Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dug in a paleo well today.

At least I think I did. Heres the scoop. I know there are several springs within 200yds of where Im digging and down the hill. About a month ago, I was digging on the low side of the site and hit a spring. It was chock full of pottery and charcoal but no points. Since then I have been working deep lodge sites right on top of a hill. The lodges are Mississippian and consist of about 7ft of stream bed sand with a much lower density of artifacts than other spots in the site. The problem is they were built over a layer of ancient material so I have been sifting all of it as I go and following the contour of the ancient terrain and hard pan. This sets the stage for today.

Im digging right on top of the hill and the clay suddenly rose about two feet. When I got over the little hump which was only a few feet wide, the clay dropped off suddenly and water started seeping into my hole! A spring right on top of the hill! I took a few scoops of soupy clay and was surprised to see large flint flakes/blades in it! I was already 6.5ft deep and the spring seems to have no bottom! I dug down to about 9ft and am still finding obvious habitation! Now Im so deep into the slushy stuff that it is hard to get the skidsteer out with a bucket. I dug across and the hole is about 12ft wide and i havent determined how long yet.

Here is my opinion--- In the earliest stages of this site, there was a spring here and it was CLEARLY dug out to a pool! There seems to be a clay dam around it about 2ft high that I presume was material removed as it was dug out and then used to hold water and it still IS to some extent thousands of years later! There was a weird mix of soil in there that must have been sediment but it contained artifacts as deep as i dug and it was all OLD!

Heres some stuff as it came out.

Comment

Lots of flint flakes and scrapers. remember there is no native flint here and almost all the paleo stuff is exotic material traded in.

Then i found these stemmed points before finding these paleo sweeties.
      Attached Files

Comment

forgot this stemmed point from the well.

also the rest of the finds before starting the spring.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow that is really cool, the natives had a natural springfed pool at the top of the mountain, what a life they lived

cool finds i like that long thin one

Comment

You know this kinda explained some things. If I am understanding your post the spring water was available on the hill where the camp was. That means they did not need to travel to the creek for water they had it in camp and out of flood plain?

Comment

Still digging it! More!

Comment

How does one go about finding such a site? You've found the mother lode GarGuy!

Comment

Keep telling the story. I am picturing the site as it looked long ago.....

Comment

This thread is the reason I am on TBH so much!

Comment

Thanks for posting. This one of my favorite threads

Comment

Steve the flint is the thing that always baffles me. It is so hard to imagine them traveling with a massive amount of trade blanks. How far do you estimate flint rock was available??????????

Comment

Unbelievable!

Steve I know you want to protect your site as much as possible but would it be possible for you to post some pics of the site itself? Maybe the spring, the hill, the creek, etc? Would love to see pictures of what you are describing. Closeups so as to not give anything away about your location.

Thanks.

Comment

Still following!

Comment

i cant believe i missed this thread until now. just read all 19 pages and caught up now.

this is too cool.

KEEP IT GOING GarGuy!

Comment

Hmmmm, that looks like a possible plainview drill and a broken San Patrice? Those older flint flakes are EXACTLY the type of material I have on the camp I told you about in Madison County. I'm thinking the camp I have and the one you have are VERY similar....sandy mounds on top of the hill, material, different style points going back to paleo etc etc. The only thing is I just can't move the dirt quickly!!!! lol

Great stuff Steve...keep em coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X