Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Actually it looks like it will take longer. There is another part of the camo that we didnt think woulkd be worth digging because it was further from the creek. After finding the well I went out ther and dug a sample hole since it was not far. Guess what???? I dug down 5ft and the stuff was getting better and better. Will have to clear timber off that part though so we may cut it and move to another site next year while the roots rot out a little.
    That's awesome news Stevie please continue to take us along for the ride.: your journey has been very inspirational for me.

Comment

How long will you dig before you call it quits at this spot?

Comment

Originally posted by kcrcookers View Post
        How long will you dig before you call it quits at this spot?
        over a year.

Comment

We have a place on the Salt Fork of the Brazos just North of Aspermont and have no clue what to look for, it sure seems like Indian country but we've never found anything, if you ever want to trade a hunt for teaching me how to find this stuff I'd be glad to take you up there on a hunt, just say the word!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
            We have a place on the Salt Fork of the Brazos just North of Aspermont and have no clue what to look for, it sure seems like Indian country but we've never found anything, if you ever want to trade a hunt for teaching me how to find this stuff I'd be glad to take you up there on a hunt, just say the word!
            Thats a nice offer. Thanks. I love to see new country although i have a ton of places to hunt. I bet you have some good sites along the river.

Comment

Get your dozer back on track?

Comment

Finally got the track fixed this afternoon. We were having withdrawals so we dug a couple hours late.

Found some neat stuff. Found a sweet old school point that Im not ready to type yet.

Found another of those big serrated points. Of course it was broke straight across the blade just like the rest of them. Incredible parallel flaking.

Then we got a killer paleo drill. It shows wear on the tip from spinning. Did find a few more but got sidetracked and didnt get pics.
                Attached Files

Comment

GarGuy, turned a guy at work whose into finding points onto your thread and he was amazed. One of the things he remarked on is the variety (Different parts of Texas) of the points. I told him about a book I read recently ("Brutal Journey" first hand account of Cabeza de Vaca) and his account of the trading amongst the natives at the time. What's your take on the different kinds of points? Makes me think about getting serious on our property in Real County (Part of the Nueces headwaters) that there was a blackened piece of earth by the spring that had points just laying on the ground when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure that area had constant habitation from the way back.
                  Last edited by 1369; 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                    GarGuy, turned a guy at work whose into finding points onto your thread and he was amazed. One of the things he remarked on is the variety (Different parts of Texas) of the points. I told him about a book I read recently ("Brutal Journey" first hand account of Cabeza de Vaca) and his account of the trading amongst the natives at the time. What's your take on the different kinds of points? Makes me think about getting serious on our property in Real County (Part of the Nueces headwaters) that there was a blackened piece of earth by the spring that had points just laying on the ground when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure that area had constant habitation from the way back.
                    Keep in mind that most of the stuff I post is 5000 to 12000 years old although there is stuff all the way to historic in the site. Also the MATERIAL most of the early archaic and Paleo stuff is made from came from several hundred miles away.

There is no doubt there was a trade / barter system even back in Paleo times.

Now for your spring.... GET UP THERE AND DIG!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice, glad you got things going. Good bit of old stuff for a couple of hours.

Comment

Good stuff Steve. I'm thinking that point in the first picture is a worn down Angostura. I found a base very similar to that on my place in Madison County...just my thoughts. That yella piece...I see the flaking but don't know the type? Any thoughts? From what I can tell, the flaking looks pretty similar in the Scottsbluffs that I have seen. Love that drill! I can see where the tip was worked down...almost looks like the end of a nail.

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
                        Makes me think about getting serious on our property in Real County (Part of the Nueces headwaters) that there was a blackened piece of earth by the spring that had points just laying on the ground when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure that area had constant habitation from the way back.

If you are really into it then yes, I would dig on y'alls place in Real County. That area is VERY rich with indian artifacts. Not sure if you have kept up with anyof my artifacts threads through the years but the majority of my stuff has come from Real County along the Frio River. The Nueces River is just as good, if not better.

Comment

Johnny, I have a bunch of those serrated points. All have paleo flaking, all stem ground, all serrated, all are BROKE straight across the blade. It is my opinion that they were broken ceremonially. Otherwise they would have been resharpened. If it broke from use, this blade would have still been on the haft. He could easily have resharpened it but the never did.

All these points come from the deepest layers. Some folks call them Coryell.

Comment

Johnny, here is one i posted a while back. Its way down in the pics in post 654

Comment

Just found this thread yesterday, but all I can say is WOW!! This is the best thread I've read on the GS for sure! We're definitely following your every move here, so please don't stop!

Comment

This may have been asked to you before, but have you ever resharpened any of the arrowheads and made your own arrows and bow? it would really be cool if some of those arrow heads were sharpened and ready to be used. I could see them sitting in a personnally made leather quiver ready for deer season. I dont comment much on this thread, but i check it reguarly. Its awsome sir. Keep doing your quest!

Comment

Working...
                                X