Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a cheap idea about ground blind material....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a cheap idea about ground blind material....

so as i have said before, i love building brush-in blinds. i usually would use some camo netting for the thinner areas of cover and shove some brush in it to fill it out. but what about burlap??? i mean, thats what most gullie suits are made of. and man that is WAAAYYYYYYY cheaper than camo netting. what do you guys think?

Where do you get burlap? I think the last time we bought a roll it was $400 a roll but that 4’X75’ roll and I would think it would work fine.

Comment

we've put some burlap on tripods before

Comment

you can get it at any local fabric or craft store for 48'' wide and 2.49-2.99 a yard. so that piece would only cost $75 now a days.

Comment

I use burlap sometimes when I duck hunt but now sure if I would use it for deer hunting. IMO burlap has a funny smell new and when it gets wet and weathered ot turns colors and has an even worse smell.

Comment

You can buy it at Gander Mountain and its camo. Its not that exspensive. You have to let it sit out in the woods for a week or two and then it wont have that funny smell. I use it and it works great.

Comment

Some that I salvaged one year had a strong smell, not sure if burlap is a natural smell in the woods???

Comment

Originally posted by leebtattoos View Post
                you can get it at any local fabric or craft store for 48'' wide and 2.49-2.99 a yard. so that piece would only cost $75 now a days.
                That's what I was gonna say....it's cheap at the fabric places right off the spool. Artifical Christmas trees are great too......ask Joey.

Comment

Academy and Gander Mountain have it for about 15 dollars for 54 inches.

Comment

I used a green windscreen from a tennis court when they were getting new ones. We are getting new ones at our softball field where I coach. I might have extra if any one is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by RonaldB View Post
                      I used a green windscreen from a tennis court when they were getting new ones. We are getting new ones at our softball field where I coach. I might have extra if any one is interested.
                      I would be interested if it's not a hijack. email is in sig.....I'm just always looking for new ideas.

Comment

Wal Mart has the camo burlap for around 11 bucks for 54 in.

Comment

thanks ronaldb. im gonna give this stuff a shot. i just picked up a 3ft by 18ft piece for 12 bucks at walmart. i only will use a little bit on one blind and see how the off season pigs and deer feel about it. i grabbed a great nutral brown color. i can just stuff natural brush to adjust the color and shape. doesnt have any smell yet though. maybe different stuff than what some of you guys have used. thanks guys. any other comments are apreciated.

Comment

get it on sale at walmart! its green and black and cheap as dirt
                            i bought 2 little rolls a few years ago but havent used it we can usually find a biggo cedar and just hack it up
                            takes care of two birds with one stone

Comment

A few guys used burlap on a lease that I was on a few years ago. They wrapped their stands in it and made roof out of it and it lasted all during the season and it was still holding up the following year except it was a little brittle. I wouldn't really worry about the smell because after its outside for a few days it should smell like nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X