Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    Johnny- we need to get together . Bet we could find something to talk about.
    He won't do it!
    He don't like TBHers open invites to come dig up their land to teach and keep what's found. Lol stilllll waiting..... invite still stands.
    I know it's a ways away and having no camp plays a big part.

Comment

Originally posted by mac... View Post
      he won't do it!
      He don't like tbhers open invites to come dig up their land to teach and keep what's found. Lol :d stilllll waiting..... :d invite still stands.
      I know it's a ways away and having no camp plays a big part.
      lol!

Comment

Here
        The black one might be a re-worked Golondrina if the base is ground, the other point I first thought was a San Patrice or Folsum, but I don't know what it is.
        It looks like you are in an older area, or depth, and getting some paleo type stuff and fits well with the gorgeous Plainview.
        Thanks for sharing.

Comment

People ask this question over and over so i will try to do a better job of answering...

Lets say you locate a fair site. There are thousands of them around East Tx as well as all over the state. You go out with a shovel and hand sifter and sift a 3ft by 3ft area 3ft deep. Thats a cubic yard. You go around the site and do these sample digs to determine the paremeters if you cant obviously see them from the terrain.

Just for kicks lets say its a fair site and you find an average of 2 good points per cubic yard. Now we determine how deep it goes and this will vary widely so say it averages 3ft to make it easy. The site is small and is 100yds by 100 yards.

Thats 10,000 cubic yards and 20,000 decent points that you could REASONABLY expect to find. That is how i justify buying a site to dig. Hope this helps.
          I have a friend that lives close to Wahlburg that has a major site on his place and dug in it from the age of 16 until he was 50. He got out a little over 4000 points. He knew that once his parents passed away he might lose that part to a sibling so he started digging it with a skid loader and a manual sifting screen. He more than doubled what he already had in less than a year and pretty much wiped out the site. He did lose that part of his place so he made the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
            I have a friend that lives close to Wahlburg that has a major site on his place and dug in it from the age of 16 until he was 50. He got out a little over 4000 points. He knew that once his parents passed away he might lose that part to a sibling so he started digging it with a skid loader and a manual sifting screen. He more than doubled what he already had in less than a year and pretty much wiped out the site. He did lose that part of his place so he made the right decision.
            Yeah but that manual screen is slow. I have done a lot of it but I like turning 100 plus yards of dirt a day.

Comment

Awsome Points..Great Thread !!

Comment

Got in a little digging this evening.About 100 points. Found some nice points and interesting brokes. One pretty palm wood point. Lord willing i will dig all day tomorrow.
                Attached Files

Comment

Loving every bit of this thread!

Thanks a ton for taking us along with you. You have been finding some incredible stuff!

Comment

Cant wait to see what you get from a full days dig. You have found some beautiful specimens so far. Keep the pics coming. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Keep it all coming! Congrats on all this cool stuff and thanks a bunch for sharing. Never knew arrow heads and tools came in so many varieties of color. I always thought just plain ol brown flint hah... Very awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser10 View Post
                        Keep it all coming! Congrats on all this cool stuff and thanks a bunch for sharing. Never knew arrow heads and tools came in so many varieties of color. I always thought just plain ol brown flint hah... Very awesome

lol. That is mainly the case out in the hill country...lots of flint out that way but here in East Texas, good material to make points out of was hard to come by back in the day. The natives had to make due with local material which was petrified wood, many different types of river/creek rock, petrified sap, palm wood, ogallala chert etc etc etc. Because of this you will find artifacts in many different colors and made out of many different types of material. Garyguy's collection from this camp so far is a perfect example of this. As he continues to dig deeper, he will find more of the older type stuff which will be made out of better material such as flint. Scottsbluff, Clovis, Plainview etc always seem to be made out of quality stuff.

Nice finds today Garguy and yes, some interesting pieces for sure. I got the family tagging along watching as well. This is keeping us entertained but chomping at the bit to do some digging! lol

Comment

Very Nice Thread!!!!!! Great work!

Comment

When you dig, are you digging with a loader? If so, do the few points that get broken by the loader not matter when compared to the volume you can do at a time?

Comment

this thread is making me regret not digging at our old lease in aspermont on the brazos river. it also had a spring that originated on the property.

for a guy that doesn't have a nice unbroken point to his credit yet, I'm fascinated by digging for artifacts like these

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                lol. That is mainly the case out in the hill country...lots of flint out that way but here in East Texas, good material to make points out of was hard to come by back in the day. The natives had to make due with local material which was petrified wood, many different types of river/creek rock, petrified sap, palm wood, ogallala chert etc etc etc. Because of this you will find artifacts in many different colors and made out of many different types of material. Garyguy's collection from this camp so far is a perfect example of this. As he continues to dig deeper, he will find more of the older type stuff which will be made out of better material such as flint. Scottsbluff, Clovis, Plainview etc always seem to be made out of quality stuff.

Nice finds today Garguy and yes, some interesting pieces for sure. I got the family tagging along watching as well. This is keeping us entertained but chomping at the bit to do some digging! lol
                                Thanks Johnny, always been amazed but your knowledge through the videos I have seen you post and the info you share. Very cool stuff. I'd like to one day make my own bow, arrows, and eventually arrow heads and take an animal.

Comment

Working...
                                X