No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I keep following this thread and now I'm just too fired up. Going to dig today. I have only been able to piece together 2 different artifacts in 10 years of hunting them. In one case I found the tip to a base I had previously found...the tip was laying on a construction site where sand removed from the dig site had been hauled to over a mile away.

Comment

Good luck to ya Louie!

Comment

Thanks Johnny. Hopefully I will have a few points to show for my efforts. I liked those pics you made from your dig site recently. Thought that was really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
          Good stuff Steve. I've only been able to match up one point since I have been digging. It was a killer broke I dug up along the Frio River. My son and his friend were going through my broke when we were home and they matched up the tip!!! I will post up a pic of it...killer point.

Man, y'all are on em as usual. Super finds for sure! How much of that camp you got left?
          I don't know how much of it that is left will be worth digging but I am likely to dig most of it anyway just in case there is a cache hidden out there,

This is my second big ancient broke to put back together, I have several small points pieced.

On the Zebra material...anyone have an idea?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

On the Zebra material...anyone have an idea?
            I'm no expert, but it looks like some sort of petrified wood, possibly even bone. I don't see any flaking. Certainly something different.
            But I may not be looking at the same piece. Possibly the grey piece with the lines through it? That one, i have no idea.
            Last edited by huntinfool; 05-27-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Trying to post pics from this iPad. No bueno. I'll try and get some from my phone.

Comment

OK let's try this. GarGuy, I'm posting up some pics from my phone....bear with me. Also these are in a shadow box. I know most are broken pieces, but I think there is enough there to help id them.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369660987217.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	24203942

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661011283.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	24203943

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661031661.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	24203944

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661071516.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	24203945

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661089698.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	24203946

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661126615.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	24203947

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661156520.jpg
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	24203948

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1369661175681.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	24203949

Comment

Still tuned in. Once again Awesome finds!!

Comment

Huntinfool, Its really hard for me to give much input on those from the pics. Looks like a variety of blades/scrapers and some brokes.

Comment

GG, I think that striped one is made from banded chert(flint). Pretty cool, has to do with alternating layers of siliceous (chertlike) material being laid down during deposition. You can bet the knapper that made that one was pretty proud of his work.

Some of those are truly museum quality. Awesome finds!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        Huntinfool, Its really hard for me to give much input on those from the pics. Looks like a variety of blades/scrapers and some brokes.
                        These were all found on the same day on the same mound. Like I said most were broken pieces. The first pic with the two whole ones I am most curious about.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                          These were all found on the same day on the same mound. Like I said most were broken pieces. The first pic with the two whole ones I am most curious about.
                          Those little guys are woodland/ Mississippian. The other stuff looks quite a bit older. Also the point on the bottom right in the last pic looks like it might not be broke. If it isn't it is Paleo.

Comment

Had a killer day! Dug about 5 hours and found a BUNCH. I found a sweet Scotts Bluff about 3 inches long with killer flaking. I also found a small worn out point that is likely a Scotty.

I found an exhausted example of those serrated blades as well as the tip of another.

I found two pieces of a long serrated spike. Theres quite a bit missing still. It must have been 7 inches long, (next post)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Found a Paleo base that is interesting.. Would love for a few experts to look at it. It sure has a Midland/Folsum look.

Found a sweet Manning Fused Glass point and a Paleo thumb scraper made of MFG also.

Here are the manning points from my last digs.

Heres the gang and a couple more Scotty pics
                              Attached Files

Comment

AMAZING amount of killer stuff. Were the Indians really that careless to leave so many good points and tools just laying around when they left camp, or do you think they periodically died out in that area or what?

Comment

Working...
                                X