Crossfit fellas, where y'all at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
    I beg to differ. I did CF for quite a long time, and price is one thing (of a few) that drove me away.

I used to justify the pricing by telling myself that it really was no different than having a personal trainer at another gym. But as I looked at it harder and saw that having someone attend a "seminar" for two days and calls themselves a "coach" who was told that 20% "slop" in formwork was acceptable made me think a little more that maybe it wasn't for me anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it will get you in shape, and quickly.

But in the end it's no longer the "end all, be all" for me. It's just exercise.

Sounds like you were at a bad box. The right people make all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
      I beg to differ. I did CF for quite a long time, and price is one thing (of a few) that drove me away.

I used to justify the pricing by telling myself that it really was no different than having a personal trainer at another gym. But as I looked at it harder and saw that having someone attend a "seminar" for two days and calls themselves a "coach" who was told that 20% "slop" in formwork was acceptable made me think a little more that maybe it wasn't for me anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it will get you in shape, and quickly.

But in the end it's no longer the "end all, be all" for me. It's just exercise.
      you are correct - It's just exercise - and whether you take the Crossfit route or go another route your still doing something for yourself that a lot of folks won't do. I don't think Crossfit is the "end all, be all" for everyone, but it is for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
        Sounds like you were at a bad box. The right people make all the difference.
        Perhaps, but it didn't start that way. There was a noticable change over time, even my wife (Who was a certified coach with them) noticed it. It changed from a "family" into a "business".

Also, I began to take issue with the actions of CFHQ with the way they run their show and treated very respected members of the CF community.

But I'm not here to bash CF or those who still work out with them, and really don't want this to come off as such.

I will say since the wife and I have started Rip's "Starting Strength" program, it's a helluva lot of fun watching my girl move heavy weight, and the "people watching" in the Globo-Gym is very entertaining between sets.

I still follow a few boxes here in town and saw 13.1 when it posted up. I'd guess the amount of folks who get more than one round will be less than 10%. That WOD looks freaking brutal.

Comment

We Adrian yesterday. It hurt me pretty bad. The last few weeks I've been feeling pretty good about my improvement in strengths, endurance, and agility, but Adrian left me hurting.

Comment

Sept 17 2011 is when I started at 303#'s. Got down as low as 217 back up to 225 but i contribute that to muscle mass. I am way stronger than I was when I started. Battled through a couple injuries that set me back a little. I still smoke and that kicks my butt. Hope to be done with that in a couple weeks since I started buproprin to help me quit. I work out 5 days a week at crossfit misfits in woodway. www.cfmisfits.com
            I signed up for the open and i am sure 13.1 will be 17 min. of pure beating and for those that get any of the 210lbs snatches you are true beast.

Comment

My first attempt at 13.1 is in the books. I got through the first 100 reps in 4:55 and hit a wall at the 135lb snatches as expected so spent the rest of the time trying to snatch 135lbs as the most I have ever attempted before was 95 lbs. About half way through I completed the most ugly 135lb snatch PR anybody has ever seen. My score was 101/4:55. I am going back tommorow to ease through the first 100 reps to save myself for an attempt to complete more of the 135lb snatches

Comment

I did it a bunch in the summer, but stopped once football started. After those workouts, I've never felt more accomplished! I was dead @$$ tired after them, but never felt better! I can't wait to get the time to start back up again!

Comment

Can't put a price on the level of fitness you get from crossfit. It's not for everyone though. You have to be competitive and willing to dig deep to get the big results.
                  Just curious, what do you pay in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by RGarza34 View Post
                    where is that located?
                    In Belton behind the Walmart. It's in between a day care and a mechanic. Great place with lots of friendly supportive people. One of the coaches is a two time Olympian and holds a record in one of the lifts.

Comment

Originally posted by texasrig View Post
                      In Belton behind the Walmart. It's in between a day care and a mechanic. Great place with lots of friendly supportive people. One of the coaches is a two time Olympian and holds a record in one of the lifts.
                      Thanks! I need to look into it!

Comment

13.1 yesterday. 112 Reps, it was tough. I'll give it another shot, I believe I can go around 120. 2 of my buddies battled it out yesterday and went 159 and 160, it was impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by CitifiedBowman View Post
                          $165/ month unlimited membership.

Comment

$165/ month unlimited membership.

Dang that's a lot! I think I'm in the wrong business...maybe open up my own crossfit in my empty shop up here at my office. Leggy definitely should since he's got some darn good equipment in his garage and the know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                              My first attempt at 13.1 is in the books. I got through the first 100 reps in 4:55 and hit a wall at the 135lb snatches as expected so spent the rest of the time trying to snatch 135lbs as the most I have ever attempted before was 95 lbs. About half way through I completed the most ugly 135lb snatch PR anybody has ever seen. My score was 101/4:55. I am going back tommorow to ease through the first 100 reps to save myself for an attempt to complete more of the 135lb snatches
                              I mis-quoted here - I got through the first 70 reps in 4:55, not the first 100. I slugged out the set of 30 burpees as I knew I wasn't going to be able to complete the set of 135lb snatches and just wanted to fly through the first set of burpees and snatches to make my tie-break time as quick as possible because I knew there would be a TON of people just like me that would hit that wall at 100 reps due to the wieght of the second set of snatches. After I got that one 135lb snatch up my tie-break time became not near as important, but I think if I go back and ease through the first 100 reps and leave myself 7-8 minutes on the 135lb snatches I can muscle a couple more of them up.

As soon as my wife and son get out of school for the summer and I am not having to get kids ready for school and daycare in the mornings I am going to dive head first into the 6:00AM Outlaw programming class 3 days per week as I have not done much olympic lifting and having the strength to do 135lb snatches, but not the knowledge/form to get them completed yesterday REALLY hacked me off! We recently did a heavy lifting spree for about 3 months but were concentrated more on powerlifting movements such as back squat/deadlift/strict press/etc.etc and the gains I saw were shocking so I think a few months of the outlaw programming and learning the technique to some of the technique required Oly lifts will help me out a TON. The snatch is very comparable to the muscle-up in my opinion (Lots of folks have the strength to do it, they just don't have the technique to get it completed). I picked up on the muscle-ups pretty quick so I sure hope I am able to pick up on the snatches and jerks the same way with some focus on them.

Good work Bret! Go to that dark place when you give it another go and blow that old score out of the water

Comment

Originally posted by CitifiedBowman View Post
                                Ours is $100/month for 3 days per week or $125/month for unlimited

Comment

Working...
                                X