No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some new intelligence....Im getting close. Cant say too much though. I really dont think its an active TBHer but someone following this thread. Ill let yall know.

Comment

Originally posted by garguy View Post
      i have some new intelligence....im getting close. Cant say too much though. I really dont think its an active tbher but someone following this thread. Ill let yall know.

good deal !

Comment

After the heavy rain this morning, My wife and I took a walk down near the Manning Fused Glass quarry site to see if we could find some nice chunks. Most of the pieces are debitage or cores. I found a STUNNING red manning chopper! found some pretty material too.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Is that the result of volcanic activity basically melting/fusing igneous rock with sand?

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
            Wow! Is that the result of volcanic activity basically melting/fusing igneous rock with sand?
            Close. It is the result of a lignite coal fire thousands of years ago. Many believe a meteor stuck and drove deep enough to set the lignite layer on fire. The fire burned for hundreds of years under ground and melted the sand into this fused glass. This specific material occurs nowhere in the world other than a small area of East Tx and is cosidered a gem stone.

That is a huge pile right there. I currently have around 200 arrowheads made from it and Im quite confident have the largest collection in existence. A chunk the size of a dime is rare.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post

That is a huge pile right there. I currently have around 200 arrowheads made from it and Im quite confident have the largest collection in existence. A chunk the size of a dime is rare.
              Honestly, I didn't know much about manning fuse glass till I came out to your place. Pretty neat stuff. That's a heck of a haul. It was pretty darn neat seeing that shadow box with nothing but manning fuse glass points. Awesome!

Now I got a question for you. I am finding tons of palm wood flakes on my uncles place. No points yet but I have found a couple tools made out of it so far. I know palm wood is mainly something you find in deep East Texas and into Louisiana. Is it rare to be finding so much of it at my uncles place in northern Grimes County? 25 minutes up the road from my uncles place is our camp in Madison County. I haven't found one palm wood flake while digging there over the past 4 years.

Comment

Close. It is the result of a lignite coal fire thousands of years ago. Many believe a meteor stuck and drove deep enough to set the lignite layer on fire. The fire burned for hundreds of years under ground and melted the sand into this fused glass. This specific material occurs nowhere in the world other than a small area of East Tx and is cosidered a gem stone.

Very cool. Interesting about the lignite coal fires underground. I know underground coal fires are actually common. There are some of those coal fires in the US in PA have burned for decades and some in Australia that have been burning over 2,000 years or longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                  Honestly, I didn't know much about manning fuse glass till I came out to your place. Pretty neat stuff. That's a heck of a haul. It was pretty darn neat seeing that shadow box with nothing but manning fuse glass points. Awesome!

Now I got a question for you. I am finding tons of palm wood flakes on my uncles place. No points yet but I have found a couple tools made out of it so far. I know palm wood is mainly something you find in deep East Texas and into Louisiana. Is it rare to be finding so much of it at my uncles place in northern Grimes County? 25 minutes up the road from my uncles place is our camp in Madison County. I haven't found one palm wood flake while digging there over the past 4 years.
                  There is palm all across South Tx. We find quite a bit here too. You are going to find a killer made of it. Paleo and early archaic folks used it. I can just see you rolling out a big ol palmwood.......I wont jinx you, just post it when you find it.

Im thinking about having that chopper made into a couple of modern paleo points. What do you think?

Comment

The Manning Fused Glass thing is very interesting. I guess the native peoples played around with all kinds of materials to see what made a good tool or point. Think I read somewhere where they used actual man-made glass shards later in the game to make points out of, about the same time they started using barrel hoops to make metal points.

Comment

Wow , that stuff has a beautiful color to it . You have any points made out of that ?

Comment

Im thinking about having that chopper made into a couple of modern paleo points. What do you think?
                        Indeed. I'm thinking a Clovis, Scotty and an Andice. Boy howdy, those would be smokers no matter when they were made.

Along with the palm wood I am also finding some beautiful creamy paleo flint flakes but not as numerous as the palm wood of course. I just got a strong feeling my find of a lifetime is going to roll out of this camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	24198819

Comment

The color of some of the flint that you are finding is very unique! I've never seen white mixed directly with orange or red before.

Keep digging and posting, I'm really enjoying this thread!

Comment

That fused glass stuff is some good looking rock You have any luck catching the ***** artifact poachers?

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              That fused glass stuff is some good looking rock You have any luck catching the ***** artifact poachers?
                              Better not update this quite yet but Im making progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                                The color of some of the flint that you are finding is very unique! I've never seen white mixed directly with orange or red before.

Keep digging and posting, I'm really enjoying this thread!
                                Thats cause its not flint.

Comment

Working...
                                X