What is a Fire Fighter worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
    Thats why I'm worth so much $ you should see me on an emergency scene!
    Obviously you think you're worth a certain amount because of your sacrifices and and risks, and ability.
    Can you tell us what that amount is?

Comment

Originally posted by stang_j_99 View Post
      OK. So I get that. My uncle and aunt operate a vol. Pct. Almost by themselves. And I also appriceate what public services do. All of them. But I have a job with almost no benefits and pay flutcuates weekly. Some days i might be at work all day and not make a dollar. On the flip side to that I have made my whole pay check in one day, not often. In my 15 years as a mechanic I have worked on many many of ambilance crusiers pump trucks ect. So I and many others keep YOU as a FF going to the person in need. What I'm say is what I tell my wife sometimes. " Be thankful you have what you have, it may not be the best but its what you have". Then there is the other thing I tell people that don't like their job or pay or whatever, if you don't like your job go find a new one. I would gladly trade my pay platform for yours. You might like my 29.00 hr. but make no mistake, you will not like the 20hr paycheck that comes after a 40hr work week. But I like my job and I understand the conditions of which I signed on at the dealership I work at.

Just take a look from the other side of things. All things. FF/PO all of you depend on others to make your job possable. Have you thanked them?(not referring to you jermey just everyone in public services). Sorry spelling. Hope everyone has a great day:-)
      You are correct sir, and yes I do everyday at work. We have a whole dept that all the do is restock our ambulances, wash them, and make sure we have everything we need for our shift on the streets. We also have a whole fleet dept that fixes and does maintence on our trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
        Really, what are you on here arguing about?
        Who is this question ment for?

Comment

I promised I wouldnt post again simply because of the direction this thread headed.

I have continued reading and can't but feel sorry since I believe my personal problems were expressed and it was off from there.

First and foremost, this will be a long read, choose to or not, but if you do read understand this; I am trying to paint a picture and get this off my chest, I do not want a forum battle over something that everyone else does on occasion here, and that is RANT.

I will state again, I do not feel anyone is more important than anyone else...but what is wrong with being paid what you should for something you've spent your life dreaming about? Something that is more important than a lot of other jobs but just as important as others. Our motto as firefighters "so that others may live". I ask you...WHAT IS YOUR LIFE WORTH? Is it worth having someone that has literally spent thousands of hours training putting YOUR family ahead of our own? Or is it worth having a weekend warrior (volunteer) who requires a laxed 60 hour traing course? No hit on volunteers, I used to be one, but that's exactly what they are, volunteers. Ask yourself please, "what is your life, your family, your property worth?"

I work a slightly different schedule than others but the most common is 24 on and 48 off. Most people think that's easy, but there is a reason why they give 48 off. I know for a fact that on a COMMON 24 hour day I work more than rest, don't get me wrong, there are down days, but few and far between. As for the reasons why they give you 48 off, spend 24 hours of your day, preferably a day or 2 before you have to go to work, miss a couple meals, do some yard work, go shopping, play with your kids, but spend 24 hours constantly doing something. Take random naps and randomly set an alarm clock. Let me know what you would like to the next day. Not much. Then on the 2nd day go to your regular job and see how you perform. How do you feel? I know nobody will try this but even if you try to imagine it. That's why they give you the time off they do...one of the few perks, but most guys spend those days being a home "wife" or working a second job.

As for what do I think I'm worth? I wake up 6am, at work for crew change 645am, truck check off first and wash units. Hopefully breakfast afterwards, not guaranteed though. The rest of the day, I'm a Gardner, plumber, painter, electrician, secretary, janitor, public liaison, and possibly some type of public event coordinator. This is all in a perfect day if the city behaves and doesn't need us. But I'm ready at the drop of a dime to help you and your family; miss some sleep and some food. My mind is warped and my body is tired, I deserve my time off but I spend it working a second job. I DON'T WANT A PAT ON THE BACK, but I do deserve respect.

