottons on a Walleye Wednesday.

My First Bownanza where I brought enough Boston Baked Beans for an Army, plus I brought my Son in a stroller. Neither of which was a smart idea.

Thawing all of the gizzards in the bathtub at the Best Western for the very first Team Gizzard rollout.

But most of all, being blessed to witness the UNBELIEVABLE FRIENDSHIP, GENEROSITY AND COMPASSION from this group of crazy bowhunters! The amount of time, talent, sacrifices and literally THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of dollars donated here has been nothing short of a miracle

I'm just darn glad to be here!

J.P.

Comment

This has turned out to be a GREAT thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
            This has turned out to be a GREAT thread!
            X10!!! I love this stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
              ~The Definition of a VE~

The VE or Velvet Elvis is Bowhunting’s highest honor. The inspiration for the award came from a velvet antlered buck affectionately known as “Elvis” that was repeatedly photographed by Breck “Deerslayer” Nolen in his backyard. As far as any of us know, Elvis was never harvested and like his namesake, he may still be alive. For historical record, the idea first emerged on this sacred board on July 6th, 2002 on or about 1:42PM.

In order to merit the award one must achieve the following:
              1. Take a game animal or predator using archery tackle.
              2. Take a tasteful (hopefully) LDP or “layin’ down pic” of the animal or bird (exotics count, but please no raccoons, armadillos, skunks or horny toads!).
              3. Register and share the story on the internet’s premier bowhunting discussion board, Texasbowhunter.com.
              4. Share the story in a timely fashion (last year’s harvests are not eligible).
              5. Story must come from the actual hunter (with occasional exceptions for kids)
              6. Story must be nominated for the award three times by ANY registered user of the FSOG (Fabled Screen of Green).
              7. ANY registered user is qualified to bestow the award but it is recommended that you watch a few “veterans” do it before you dive in.

{Q&A}

Q: Is there a monetary or physical award?

A: No, you already have your award, hopefully it is on the way to a qualified taxidermist.

Q: Why should I care about a dumb ol’ semi fictitious award?

A: This is Texas, it’s just plain good manners.

Q: What if I think I deserve an award but I have not got one yet?

A: Chances are you are short a nomination that should be forthcoming or you may have not met all the criteria (please review).

Q: Is the award exclusive?

A: It is exclusive in that it only applies to archery.

Q: If I don’t get a VE right away does that mean I’m not part of some secret society or clique?

A: No, Elvis thrives on heaping praise on the good people who comprise the ever-expanding universe of Texasbowhunter.com but this is a big site. Just like with bowhunting, patience is a virtue.

Q: I live on a ranch that is blessed with tons of game. Should I go on a killin’ spree to make myself look like an accomplished hunter on the Internet?

A: Uh… no.

Note: The VE Award Staff reserves the right to amend or make exceptions to the rules at any time.
              I was curious about this Velvet Elvis.

Comment

And who can forget the Tink Love Life posts. I really can't remember when I joined but I think '03. Site has changed as have I. DOn't spend much time here anymore. Still some great people here though and I have friends I would never have met had it not been for this site.

Comment

Wanna see how far our LDP quality has come.

This is El Capitan from 1999 (Michael Middleton). Back in the day, the coveted video camera had to do the LDP shot since Digital cameras were yet to be developed....affordably developed I might add.

Many do not realize...TBH.com was a testing ground for a lot of the current Technologies used in the hunting industry today. There have been countless lurkers here, checking us from Texas on "how it's done coverage" of the hunt.

At one point...there even was a www.MarylandBowhunter.com forum but...nothing out there ever duplicated what was started here! My thought is....we are Texans and this is the secret sauce missing elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    I joined a little over 9 years ago in early '04.

My brother in law "Treylog" sent me a link to a project where Michael was converting an old shipping container into a hunting cabin.
                    Trey still around?

Comment

I joined sometime around 2000 or early 2001. I don't post too much, but do a lot of reading. Even though I have only meet just a few people face to face, but I feel as though I know many people like old friends on here.

Comment

1200 folks on here when i joined.

Comment

See some old names I miss around here. Snikrep, short bow and picou to name a few. I actually saw snikrep (josh) a few weeks ago at the academy in Lewisville.

Comment

and still noone has mentioned bowhunterslady

Comment

I miss TxRattler. RIP Allan.

Comment

Late 03 or early 04 for me. Lurked for quite a while after joining.

Comment

Working...
                                X