Ford Engine - 5.0 V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    That's good, because the 5.4 is a piece of junk!

They were good for 300,000+ miles though!

What? Sorry Dale, but you're sadly mistaken. The 5.4L has been listed as one of the best V-8's by Consumer Reports and for good reason. Their a very good motor with great reliability. They did have some issue's with the 3V Spark Plugs, but that really has been it. You'll probably find more 5.4L V-8's on the road with 200K+ miles right now than the great 350 from GM.

Ok, back on topic. Great looking truck Heath! Hope you enjoy it and give us some feedback as time goes along. I hope they put that motor in the Expedition at some point.

Comment

Nice! Congrats to you!

Post up some updates once you drive it a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Bev0 View Post
        I have a 2012 supercrew with the 5.0. I'm very happy with it. Mine has the 3.55 rear end and pulls my camper like it's not there. Acceleration is darn impressive. I've taken a couple road trips in it and averaged 21 mpg. Around town it's getting 17. I was torn between the eccoboost and 5.0 and honestly felt like I was making a safer decision going with the 5.0. Call me old fashioned, but I want more than a few years worth of history before I call the eccoboost dead solid. I can't argue the performance the eccoboosts put out though, 213 cubic inch motor....crazy.
        Same here! I love my 2012 Crew Cab 5.0 F150. It has so much power it will snap your head back with G Force. Pulls boat or loaded UTV's and trailers with no effort at all. We actually get better mileage than the Ecoboost and a friend with high up Ford info reccomended waiting a few years on the Ecoboost to give them time to perfect it.

Comment

Congrats on the new truck. I hope you enjoy it and have great luck with it for many miles....

Comment

Originally posted by Ecoboost View Post
            Guys that have the ecoboost and haven't had problem don't use their trucks like I do! I pull a 22ft boat and multiple trailers. Hell I pulled a 14" trailer to IL and back with two four wheelers and averaged just under 9 mpg... I have the max tow with 373 gears. That was not going the speed limit... Lol 85mph most of the way. This motor will pull!!! There isn't a half ton truck that would touch it IMO! However the problems I'm having aren't unusual! Google it! Ford Does NOT have a fix for the stumbling problem! They ref lashed the ECU and added a POS plastic shield to block the intercooler that they say is the problem.

Listen i was merging on to the interstate and trying to pull in front of a semi in the rain. The truck fell on it's face! Like no power! I hit the hazard lane and barely avoided be run over by the truck! This no joke! Be careful! Do your research there is proof all over the web and YouTube! Every time it rains I have this problem! I called ford they said they are working on a fix. I love the truck hate that I have to deal with this. The truck is a 2012.
            Couldnt have said it better. I love my ecoboost, great power and torque, fast as hell, and WILL be the game changer in half ton trucks...Its just not there yet. I have had the same exact problems with mine and like you say, its a common problem. I wish i would have bought the 5.0. Fuel mileage is about the same.

Comment

For those of you that have the 5.0 and 3.73 rear end, what kind of gas mileage are you getting in the city and on longer highway trips?

Comment

Originally posted by chad c View Post
                big pimpin'

needs a couple stickers!
                [ATTACH]421239[/ATTACH]

Looks good Heath.
                Last edited by SAC; 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I like my 3.73 gear. If you plan on putting larger tires on it, you will need it. Besides, these things have a 6 speed transmission. Worth it to me to have the 3.73 for the tires I want to run.

Comment

Update on the MPG's Heath?

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      What? Sorry Dale, but you're sadly mistaken. The 5.4L has been listed as one of the best V-8's by Consumer Reports and for good reason. Their a very good motor with great reliability. They did have some issue's with the 3V Spark Plugs, but that really has been it. You'll probably find more 5.4L V-8's on the road with 200K+ miles right now than the great 350 from GM.
                      Think what you want, I guess. I don't need a magazine to tell me anything about an engine though, and especially not THAT one! I've been in a handfull of 5.4 trucks, spent a lot of time in 1, and know guys who've had several more. The 1 I spent quite a few thousand miles in over the course of 5 years was a gutless heap with 3.73s.....even on the rare occaision that it ran right. To the man, the guys I know who've had them hated them. These aren't guys who haul/tow very much weight either, just basic work trucks. They all had them in the shop for various things and none kept them much over 100,000k miles.....most didn't make that. That last sentece of your paragraph isn't even worthy of a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        That last sentece of your paragraph isn't even worthy of a response.

Congrats on the new ride Heath, she is sweet!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X