Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowhunting in ND in the late 80's. Tried to cross a river that had frozen over. Well I made it about half way across and fell through catching myself with my armpits on the ice. Couldn't touch the bottom and the ice kept on breaking every time I would attempt to pull up on it. I ended up doing this for about 20 more ft till I could touch the bottom and get out. I was so exhausted and froze when I reached that river bank that if my buddies had not heard me hollering I would have laid there and died of exposure for sure. To this day I still can't do cold water showers or even swimming pools.

Comment

Wow, so many crazy stories. I'm glad that I never caught the motorcycle bug, thats for sure. I've had many a close call, from car wrecks to robberies etc etc, but the closest I ever came to dying was when I was 13.

I caught bacterial meningitis when it was going through Harris and Montgomery county. Parents didnt take me the hospital for 3 days because they didnt know the signs/symptoms. Thought I was there for 2 weeks but turned out it was 4 weeks. I went into a coma the 2nd day there and didnt come out until 2 weeks later. I'm allergic to penicillin so they had to give me some type of "super antibiotic" and apparently the panel of doctors had to convene every morning to decide if they thought I was going to live or not. Had they thought I wasn't going to survive, they were going to stop the antibiotic treatments because these were antibiotics that they keep in case of pandemics of drug resistant bacteria. Thankfully my body was responding well enough that they continued the doses. The particular strain that I had came with a 75% mortality rate and I walked out with no (verifiable) brain damage.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
        Was the truck red?
        Yes, red f350.

Comment

Twice....should have 7 more but they better hurry!.....rolled my Camaro 35 years ago in a drunken stupor on I30 just east of Fort Worth when I was 20. Not a scratch. (Praise God no one else was involved). Next.....
          Sitting on top of a 10' ladder in a live main switchgear basement using a greenlee vac to suck a rat through a 4" PVC underground conduit. It was full of water and when the water hit me it blew me off the ladder into the gear. Me and the gear were soaked. I just knew it was gonna blow but it didn't. Had to puke when I realized how close that was.

Comment

This was 1991 buddy and I were out shooting coon, opossum, cats whatever we saw. I think I had a 22 and he had just gotten a 45 long colt lever action. Any way it was getting late so we drive into town to get something to eat, we order at the drive through and while we were in line he decided to take the gun the was still in his lap and put in the gun rack. Don’t know what happened but right when he slid it in the gun went off busted out back glass my side window and huge hole in the side of his truck(couldn’t hear for a week). Next day he came over and where i was sitting the bullet missed back of my head my an inch or two.

Comment

Lots of near death experiences driving a car and what not. As far as health none yet, but I'm at the age to have a problem any time. Thank the Lord for none yet.

Comment

It's a long story with a lot of words, but basically I was inspecting a compressor the size of a sedan that was under about 25psi worth of pressure. Somebody didn't properly replace a safety keeper plate and a 36" diameter cast iron header blew out and hit me in the chest. The piece of iron weighed about 300lbs and was under pressure. I was knocked back about 12' and the chunk of steel landed at about 15' (per the safety man's report). I jumped up and walked it off while my boss called for an ambulance. I was HURT, but only had a bruised sternum, a cracked rib and an elbow that needed some stitches from the fall to the concrete. I ended up not going by ambulance, but rather drove myself to the hospital. My boss was a dumbass for letting that happen.

Now, this might not sound close to death, until you consider the fact that literally 2 seconds before it blew out I was bent over inspecting a seal and would have taken the shot to the head. I think it would have killed me.
                Last edited by curtintex; 01-14-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I'm sure I have had more than I thought in rodeo and life but the one I remember most was in Snyder my Sophomore yr in college. In the short round I got on a Harry Vold bull they had just won a round at the NFR , Denver and Odessa. I was making a great ride when the guy opened the let out gate and he hipped himself at about six seconds. I got jerked down and that dude camped out on me, just like a pogo stick. He stepped on my chest, ribs, stomach, , hip, groin and finally my head ( pre helmet day) . The bullfighters, pickup men , whoever couldn't get him off me. Right before I blanked out I called out to God in my mind .. ( all of this is happening slow motion" I cried to God protect me I can't take anymore" I heard a voice and he said " Close your eyes and I will Cover you". I did and at that moment in all the Chaos my friend who was fighting bulls , gave up trying to get the bull off of me but just laid down over me. Before I went out I remember Chris say it's ok I've got you covered. " Greater Love has no man to lay is life down for a friend" God used Chris as a portal that night and saved my life. I should have died in that arena that night
                  Last edited by BrandonA; 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Thankfully nothing too serious in my short life. *knocks on wood*

Closest was when I was about 20 if I had to guess. I was on my way to work driving down a two lane blacktop. I came around a curve to find a 3/4 ton diesel in my lane heading straight towards me with probably 50 yards to spare. I hit the ditch (thankfully it wasn’t a steep drop off and had about 20-30’ from the fence).

I didn’t spin out, lose control or even stop. I just kept on driving. I was more worried about being late for work at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ten years ago I experienced a bilateral pulmonary embolism.
                      Blood clots from my left leg traveled to my right lung.
                      That was the most intense pain I have ever felt.
                      After things settled down, I found out that there is a 10% survival rate.

I still had Diane take me by the TBH open when I got out of the hospital.

Comment

Had bilateral pulmonary embolism in both lungs about 10 tears ago after knee surgery didn't go to dr for 4 days thinking I had just pulled something until I couldn't breathe anymore. Dr said we normally don't find these until the autopsy. Knew I was lucky so lucky had them again about 3 years ago after foot surgery. God was definitely looking out for me.

Comment

Crash landing in a bush plane in Alaska. Talk about nerve racking and having to fly about an hour knowing that was in store. More skid marks were left other than on the runway!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            I'm sure I have had more than I thought in rodeo and life but the one I remember most was in Snyder my Sophomore yr in college. In the short round I got on a Harry Vold bull they had just won a round at the NFR , Denver and Odessa. I was making a great ride when the guy opened the let out gate and he hipped himself at about six seconds. I got jerked down and that dude camped out on me, just like a pogo stick. He stepped on my chest, ribs, stomach, , hip, groin and finally my head ( pre helmet day) . The bullfighters, pickup men , whoever couldn't get him off me. Right before I blanked out I called out to God in my mind .. ( all of this is happening slow motion" I cried to God protect me I can't take anymore" I heard a voice and he said " Close your eyes and I will Cover you". I did and at that moment in all the Chaos my friend who was fighting bulls , gave up trying to get the bull off of me but just laid down over me. Before I went out I remember Chris say it's ok I've got you covered. " Greater Love has no man to lay is life down for a friend" God used Chris as a portal that night and saved my life. I should have died in that arena that night
                            Did you go to western Texas College?

Comment

I’m not sure how close I was to death but I scared the heck out of my parents.

I was probably close to 4 years old when our canoe flipped over in a river in Arkansas. When my parents came out of the water they frantically started looking for me and I was nowhere to be found. Once they flipped over the canoe there I was holding onto one of the metal rungs.

Comment

We were headed home on 20 from Midland and a drunk came flying over a hill going the wrong way. Thank god I was in the right lane and he was in the left, unfortunately a suv a mile or so behind me wasn’t so lucky.

Comment

Working...
                                X