Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Build Rifle, taking caliber suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tx625 View Post
    Really digging the idea of a 30-06! Like you I have quit a few custom rifles, and honestly have never even thought about doing a custom 30-06. And of all of my rifles custom or not, my go to gun is a 30-06! I have been debating on what my next rifle would me, and I just figured it out! Good luck, and congrats on the wedding!
    See if I was going to walk to my safe right now and grab a gun, it would be a .308. That is the first gun that pops in my head.

Comment

.416 Cheytac, plenty of knock down at the ranges you want to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
        Would .257 wtby be better than .25-06?
        yes but it comes at a price in the pocketbook and felt recoil

25-06 @ $25-30 per box of 20

257 Roy @ $60-75 per box of 20

you have to make the call

Comment

See if I was going to walk to my safe right now and grab a gun, it would be a .308. That is the first gun that pops in my head.
          308 is a very close second to me, the only reason my 30-06 is ahead of it is because it was a gift, although I love the caliber its first for sentimental reasons. I also a have a couple of custom 308's, that's why I said 30-06. I do like the wildcat calibers, but love the availability of ammo on the 308 and 06! If you ever forget your ammo, you can stop in just about any store and find ammo for either one of those, and usually on the cheap end for ammo!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            yes but it comes at a price in the pocketbook and felt recoil

25-06 @ $25-30 per box of 20

257 Roy @ $60-75 per box of 20

you have to make the call
            I love my 257, but like you said, its def not cheap to shoot!

Comment

Why is that? Could it be because it's fun to shoot since the mild recoil doesn't break bones like your big boomers do? I'm no expert, and not trying to put you down, I have no idea what your experiences are, but for me, I always wanted a rifle that could really reach out there, but that always seems to come with added recoil. "I'm tough, I can handle recoil." Sure I can, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. I do know a guy that seems to be a bit of a masocist (sp) when it comes to recoil though, he's all about big boomers. When he bought a .338 winmag, I asked him what he planned to hunt with it and he told me squirrels.

Comment

the king! I love it take another vote for .284 pill 7MAG... I like 250 savage too thats my handown gun skipped my mom and her sister I am the only grandchild on that side I guess I am one sided bc although I have shot most of the 30 cals I enjoy shooting the small fast stuff I feel more deadly with my 22-250 in my hands than my dads 308 or 30-06 I just like the feel start tweaking your own loads for your gun and you can get any gun you want to do the things you are looking for IMO you wont find a gun you will always be able to grab a box off the shelf and do everything you are looking at get fancy in the build get a good solid load and dont look back instead look at what you can do with what you picked there is no perfect cal for everything we all know that your a 30 guy so keep it in the family thats what the gun is for pass down the gun with your love for the cal and when you get it buy molds for it then as long as there is lead around they can use it once it gets down far enough it will sit in a glass case with everyones picture who had it before I hunt with my granddads opening day and I clean her up and put it next to his picture and mine isnt that far down the line. AWESOME thread!

Comment

257 weatherby
                  115 grain
                  100 yards= 3.00
                  200 yards= 3.50
                  300 yards= 0
                  400 yards= -7.9
                  500 yards= -21.5

Comment

7/300wsm or 338 lapua. I have a 7/300wsm done by LAprecision out of shreveport and am extremely happy with both the rifle and the caliber.

Comment

Blake will like this but a 257 Bob improved. My Dad has one and all I have to say is WOW! He guards the gun and refuses to let anyone put their hands on it. Hogs,deer, axis, it just lays them down. Sweet shooting and accurate.

If this is a legacy rifle and want something that children can shoot, look at the 7x57 Mauser. Talk about a legacy round. Its been around for a long time and has proven itself on the game fields in Africa and the US. Sweet shooting round that just drops game. I have one that I had built several years ago and its the gun I just reach for. I have taken it to Africa on a few plains game trips and it just dropped the in their tracks. Not just impala, but kudu, gemsbok, and wildebeest. Loaded up some 175 grain NP and did not look back. O'Connor was a big fan and I think his wife used it on everything but the big bears.

Comment

I would recommend a 25-06. You have enough .30 cal. Its like a camera guy buying 15 lenses covering the same general focal length.

Easy to shoot
                        Long range hunting round
                        Readily available

Sheep are not hard animals to put down, just hard to get where they are.

4barchery,
                        If you bring O'Conner in the mix, the answer is 270 Win

Comment

.308 Winchester

You can send upwards of 5000 rounds down range before needing to be rebarreled. If your wanting a heirloom, this would be the caliber.

And you can shoot up to 220 grain bullets. Mild recoil. Common caliber.

Comment

FYI, I load 120 gr Nosler Partitions for my 25-06 and it's my primary Elk choice.

Reading through the entire thread, I still suggest 7/08.
                            Last edited by Chad C; 04-25-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I think you would love the 257wby...the pic I put up shows:

Swift
                              257 Wby
                              280AI
                              7 Lazz

Comment

308 AI or 30-06 AI. Either one will shoot store bought ammo and then reload for more punch

Comment

Working...
                                X