Atlanta State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlanta State Park

Anybody ever hunt in Atlanta State Park? We have drawn a hunt there in December.

I haven't hunted there before but it is one of the parks in my region, so I know a little about it. It is doe only and you are assigned stands by drawing. Big penalty if you shoot a buck, so be careful. For a while, the deer were really overrunning the park, but I think the numbers have declined in recent years. Call Mike Knox, the park manager and ask him. He can tell you what the oulook is for this year.

Todd

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the same hunt they put on at Huntsville State Park. We opted for Atlanta because they had an 88% kill ratio there last year. Pretty good odds compared to the other locations.

Comment

Here is the lowdown on the Atlanta hunt for this year. I gave Mike a call and asked some questions for you (telephone at the park is: 903-796-6476).

He said they killed 22 last year but that early this year they were seeing almost no deer and he was getting concerned. However, in recent weeks they have been seeing a lot more deer, and he thinks the hunts will go well.

In recent years they have put corn out at stands, but they have noticed that it doesn't really seem to help draw the deer in. However, he said that if you want to bring your own corn and put it out at your assigned stand(s) that it would be OK to do so.

The hunt is spike and antlerless. I know from stories that I have heard that if you kill a branched deer, they will call the gamewarden immediately, kick you off the hunt, confiscate the deer, and give you a ticket. So, just be mindful of this and make sure that if you shoot something it is either a doe or spike.

I hope this helps.

Todd

Comment

Thanks!

Appreciate the info, we are looking forward to going. We get drawn every 2 years somewhere. Favorite place is Mason Mountain WMA, great camp house and beautiful country. Time spent with friends in the great outdoors, what a great way to hunt.

Comment

I hunted there a four or five years ago and had a great time. There were nine or ten deer killed on our hunt.The blinds were made with wooden pallets and t-post but served there purpose. Just bring a comfortable chair and enjoy.

Comment

Working...
            X