Copperheads and cicadas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copperheads and cicadas!

Friend of mine sent me this pic. We have been having a discussion about the explosion of cicadas this year plus reading through a few threads on here, I figured I’d post this. YIKES‼️

just zoom in and look at that camouflage!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7562.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	26798602

My place in Missouri is covered in cicadas

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
      My place in Missouri is covered in cicadas
      I seen a special report on the news last night about Missouri having thousands of them this year, something about it being two different type.

Comment

We had millions of them last summer, and they are just now starting to sing this year here in Burnet County.

Comment

I saw a report where different types of different broods of cicadas come out at different frequencies. This year is somewhat of an anomaly and they are literally expecting a TRILLION cicadas to surface.

2024 is a special year for periodical cicadas:
          • For the first time since 2015 a 13-year brood will emerge in the same year as a 17-year brood.
          • For the first time since 1998 adjacent 13-and 17-year broods will emerge in the same year.
          • For the first time since 1803 Brood XIX and XIII will co-emerge.
          • You will be able to see all seven named periodical cicada species as adults in the same year, which will not happen again until 2037.

Comment

I have a collie that eats every cicada she sees.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
              I have a collie that eats every cicada she sees.
              You may not have to buy any dog food this summer.

Comment

Been warning my dad that this year may be rough on the dogs. Their house is surrounded by white oaks and each summer copperheads will migrate to oak flats to feed. After dark we can walk the homesite and shoot a few a night. Each dog will show up with a softball sized swell on their mouth or paws which usually sparks a late night hunt. Can be fun times but makes us nervous when we find them on the doorsteps or by the truck.

Comment

What are cicada's good for, what do they do besides make alot of noise?

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                    What are cicada's good for, what do they do besides make alot of noise?
                    Protein for Copperheads.

Comment

Dad killed a copperhead in his yard a few years ago

Dissected it and it had several cicadas in it

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                        Been warning my dad that this year may be rough on the dogs. Their house is surrounded by white oaks and each summer copperheads will migrate to oak flats to feed. After dark we can walk the homesite and shoot a few a night. Each dog will show up with a softball sized swell on their mouth or paws which usually sparks a late night hunt. Can be fun times but makes us nervous when we find them on the doorsteps or by the truck.
                        Yep, when we lived in Kingwood, we had 2 huge live oaks in our back yard… wife had a weenie dog that had a personal vendetta out for copperheads. Sucker would attack and kill everyone he saw. He got to the point he hardly even swelled up. He’s kill em and lay em on the patio for us to admire in the morning!

Comment

Good info.
                          Last edited by tps7742; 05-26-2024, 07:47 AM.

Comment

killed one on my back steps last week

Comment

Don’t think you’re safe just because you live in town either. We live in the smack middle of town and 3 years ago I came within an inch or two of stepping on a copperhead in our backyard flowerbeds. I was wearing flip flops and he moved just enough for me to see him and GTFO. The concern of finding a copperhead there never even crossed my mind before that.

The flower bed was under one of our large oak trees that’s covered in cicadas each year.

Comment

Working...
                              X