rifle poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-06 - Still - Americas - Best article

Good read if your making a rifle choice and don't have a safe full of guns.

The cartridge first known as “Ball Cartridge, Caliber .30, Model of 1906” is without question the most famous American rifle cartridge, not only in our own country but throughout the world. In 1903 we replaced the Krag-Jorgensen in .30-40 Krag with the long-serving and much-loved 1903 Springfield and a new .30-caliber cartridge. The Springfield was a Mauser clone, its rimless cartridge similar to Mauser’s designs, but longer with more case capacity. The initial 1903 cartridge was loaded with the same 220-grain roundnose bullet as the Krag, but in 1906 the bullet was changed to a faster and more aerodynamic 150-grain spitzer. At the same time the case neck was shortened by .07-inch, thus the Model of 1906—the .30-06—went forward to make history. The .30-06 served the United States in both World Wars, the Korean conflict, the early years of Vietnam, and a dozen banana wars in between. It was chambered to the Springfield, the Pattern 14 Enfield, the Marine Corps’ Johnson semiauto, the Garand, the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), and several versions of the Browning machinegun. Clear into my time, the 1970s, the .30-06 was still seeing use both with snipers and in the Browning light machinegun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleu View Post
      Agreed. I love my 280!
      X3!!!!

Comment

.270, .30-06, .308, .243 in that order

Comment

I would shy away from the smaller calibers, mainly because of the distance, I have always hated when i didnt get a pass thru. Always a better blood trail from the exit wound. But, a deer without both shoulders cannot get up and run off, just saying. .270 .280 .308 30-06 which ever one you shoot the best.

Comment

For what you want to do therenis no doubt the answer. I think only one person above mentioned it. .257

Comment

200yds isn't much of a task for any of the popular whitetail calibers. That said based on 300wm being too much recoil:

25-06, 7/08, 270, 280, 30-06

270 short mag if wanting a smaller magnum

Comment

Short action:
                260 Rem
                7mm08

Long action:
                30-06

Any of these will suit your needs beyond 200yds.

Comment

Working...
                X