What to do to hunt speed goats in WY.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do to hunt speed goats in WY.?

Anyone know what is required to hunt speed goats on private land in Wyoming.
    Drawings, tags, fees, etc...
    I have a friend who owns land there (out of state landowner) and when he was showing me pictures of his place I noticed it is overrun with the little devils!!
    How do they react to pop-ups? Best ways to bow hunt them? Do they grill good?
    Sure would like to put a lope on the wall.

Can I go?

Comment

WBC, the canadian I hunted with this last summer, hunted them the summer before in WY. Said it cost him $200 for a tag. When he got to the ranch he met a little old ladie that showed him where his group would be sleeping. Then she said "best of luck, now go have fun". Big ranch and he had his goat the second day.

You might send XTBrian, who now lives there, an e-mail

Comment

I would try to get with Brian (XTBrian). He moved up there this past summer. He can probably tell you what you need to know.

I am not sure about hunting on private land, or with landowner tags (if you have them), but on public land you have to draw. Depending upon where the property is, the success rates are pretty good. Most things that I have read say that you should be able to get drawn at least every other year.The prices are not bad (just over $200, and less for does).

The Wyoming Fish and Game web site is pretty useful for finding information.

Also, check out the Eastmans web site. They have a few "Tips and Tricks" on hunting them. I would also check out the Eastmans Bowhunting/Hunting magazines. They have good information on hunting several western species, including pronghorn. They also have a pretty good section called the Members Research Section (MRS) in the back of the mag. They list all kinds of good information about different areas, and draw odds. In my opinion, it is well worth the price of the magazine. In fact, I have about a years worth of magazines, I would be happy to let you borrow if you want to check them out.

I think Guy Eastman is putting out a book specifically about hunting pronghorn. I thought it was due out by the end of last year, but I have not seen it yet.

I was actually planning on putting in for Wyoming and Montana this year, but I just bought a house so I am pretty much broke. Maybe next year.

Comment

The guys from Double Bull routinely kill them from the blinds w/o any effort to brush them in. Hunting around waterholes.

Trailboss

Comment

I would definitely bring a pop-up blind for hunting them. I have also heard that they decoy pretty well.

My future plans involve both pop-ups hunting over watering holes, and spot/stalk with decoys.

They have tremendous eyesight, so you have to stay hidden as much as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss View Post
              The guys from Double Bull routinely kill them from the blinds w/o any effort to brush them in. Hunting around waterholes.

Trailboss
              We hunted, or should I say, they hunted us several years ago just outside of Gillette, WY. We were no match for them except when using a pop-up near water. They do not react adversely to a pop-up at all...in fact the females were very inquisitive. I took a good buck using a utility pole as my cover...see my avatar. Waiting for permission to show the video.

50-60 yard shots are not unusual...add to that 30-50 mph winds and you have a math equation to deal with on every shot!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. A pop-up will definitely be in my repertoire as will a slider sight. Called NTA yesterday and will probably get a VBG slider base to fit my triangular sight. That ought to get me past 60 yds. Now if I get some glasses I can see that far...

Comment

hunted them half a dozen times, give me a call sometime.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X