What do I think I'm worth? I'm worth having a decent pay check to support a family and enjoy what years im given even if its short to enjoy their lives.
          Last edited by Txfirerescue; 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
            I promised I wouldnt post again simply because of the direction this thread headed.

I have continued reading and can't but feel sorry since I believe my personal problems were expressed and it was off from there.

First and foremost, this will be a long read, choose to or not, but if you do read understand this; I am trying to paint a picture and get this off my chest, I do not want a forum battle over something that everyone else does on occasion here, and that is RANT.

I will state again, I do not feel anyone is more important than anyone else...but what is wrong with being paid what you should for something you've spent your life dreaming about? Something that is more important than a lot of other jobs but just as important as others. Our motto as firefighters "so that others may live". I ask you...WHAT IS YOUR LIFE WORTH? Is it worth having someone that has literally spent thousands of hours training putting YOUR family ahead of our own? Or is it worth having a weekend warrior (volunteer) who requires a laxed 60 hour traing course? No hit on volunteers, I used to be one, but that's exactly what they are, volunteers. Ask yourself please, "what is your life, your family, your property worth?"

I work a slightly different schedule than others but the most common is 24 on and 48 off. Most people think that's easy, but there is a reason why they give 48 off. I know for a fact that on a COMMON 24 hour day I work more than rest, don't get me wrong, there are down days, but few and far between. As for the reasons why they give you 48 off, spend 24 hours of your day, preferably a day or 2 before you have to go to work, miss a couple meals, do some yard work, go shopping, play with your kids, but spend 24 hours constantly doing something. Take random naps and randomly set an alarm clock. Let me know what you would like to the next day. Not much. Then on the 2nd day go to your regular job and see how you perform. How do you feel? I know nobody will try this but even if you try to imagine it. That's why they give you the time off they do...one of the few perks, but most guys spend those days being a home "wife" or working a second job.

As for what do I think I'm worth? I wake up 6am, at work for crew change 645am, truck check off first and easy units. Hopefully breakfast afterwards, not guaranteed though. The rest of the day, I'm a Gardner, plumber, painter, electrician, secretary, janitor, public liaison, and possibly some type of public event coordinator. This is all in a perfect day if the city behaves and doesn't need us. But I'm ready at the drop of a dime to help you and your family; miss some sleep and some food. My mind is warped and my body is tired, I deserve my time off but I spend it working a second job. I DON'T WANT A PAT ON THE BACK, but I do deserve respect.

What do I think I'm worth? I'm worth having a decent pay check to support a family and enjoy what years im given even if its short to enjoy their lives.
            What do you consider a decent paycheck for what you do?
            If you give us a dollar amount, and you aren't paid that amount, maybe the Green Screen would be sympathetic to your (firefighters) gripes.

Comment

I don't want your sympathy. I don't care what you think, I don't care what you do. I don't care what you take away from this, cause everyone that has commented on here will never understand.

I won't explain anymore as I have spoke my final peace. You don't want to hear us rant, than DON'T FREAKING READ THE THREAD. It's a public forum, there are whiners, ranters and complainers all on this forum that do it everyday, I don't see you telling them to stop on there. This thread was posted by a FF and FFs replied, where do you think you have a place to comment other than its a public forum?

I make 13.50/hr before taxes..., once again is public safety worth 13-16$/hr?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                Obviously you think you're worth a certain amount because of your sacrifices and and risks, and ability.
                Can you tell us what that amount is?
                I will finish this off by saying there are lots of people who deserve more $ for what they do in this country and will never get what they are worth thats just the way it is and others who deserve less(people who are famous for no reason whatsoever except being stupid). I was going to stay out of this thread for this reason until I saw others being disrespectful.To answer your ? I think about as much as process-operators,nurses,hairstylist,even topless dancers make more than firefighters just to name a few.With that being said I'm not on here complaining I'm on here for the disrespect being shown on the subject of this thread!
                Last edited by ShaBow; 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

I don't want your sympathy. I don't care what you think, I don't care what you do. I don't care what you take away from this, cause everyone that has commented on here will never understand.

