No announcement yet.

Destructive Skunks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a pretty serious young trapper during the late 60s thru the 80s and trapped many skunks and shot many others. I can tell you for sure they can spray when trapped by the hind leg. Some were docile and let me approach the trap and some were not. And some were asleep. Got spayed regularly. In my quest to find the best method to prevent that I came across an article (before I learned of the extended pole syringe setup) that stated if you can hit them hard enough across the back to either break their back or paralyzed them before dispatching, then they cannot spray. I found out this works if done right but take a very powerful blow, and they MUST be standing. Will not work if they are laying down or squatting. The best way I eventually settled on for dispatching skunks was to shoot them from a distance such that they are not disturbed with a low velocity.22LR broadside in the heat lungs. Works about 80% of the time.

Comment

When I leg trap a skunk, I stay about 20' upwind and tattoo them with a 22. They usually spray. I'll leave the dead skunk as-is and reset the trap either that evening or the nest day. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
        When I leg trap a skunk, I stay about 20' upwind and tattoo them with a 22. They usually spray. I'll leave the dead skunk as-is and reset the trap either that evening or the nest day. Works for me.
        I shoot them then just go ahead and get them out, gloves and rubber boots of course. I cut the wire holding trap so I can get it out to some working room. Have tried to wait one out to die on own and finally gave up. I'm not clear on this acetone in pipe deal will have to research this one> I figure skunk smell on a trap is better than human and probably helps with the coyotes coming to the hole bait set.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post

I shoot them then just go ahead and get them out, gloves and rubber boots of course. I cut the wire holding trap so I can get it out to some working room. Have tried to wait one out to die on own and finally gave up. I'm not clear on this acetone in pipe deal will have to research this one> I figure skunk smell on a trap is better than human and probably helps with the coyotes coming to the hole bait set.
          Skunk scent on a trap never hurt a thing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post

Skunk scent on a trap never hurt a thing IMO.
            Definitely not, some places they freeze skunks and cut them up for bait. Whole bait hole set is a "competition" for "bait" which is same reason I catch skunks in them too....

Comment

Working...
            X