Sliding gate vs Swing gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draco View Post
    If only you knew a weldor that builds gates and installs gate openers, you could have him tell you what you need to know. Especially if one was close to you as well. If only.
    yeah, if only....

Comment

Slide gates will have way more issues. Chains, rollers, etc. a good swing gate installed/mounted correctly will be problem free. Most people who have issues with swing gates didn’t get everything in line and level, dragging on the ground, or tried to put a wheel on it. A single swing gate needs something to close against as well. Many are left
      Not resting against something and blowing in the wind. Also, IME, double gates never close right and evenly, and will also just blow in the wind. People bash mighty mule openers, but I got 5+ years out of one and it was working when I sold the place. I’m at about 1.5 years on the current one with no issues

Comment

In my experience, both styles have issues from time to time. I have had less problems with a swing gate. I would avoid double gates (could mean double problems).

Comment

Whatever you put in, hard wire it with a back up battery. We have a single swing gate, appears to do its job. I do want to add a way to lock it when we are gone, which may be hard to do on a double swing?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Draco I think I'll look around thanks
            You can swing by the house and look at the gate a local built for me to Diane's specifications.

It was built by a local welder and he did a pretty good job.

Comment

Did you ever make a decision 7 years ago?

Comment

I have a swinging gate and want to change it over to a sliding. My gate has been fixed a couple times. One arm died, but the post is having a hard time not leaning with the weight. I would agree with people saying there isnt enough concrete but this gate has 6-80lb bags of concrete holding it. My fence builder has been doing this for 35 years.

Also, swinging gates doing seem to always close in the same position. Sometimes its closed all the way, sometimes theres a 6" gap. My neighbor has a sliding and I havent ever seen him fix his.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                  Did you ever make a decision 7 years ago?
                  Lol I just realized

Comment

Originally posted by axisfeeder View Post
                    I have had both. Slider is the most maintaence free.
                    ^^^^^
                    this
                    All day and night

Comment

Originally posted by draco View Post
                      if only you knew a weldor that builds gates and installs gate openers, you could have him tell you what you need to know. Especially if one was close to you as well. If only.
                      Originally posted by glen View Post
                      draco i think i'll look around thanks
                      :d :d :d

Comment

He missed that completely but I think you missed that this thread is 6 years old.

Comment

He missed that completely but I think you missed that this thread is 6 years old.
                          I missed that too. Lol

Comment

Ha! Yes I did.

Comment

Working...
                            X