Talk to me about barn cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about barn cats

Seems like ill never be able to keep the little field mice under control. Putting a few traps out every night just doesn't cut it. I have a separate 3 car garage and barn. Is there a certain type of cat to get? Get em as a baby or adult? Will they mess with my daughters pet rabbits? Chickens/baby chicks? I've never owned a cat and have never been a big fan of them, but I'm tired of these little field mice in the garage.

No

Comment

Our ranch owner uses them but they do quickly multiply if you don't get them fixed. Some are better than the others but they do keep the critters down. We never see any mice, which is a really good thing, for me.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtechlady View Post
        Our ranch owner uses them but they do quickly multiply if you don't get them fixed. Some are better than the others but they do keep the critters down. We never see any mice, which is a really good thing, for me.lol
        Oh, and theirs are no particular kind, some are just strays that find their way to the ranch.

Yes, they work, IMO

Comment

Cats are of the devil.

Comment

Not trying to be dramatic but I knew a farmer in Silverton that had a barn cat jump down from the rafters on top of one his grandkids that was visiting and ripped the little boy up pretty good. Over 100 stitches required to close him up. I think the cat was obviously not used to little kids and was being territorial for sure but this was a little unusual for a cat. I don't think the cat survived the 12 ga. after the ordeal but I think as long as the cat was accustomed to children you might be o.k.

My brother had a barn cat and it was a mouse and bird killing machine. He was a huge cat. I asked him what he was feeding that cat and he told me just a little cat chow and that he ate so many mice and birds that he hardly ate his food.

Good luck.

Comment

Rat terrier!

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                Rat terrier!
                there ya go. A killing machine!!

Comment

312- we had them on the farm/ranch growing up. There were several of them, but they kept to themselves. We never fed them, they ate whatever they killed. As far as i can remember we never saw any rats/mice. They are some killing machines.

Comment

They can be quite an asset, I've had them for years. Just look on southeasttexas.com for anything but a house cat. I'm sure there are plenty of free ones. Bring it home feed it every day for a week or so, then just feed it about once a week. If you feed it more than that it'll get lazy and not hunt.

Comment

they work, but don't put rat poison out if you want them to live. Also would help if they had a water source.

Comment

The ranch I hunt has a bunch of them and our camp house is mouse free thanks to them. I've never even seen a mouse **** so I know they are doing their job.

Comment

Id say get two. We have 2 females that get everything!!

and they don't multiply

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                            cats are of the devil.
                            x100

Comment

they mind their own

Comment

Working...
                              X