Calling Houston area woodworkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Houston area woodworkers

Are there any TBHers, in the Houston area, (more specifically, west) that have or have access to a large planer?

I've got a piece of oak, 7/4" x 14" x 12' that I need to plane down to 1 1/2" and my planer will not handle it.

I'm kinda in a bind and need to get this done by this Friday.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

ttt

Comment

I don't know a thing about them, but they do have the equipment to do it. A problem you might run into is that a lot of mills don't like to machine lumber from outside sources. They may do it without question, may refuse, or may have you pay for an x-ray of your piece. Good luck.

Comment

Good lead ... I gave them a call ... $80 to plane ONE board!

Comment

Try one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post

I've got a piece of oak, 7/4" x 14" x 12' that I need to plane down to 1 1/2" and my planer will not handle it.
            Is 7/4" the same as 1 3/4"?

Comment

Yes, CHANCE ... it does, BUT, it means two entirely different things.

7/4 implies that it is 1 3/4" thick, BUT rough cut
              1 3/4" implies that it is alread a finished thickness

Is that clear as mud?

Comment

Yep, clear as mud. And I learned something today.
                Do you say "seven-four", or "seven-fourths"? Not being a smart***, I want to know.

Comment

Chance, it's actualy "seven quarters".

Comment

Crap. It's one of those days. I forgot about "quarters"! Thanks Dale for setting me straight. And I think you need to sell me your welder and buy you a bigger one.

Comment

You might try calling the wood shop teacher at your local high school. He or she might have the equipment to plane your wood. The HS here where I live does and helps people out all the time.

Comment

Quarter designation is a pretty generic term in the building materials industry used to specify thickness of a given material. It's probably most often used to describe rough sawn lumber, like Kevin said. They also use it in descriptions of things like hardboard (Masonite) facia/trim, deck top materials, etc.

Comment

There is a place called Hardwood on Beltway 8, south bound between Clay road and I-10. Call them, I know they have a BIG planner.I'm trying to get the #

Comment

Hardwoods' phone # 713-984-8904

Comment

That might be a big enough piece of wood for Boone and Crocket records. In that case it would be measured in eights.....

Comment

Working...
                              X