Tax return question - Is it fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by art745 View Post
    Which proves you didn't read the thread... Since I'm against the EIC and capital gains but i guess you just didn't bother to read....brilliant
    Thanks....I gotta get some work done.....gotta keep those entitlement programs funded with my tax dollars!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      Shouldn't get more then you paid, any more then you paid in taxes, in my book is the same as welfare.
      X100 well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Thanks....I gotta get some work done.....gotta keep those entitlement programs funded with my tax dollars!
        Thousands in the south depend on you!!

Comment

The thousands will have to wait. I'm working around 14 today... got to get a head start on bowhuntntxn's bonus next year. =P

Comment

Yep.....and millions that voted for big ears too.

Comment

Originally posted by KSHogman View Post
              I had to pay $48,000 last year I'm sure glad it went to good use
              I wish I had to pay 48,000. in income taxes a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                Yep.....and millions that voted for big ears too.
                Don't forget the toofs

Comment

I read this on a comment section under an article on EIC....

1. 26 million taxpayers used the EIC in 2010 and it has been been reported that over 6 million did not take advantage of this so called “tax credit”. IRS has become the new handout among US citizens with help from legislation of the EIC and child tax credits. I helped file my daughters return this year. She and my son-in-law earned $23,000 and payed $1400 in federal income tax. After filing she was due $5300. A gain of $3900. In essence she is getting paid by the government. Every income earner should pay federal taxes to enable the federal government to run as well as to fund federal programs. How is this going to succeed if tax revenues are being depleted by these tax policies? Not to mention how will we be able to pay for our National Debt of nearly 14 trillion. On the other hand the EIC does encourage people to work if they know about it. The problem lies that the EIC should help reduce ones federal tax bill not be a handout for many workers.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    This isn't really a question of morals here. Because you can tell me with 100% certainty that if you were eligible for the EIC, you would choose not to use it? And what would you do if your tax professional checked the box for you, and your return was larger than you expected? Would you return the money with a note saying you were over paid?

I have stolen nothing from you. Your government has. It is merely coincidence that I happen to be eligible for something you are not.

So don't hate the players, hate the game.
                    So, you agree that the government is stealing from me to pay you. To me, that is the same thing as stealing. Kind of like receiving stolen property. If you dont actually steal something, but someone else does, and give it to you and you know it is stolen, then you can be charged with a crime. You are doing the same thing here. You are not actually stealing from me, but in your words, "your government has", and is giving to you and you are accepting it. So, technically, you are stealing from me.

Does that make it right for the thug who steals a gun and sells it to someone else, just because they are eligible for it? The other thug who buys the gun is eligible to buy it, but I am not eligible to buy, because the thief chooses to go sell it to his thug buddy. Can the thug buddy claim the same thing you are claiming that "it is ok, because I was eligible" to own this gun, even though I know it is stolen.

And yes, if I was eligible for the earned income credit, I would use it. BUT, I would only use it, if it were available to everybody and everyone who actually EARNS an income, WITH A JOB. I would not use the credit like those because they have 8 kids, or are illegal, or choose not to get married because then they would make to much money to get this credit. And if my tax professional checked it, with out me knowing, then once I found out about it, 1.) they would not be my tax professional anymore and 2.) I would try to give it back. Again, just how I was raised to know that what I did not EARN, is not mine, and I am not entitled to it simply because of some loophole.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
                      So, you agree that the government is stealing from me to pay you. To me, that is the same thing as stealing. Kind of like receiving stolen property. If you dont actually steal something, but someone else does, and give it to you and you know it is stolen, then you can be charged with a crime. You are doing the same thing here. You are not actually stealing from me, but in your words, "your government has", and is giving to you and you are accepting it. So, technically, you are stealing from me.

Does that make it right for the thug who steals a gun and sells it to someone else, just because they are eligible for it? The other thug who buys the gun is eligible to buy it, but I am not eligible to buy, because the thief chooses to go sell it to his thug buddy. Can the thug buddy claim the same thing you are claiming that "it is ok, because I was eligible" to own this gun, even though I know it is stolen.

And yes, if I was eligible for the earned income credit, I would use it. BUT, I would only use it, if it were available to everybody and everyone who actually EARNS an income, WITH A JOB. I would not use the credit like those because they have 8 kids, or are illegal, or choose not to get married because then they would make to much money to get this credit. And if my tax professional checked it, with out me knowing, then once I found out about it, 1.) they would not be my tax professional anymore and 2.) I would try to give it back. Again, just how I was raised to know that what I did not EARN, is not mine, and I am not entitled to it simply because of some loophole.

The same government that steals from you also steals from me. And redistributes to millions, not just me. And millions of those getting the credit actually have jobs and pay thier taxes just like you and me.

I totally agree that some reform is necessary and it woul done best if persons had a little stricter qualifications to earn a credit. But it is what it is right now, and these are the rules we all have to deal with and operate within.

So like I said earlier, I am not the embodiment of what you think is a crime against you, but if that is how you feel so be it. I am just a dude who is trying to do the right thing and make it through the world as best I can. If because of my financial standing the government chooses to allow me an exception you are not entitled to, it isn't my fault. I didn't write the rules to be in my favor, it just works out that way. I wouldn't mind not being eligible for it, because that would mean I have a much larger salary, and more disposable income available. But that isn't how it is.

I have a job, claim the correct number of dependants, report all of my income and pay taxes accordingly. What more do you want me to do? Especially since companies advertise it is their duty to find you all of the refunds available, including EIC???

Comment

Bottom line would be, us a middle class citizens are getting shafted and dwindled in numbers because that's what Oval want it to happen then we become poor then we become dependent on them. When that happens, its easier for them to control us. There's no other way around it or better way to explain this.

Comment

How do you figure you "pay" taxes, when you pay in $2k but get back $3k?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                            How do you figure you "pay" taxes, when you pay in $2k but get back $3k?
                            dude....Just answer the questions honestly and its EARNED income credits You must EARN those kind of loopholes and the govt mandates this program so it must be moral. The people we vote into office do it, why cant we get a piece of the pie. And did you ask about fairness, oh yeah, fairness is completely subjective and can/will be interpreted in many different ways.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                              dude....Just answer the questions honestly and its EARNED income credits You must EARN those kind of loopholes and the govt mandates this program so it must be moral. The people we vote into office do it, why cant we get a piece of the pie. And did you ask about fairness, oh yeah, fairness is completely subjective and can/will be interpreted in many different ways.
                              Not one time did I ask anything about fairness. I did however point out that fair is subjective. And if my lower level of income earns me a benefit, then so be it. Like I said before, I didn't write the laws or set up the income tables.

Maybe saying I pay my taxes could be misleading, but I have the proper amount with held from my pay. And more times than not even with EIC, I have had to PAY taxes at the end of the year. Just because you get EIC does not ensure a windfall of cash.

As far as your piece of the pie, maybe you should ask the people you voted into office about that. I have no control over it either way.
                              Last edited by bowhuntntxn; 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Are we really dogging a family for following the rules and accepting money the Government is giving them after they have paid what it is deemed they owe, or is our angst more correctly pointed at those that break the laws knowingly to exploit a loophole ? (such as those pointed out in the video)

Comment

Working...
                                X