Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The useless, but interesting facts thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africanized bees will actually come after you, and all it takes for them to attack, is if they just smell you (i.e. walk far away and/or downwind from any bee hive).

(We have an 81 y/o bee keeper that run's hives on our place in Houston County, and he has 250 hives throughout the county. He told us that he has multiple hives that are Africanized hives....I get the "heebee jeebies" just thinking about them!!)

Comment

Mad Cows are in fact..not angry.

Comment

There is only one documented Brown Bear and Polar Bear mating on record. The hybrid was shot and killed by a hunter.

Comment

Polar bears and penguins don't share the same habitat.

If they did, we would have some really fat polar bears.

Comment

It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up. The frog throws up it's stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of it's mouth. Then the frog uses it's forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again.

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
              Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.
              Is that rats or illegal immigrants??

Comment

The slave cylinder on a 2006 Madza Tuibute is INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING so you have to drop the tranny to replace it! I found that out yesterday when mine went south. I would like to shoot the guy that came up with that bright ideal.

Comment

A pig will not eat a cucumber.

My grandma always told me that. I tested the theory when I raised hogs in high school and they didn't eat it.

Comment

The toothbrush was invented in Arkansas...if it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush. :-)

Comment

i have a question.

what does P.S. mean when used in a letter?

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                        i have a question.

what does P.S. mean when used in a letter?
                        P.S. Means Post Script

Comment

thanks viejo!

Comment

now what does the old saying "mind your p's and q's" mean?

Comment

de nada.

Sharks and rays are the only animals known to man that don't get cancer. Scientists believe this has something to do with the fact that they don't have bones, but cartilage.

I've also heard that eating cartilage helps ward off cancer. Not sure if that's true, but I always chew on the cartilage of chicken when I eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                                now what does the old saying "mind your p's and q's" mean?
                                Hmm, not sure. There are a number of ideas. Here's one:
                                The printing industry gives us other popular phrases, such as "mind your 'p's and 'q's." The moveable block type had the letters in reverse so they would read correctly when imprinted on paper. Apprentices had to remove the type from the pages and return the blocks to their upper and lower cases. Each drawer in the case held a different size of letters, and each drawer was divided into compartments (called sorts) for each letter. The letters 'p' and 'q' could easily be mistaken, so the master printer would advise their apprentices to mind their 'p's and 'q's.

This page talks more about it:
                                The idiom in English mind your Ps and Qs is puzzling, as there is no very obvious origin for it. The puzzle is investigated.

Comment

Working...
                                X