Cutting Ditch/ Swale in Yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Ditch/ Swale in Yard?

I need to cut a 6-9" deep drainage in a yard. Approx 25 yards long. Anywhere from 24-36" wide. What piece of equipment do I need?

Will the little stand on skid steers have the power to cut untouched ground or will they just spin?

Last edited by toledo; 05-25-2024, 09:11 AM.

I'd rent one of those mini excavators. But with it being solid rock below 6" of topsoil where I live a rock saw would probably be needed

Comment

Ditch Witch walk behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Ditch Witch walk behind.
        That would be a big bastage to cut. 24”-36” wide

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post

That would be a big bastage to cut. 24”-36” wide
          DitchWitch makes a 12, 16, 24, and a 30 walk behind. Being that he's not going that deep, he could make 2 or 3 passes with one and be done. He could also rent a walk behind 24" or 36" trencher from Home Depot or Sunbelt Rental.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

DitchWitch makes a 12, 16, 24, and a 30 walk behind. Being that he's not going that deep, he could make 2 or 3 passes with one and be done. He could also rent a walk behind 24" or 36" trencher from Home Depot or Sunbelt Rental.

Max width 6” is what I’m seeing!

Comment

Disc it, then bring in a box blade

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                Disc it, then bring in a box blade
                Don't have the space or id normally just use a full sized skidsteer. It's between a couple houses.

Comment

I just used a small tractor with a 6' blade tilted to the first setting. Three or four passes and I had a nice drainage ditch cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post

Max width 6” is what I’m seeing!
                    Besides a garden tiller, and a shovel, what would be your recommendation?

Comment

First option would be a couple teenage boys just out of school for the summer needing $. Give them a pick ax, sharp shooter, & shovels and let them get busy. If that's not an option I'd rent one of those little mini excavator.

Comment

Teenage boys must be different where you live

Comment

Smallest mini x you can rent and possibly a powered cement cart to haul the dirt to a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                            First option would be a couple teenage boys just out of school for the summer needing $. Give them a pick ax, sharp shooter, & shovels and let them get busy. If that's not an option I'd rent one of those little mini excavator.
                            I couldn’t even get one to mow our yard with our zero turn.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post

Don't have the space or id normally just use a full sized skidsteer. It's between a couple houses.
                              If you can rent a sod cutter, just make a couple passes with it then use a rake to shape it. You'll still have to move some soil by hand but it wont be too difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X