What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garrett G View Post
    Firemen need heros too, thats why every city has Linemen! Argue all you want but I have been to many a call where fire wont do a thing until the power is killed and who does that, a lineman.
    Ain't that the truth.

Comment

Firemen need heros too, thats why every city has Linemen! Argue all you want but I have been to many a call where fire wont do a thing until the power is killed and who does that, a lineman.
      Amen Garrett , I was a communications lineman for 12 years before I went to fire school. If a lot of the folks that would like more money spent time climbing poles for little pay they might appreciate things a little more

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
        You're absolutely right, the health care benefit needs to be added to base pay, for sure. Do you pay anything toward medical/dental each month or does the city cover it all? Also, in re: retirement for firefighters/city workers: I think a person can retire as early as age 50, assuming they started at age 20 and have 30 years service in. What percentage of your original salary will you receive, and will the city continue to pay for health care?

I ask because my SIL retired at age 50 or 51, and she gets a nice pension yearly and all her health care is covered (City of Arlington). I tell ya, if I had known all that when I was younger, I would have gotten a city job of some kind and would have been retired for 13 years already!
        My retirement will pay about 3k a month maybe. I will not get any healthcare paid for when I retire nor have I ever expected to. I have never felt like the citizens should pay for my retirement healthcare when they will probably have a tough time paying for their own healthcare. I'm a grown up with age comes personal responsibility and my healthcare will fall on my shoulders

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Hey ROCKY, I'll answer the question
          My base pay is 55k I usually make about 5k in over time a year
          My healthcare (provided by the city ) cost the city 6.2k per year. I dont pay for it so I figure that into my salary as well as everyone shouldif they want an accurate reading of what they get paid.
          lets total it up
          $66200 Not to mention the retirement they ( the city) contributes or the many other things they do.

Every employee no matter where they work Private or public needs to add in the value of their health care, and retirement contributions and come up with the real number they get paid.
          I am in no way under paid for the job I do And I venture to guess that just about no one in the fire service is. The question was originally asked " what is a firefighter worth" Well the answer is no more or less than the employer is willing to pay
          Thanks flywise!
          Now I'm depressed.
          Being a self employed fishing guide/archery shop owner sucks!

Comment

My healthcare (provided by the city ) cost the city 6.2k per year. ................
            Y'all are making me feel good.

Comment

My healthcare (provided by the city ) cost the city 6.2k per year. I dont pay for it so I figure that into my salary as well as everyone shouldif they want an accurate reading of what they get paid.
              lets total it up
              $66200 Not to mention the retirement they ( the city) contributes or the many other things they do.

Every employee no matter where they work Private or public needs to add in the value of their health care, and retirement contributions and come up with the real number they get paid.
              I am in no way under paid for the job I do And I venture to guess that just about no one in the fire service is. The question was originally asked " what is a firefighter worth" Well the answer is no more or less than the employer is willing to pay

I owe you a beer, thats was an awesome post

Comment

By the way, today I did some math.
                $13.50 per hour X 120 days @ 24 hrs =$38,880
                $13.50 per hour X 40 hrs per week X 50 weeks = $27,500
                Hourly pay is not exactly the same when you consider work schedules.

Comment

lets total it up

Thanks flywise, I have never met you but can tell you are on the right path. Kuddos to you.

Comment

My retirement will pay about 3k a month maybe. I will not get any healthcare paid for when I retire nor have I ever expected to. I have never felt like the citizens should pay for my retirement healthcare when they will probably have a tough time paying for their own healthcare. I'm a grown up with age comes personal responsibility and my healthcare will fall on my shoulders
                    Thanks for taking the time to answer!
                    I guess the retirement bennies differ from city to city, then, since Arlington does pay healthcare after retirement.
                    You don't pay Social Security, right? (am thinking government employees pay into TMRS). $3K per month after retirement will beat the heck out of what you'd get from SS at your salary level.

Comment

Lol I ain't gonna lie, you guys are awesome...I ain't touching no top-wire

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                        Thanks flywise!
                        Now I'm depressed.
                        Being a self employed fishing guide/archery shop owner sucks!
                        Lol buddy, but being on water sounds like a great way to spend time

Comment

Originally posted by M-2 View Post
                          Thanks for taking the time to answer!
                          I guess the retirement bennies differ from city to city, then, since Arlington does pay healthcare after retirement.
                          You don't pay Social Security, right? (am thinking government employees pay into TMRS). $3K per month after retirement will beat the heck out of what you'd get from SS at your salary level.
                          Anything for you darlin, it will certainly be better than ssi but much less than some folks. But, spending a career doing what I love will be my reward.
                          My fear is that those with full benefits for life will suffer one day if those cities can't afford those benefits for the retired folks one day.

Comment

Lol buddy, but being on water sounds like a great way to spend time
                            Having been a fishing guide my whole life, never having a real job, I'm not complaining.
                            Of course, I don't fight fires and save lives, so my expectations are somewhat less.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                              I owe you a beer, thats was an awesome post
                              Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                              Thanks flywise, I have never met you but can tell you are on the right path. Kuddos to you.
                              I appreciate it guys.
                              Being a fireman is a great an honorable way to make a living.
                              Sure I miss a few holidays with my young kids but I make up for it on the 20 days a month I dont work. Yes I have seen things I wish I had not seen and done things I will never tell my love ones about but when I went to fire school at 32 I knew this would be the case. I do go into fires and it is dangerous. But there are plenty of dangers in many lines of work. I do appreciate every dime the tax payers pay me. I do appreciate the healthcare they provide for me.
                              I will never complain about my salary. I'm a personal responsibility type person. Had I taken this country up on all the opportunities I was presented years ago I would be a wealthy man today. I didn't and now I'm just a guy who answers your call

Comment

Working...
                              X