Rockport or Corpus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rockport or Corpus?

I recently retired and am planning on moving to the Corpus area so looking for recommendations…I will be in an RV for a year or so until I decide on where to buy. I grew up fishing the area from Bird Island to Baffin and loved it but not opposed to learning the Rockport area. 53 and single so want a little bit of nightlife but am happy with a hole in wall to watch a game and grab a beer.

I retired a few years ago and we are about finished with our house build Ingleside on the Bay. We rented for 18 months in Rockport and it wasn’t for us. Thursday brought in 1000s of people and everything was crowded. 2 plus hr wait for seat to eat and over an hour to grab a pizza. I got crowded fishing and shoreine ran over. You are welcome to come by here and I’ll show you around. I wouldn’t overlook Aransas Pass either. But only some areas.

Comment

We live in Portland. Its got just enough stuff and growing.

Comment

Rockport has more options on Rv just in the off season of course.

Comment

Thank guys. I am going to head that way for a week or so and do some research. I am definitely leaning towards Arkansas Pass/ Rockport area.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            I retired a few years ago and we are about finished with our house build Ingleside on the Bay. We rented for 18 months in Rockport and it wasn’t for us. Thursday brought in 1000s of people and everything was crowded. 2 plus hr wait for seat to eat and over an hour to grab a pizza. I got crowded fishing and shoreine ran over. You are welcome to come by here and I’ll show you around. I wouldn’t overlook Aransas Pass either. But only some areas.
            Yeah, but that ain’t just pizza, it’s Panjo’s and it’s the pizza of the Gods. Pepperoni manna I tell ya!

Comment

I drive from Ingleside to get that pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

Yeah, but that ain’t just pizza, it’s Panjo’s and it’s the pizza of the Gods. Pepperoni manna I tell ya!
                Panjo’s is the best pizza I’ve eaten this side of NYC!

We had a bayhouse in RP for 6 years… sold it 30 days before Harvey! We enjoyed RP in the fall and winter, temps are good and fewer people on the water. But spring break through Labor Day, it just wasn’t worth fighting the traffic.

The only thing I miss is the food.

Comment

Rockport crowded and expensive.
                  Aransas pass has a few nice places but mostly pretty trashy
                  Ingleside has some really nice places
                  Portland is nice and has academy restaurants etc
                  C C is cheaper but need to go to south side of CC
                  calallen used to be nice but along way from the water.

Comment

Lol just got done living in rockport for a year. Everyone always told me the food would be the best thing and I didn’t have a single dish at any establishment there that was anything to write home about. Panjos is mid grade pizza at best. I would never live in RP again lol maybeee port A - corpus is definitely a s hole. Sorry to rain on your parade there OP but you gotta be hyper realistic with your expectations . Retired ? Try Florida or somewhere nice - the south texas coast underdelivers for anything living related but the duck hunting and fishing are awesome

Comment

I'm on Flour Bluff. Canal house so getting out to fish is easy. Good restaurants. Heb, Lowes, Walmart. Everything is close.

Comment

Port A all the way.

Comment

I built my first place in Rockport one block off Water St. back in 2001. It was a different place back then with few issues other than a couple of late night vagrants walking around. Built a new place on the water in '19 not long after Harvey. I can say every year it gets a little more crowded. This past weekend was no exception. The fishing isn't near what it was 20yrs ago but you can say that about most places. The boat traffic has become insane with everyone running a sub 12" depth style boat. Having a boat lift, we mostly fish first light or late evening when most boats have pulled off the water in the summer.

I'm surpised daily when I read about so many others relocating to the area for retirement. Most everything said above about restaurants and conveniences is correct. Summer and holiday weekends have become a nightmare in most settings. If it wasn't for my wife, I would probably be looking harder around Matagorda or Port Mansfield for fishing opportunity. The social activities are lacking there as is other conveniences though. For the cost of buying in Rockport and recent growth, I believe there are other options to consider.

Comment

I’d look at North Padre. House on the canal, run north or south from there or west in the car for night life.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              I'm on Flour Bluff. Canal house so getting out to fish is easy. Good restaurants. Heb, Lowes, Walmart. Everything is close.
                              We bought a canal lot in the bluff a few years ago and if I can ever scrape up enough money to build I will be one happy camper

Comment

Working...
                              X