Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!! I'd like to see the sifter in action as well. What are those in pics 3,4,&5?

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
      Awesome!! I'd like to see the sifter in action as well. What are those in pics 3,4,&5?
      Hmmmm..... OOOOLLLLLLDDDDDDD! We will get a variety of opinions Im sure!

Comment

Now we're talkin! I'm loving that little old school black point. At first I was thinking San Patrice (which it could be) but it sure looks like it is worked down...dang near like a worked down and resharpened Clovis.

Now what you are calling a Langtry is more on the lines of a Gary type because of geographical location in my opinion. I have found a few on my place in Madison County that look very close to yours and I'm calling them Gary's because of location. Langtry's are mostly found in south, southwest and central Texas.

Here is a good example of what I am talking about. I found a very nice blade right here in Montgomery County that looks identical to a Kinney Blade. These are mostly found in the same areas where you would find Langtry's but because of where it was found, I'd go with Darl instead of Kinney.

The one in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3blades.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24080283

But the good news is, you can call it whatever you want to because you found it.

Comment

Johnny = show off!

Dang those are nice

Comment

Awesome bud! I never cared for the name of the point just glad I found them. Keep em coming

Comment

Here is a Gary type my wife dug up on our place in Madison County. If it were found in south central Texas, it would be hard not to call it a Langtry.

Name:	madisoncountypts2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	24080286

This one is what I am thinking is an Andice my son found close to home. As you can see it is missing its ears and looked possibly reworked. The ears on an andice have such deep notches that it's rare to find them intact. This one reminds me of the long stemmed white one you found.

Name:	coltonpt2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	24080287

I'm not sure where you are at in the camp right now but from the looks of it, it looks real promising for some more older stuff to pop up on the sifter you got. Man, I would be pumped!
              Last edited by Johnny; 06-05-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Looks to me that your site is producing points of many different materials, I think that'll make for a beautiful collection.
                Middens here in Central Texas don't usually have such a variety.

And I'll just throw it out there, I think that black point is a reworked Golondrina. Its beautiful.

Thanks for taking us along!

Comment

I think you are right about that being an exhausted Andice. Those are some cool points you posted as well.
                  The unstemmed black point, yellow point, and the long white point(stemmed) in my hand were in the same bucket. came from about 5ft deep right by where i found the Plainview and the Andice blank(thanks for the id on that). All three are heavily edge ground. The yellow point also has a small fluting flake on both sides.

Comment

I want your job!

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                      Johnny = show off!

Dang those are nice
                      I think Johnny is trying to nudge me into pulling some stuff out of the closet and posting it with that killer picture! Gonna stick with recent finds though.

Comment

Man that's awesome. Makes me wanna be out there looking! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

wow

Comment

nice points

Comment

Johnny-"Here is a Gary type my wife dug up on our place in Madison County. If it were found in south central Texas, it would be hard not to call it a Langtry."

There is no way in heck i would call that a Gary. have seen a bunch of those papered as langtry and from east tx at that. ID isnt an exact science and I OFTEN disagree with even the leading experts.
                              I really look forward to your opinion on these. we need to get together . Bet we could find something to talk about.

Comment

cool thread, keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                                X