I won't explain anymore as I have spoke my final peace. You don't want to hear us rant, than DON'T FREAKING READ THE THREAD. It's a public forum, there are whiners, ranters and complainers all on this forum that do it everyday, I don't see you telling them to stop on there. This thread was posted by a FF and FFs replied, where do you think you have a place to comment other than its a public forum?

If this post is directed at me, all I've done is try to understand the concerns firefighters have about their pay.
                  I don't recall contributing negatively, only asking questions.
                  I think good firefighters are worth more than $13.50 an hour myself, but obviously you're content, or you'd move on.

Comment

Yes, if that's what they're offering and what you are accepting then that is EXACTLY what you're worth. It's called a free market.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                      I will finish this off by saying there are lots of people who deserve more $ for what they do in this country and will never get what they are worth thats just the way it is and others who deserve less(people who are famous for no reason whatsoever except being stupid). I was going to stay out of this thread for this reason until I saw others being disrespectful.I think about as much as process-operators,nurses,hairstylist,even topless dancers make more than firefighters just to name a few.With that being said I'm not on here complaining I'm on here for the disrespect being shown on the subject of this thread!
                      I agree and that's why I apologized for the things I said, I honestly hope that was not the reason that this thread went the direction it did, but the reason for to begin with because of a lack of respect, which is all I have gotten from this thread.

Comment

Or is it worth having a weekend warrior (volunteer) who requires a laxed 60 hour traing course? No hit on volunteers, I used to be one, but that's exactly what they are, volunteers. Ask yourself please, "what is your life, your family, your property worth?"
                        This is a crack on volunteers, and regardless of your attitude the vast majority of this state is protected by volunteer fireman. I'm not a volunteer, but have lived my whole life in a community that is served by them. I have a heck of a lot more respect for someone that volunteers to help his fellow man than someone that gets paid to do the same job and still finds a way to complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                          If this post is directed at me, all I've done is try to understand the concerns firefighters have about their pay.
                          I don't recall contributing negatively, only asking questions.
                          I think good firefighters are worth more than $13.50 an hour myself, but obviously you're content, or you'd move on.
                          If you had read from the beginning of this thread until now you would understand that's what started all this, was believing I am worth more and not liking this job anymore because of the lack of respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                            You are wrong, it's supply and demand not to mention how many hours a day does a ff actually do work?? I know it varies but my ff buddies laugh about getting paid and rarely doing anything.

I still say a lot of ff are pre madonas, not all but a lot. How many threads do you see pop up about how much a nurse, meter maid, cop or a million other jobs make and how thr getting screwed.

I'll say it again, get over it or change jobs to one that pays more.
                            It is supply and demand. That is exactly what I meant in my response to flywise when he asked why FF'ers and police think that they should be paid more than other city workers. Way before there were any public service associations (they aren't true unions as they cannot strike) the cops and water chunkers were paid more than sanitation workers and road crews. I think that most cities in Texas are not in collective bargaining and I'll bet they pay their cops and firemen more than other workers. Supply and demand.

And I am very happy with my pay and benefits. you won't see me on here complaining our my compensation or how much people don't respect cops. If a person becomes a police officer because he is somehow enamored with the idea of people fawning over him with respect, he is in the wrong business.

Comment

Originally posted by stang_j_99 View Post
                              I would like to join the convo. But I first have a question. All FF/PO get paid hourly/salary? I'm asking.
                              I don't know any that are salaried except maybe some command positions like chief, deputy chief, battalion chief, etc.

Comment

If you had read from the beginning of this thread until now you would understand that's what started all this, was believing I am worth more and not liking this job anymore because of the lack of respect.
                                It is understandable that you're upset with the lack of respect you receive, but unfortunately, very few of us receive the amount of respect we think we deserve for whatever it is we have chosen to do for a living, and have excelled at, regardless of what we are paid.

Comment

Working...
                                X