Ford Engine - 5.0 V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heath,

Have not gone through the responses but Dad just got the king ranch 4x4 eco boost 6cyl...he really does not like the power band and says it takes getting used to & gas mileage of his has been disappointing to say the least.

Overall, he likes the truck but wished he had gotten an 8cyl...REALLY wishes he would have picked the Raptor (which I think is pretty snazzy for gent his age!!)

He's hoping I can be in position to take over this one next year and he will jump over to the raptor...which would be fine with me if my wallet will allow.

The only thing I will demand on my next new truck will be those air conditioned seats...holy smacks, that is MUST have for south TX.

I thought heated seats were cool, but AC seats are the BOMB amigo!!

Comment

Heath, I just bought a 2012 FX4 Ecoboost 3 weeks ago. I love it! The F150 forums are a great place for info, including all of the shuddering problems (5 mph and 55 mph) and the loss of power during high humidity/rain.

I only have 1500 miles on mine so it's tough to give a verdict.

I have the 3.73 rear end, and this truck moves at low speed. The turbos are nice for passing. Sits up higher (stock) than my old Chevy Silverado. Probably 2-3" taller. I actually need to use the nerf bar to get in/out.

You'll love it. Don't hesitate to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by lnester View Post
        Heath, I just bought a 2012 FX4 Ecoboost 3 weeks ago. I love it! The F150 forums are a great place for info, including all of the shuddering problems (5 mph and 55 mph) and the loss of power during high humidity/rain.

You'll love it. Don't hesitate to buy one.
        lol you will love it as long as you dont mind shuddering between 5 and 55 and loss of power in the humidity/rain...

Comment

Originally posted by kelley350x View Post
          lol you will love it as long as you dont mind shuddering between 5 and 55 and loss of power in the humidity/rain...
          They have either fixed the problem or I have been lucky.

I have not had either problem in mine. I have had it since July and live/drive/work in south Louisiana. It rains 3 times a week here and the humidity is always over 85-90%.

Heath, if you want an electric rear locker you have to get the 3.73 rear end. (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
            Heath, if you want an electric rear locker you have to get the 3.73 rear end. (I think)
            Looks like it comes on the 3.55 as well.

Comment

2012 FX4 with the eco and 3.73 gears. 9800 miles currently and averaging 17.5 miles in about 50/50 city/highway driving. If I keep the truck at 70mph or under the highway mileage is 20-21 unloaded. Highway mileage really falls off between 75-80 (right around 1900 rpm) because you stay in the boost more often. Most of my highway driving is between 78-85.

Test drove the 5.0 and the eco and the power seemed slightly better in the eco. The V8 definitely sounds better. In the end I chose the ecoboost because I wanted a slightly lighter front end and what I thought was going to be better fuel economy. The real world fuel economy seems to be a push with a possible edge to the ecoboost.

Power delivery on the ecoboost does take a little getting used to. Many describe it as a mini-diesel and I tend to agree. Truck previous to this was a 2001 duramax 4x4, while the duramax was a lot more truck than this f150 eco, the slight hesitation when you light foot the throttle is very turbo diesel esque. Upside is great fuel economy if you can keep your right foot out of it. I don't do that often in town or on the highway.

This is my first Ford product and I'm impressed so far. Only real complaint with the vehicle is the Traction Control and Vehicle Stability software. 99.9% of the time it is completely unobtrusive, but get out in a pasture on private land and try to cut a few donuts or drift the rear end a little bit and you'll find the understeer to be a real problem. You can disable most of the nanny programs, but get it close to 180 degrees sideways and the TC and VSC decide you've gone too far. Haven't driven a newer Chevy or Dodge or Toyota to comment on if this is true for all newer vehicles, so take it with a grain of salt.

Rear locking differential is very nice to have. Worried a little about the completely open rear end on wet streets, but it hasn't been a problem at all for me. The locking differential in this truck is much better than the one in my duramax, and comparable to the ARB equipped vehicles I've driven. One note, in 2WD and 4H the locker disables at 26 mph. 4L it disengages at 56 mph. This locker disengagement coupled with the TC and VSC makes the understeer a bigger problem, and it will surprise you the first time it happens.

Overall very satisfied with the truck. Rides great, tows easily, and will easily scratch the tires going into 2nd in stock form.

Comment

One other thing I forgot to mention. The intercooler for the Ecoboost is very low, and damage caused by debris is NOT covered under warranty.

If you plan on driving off pavement much at all a screen or some sort grill for the intercooler opening is almost mandatory. I have a small nick on the intercooler from what looks like a small stone and need to get a grill or cover before hunting season gets into full swing.

Comment

That is good info, Ride_Klein. Thanks.

Comment

Here she is. Went with the Eco Boost in the King Ranch. Pretty sweet ride.

Click image for larger version

Name:	King Ranch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24133414

Comment

Eco

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                        Here she is. Went with the Eco Boost in the King Ranch. Pretty sweet ride.

[ATTACH]411519[/ATTACH]
                        Big pimpin'

Needs a couple stickers!

Comment

I have a 2012 Eco...16,000 miles and Love it!. Average 17mpg and mainly drive hwy. One down fall, the name does not live up to the gas mileage it gets...IMO

Comment

Congrats Heath. Give us some reports later on.

Comment

Welcome to the Eco-Club

Comment

Nice truck Heath!

Comment

Working...
                                X