Headed back to Paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed back to Paradise!

Or are we lol? We are headed back to St. John but this time with the kids. Looks like it's gonna be flooding most of the 7 days we'll be there and the whole island is without power due to an underwater transmission line feeding the island from St. Thomas. I guess flooding and no power in the Caribbean is better than flooding and no power in East Texas!

So, why would you go knowing those conditions prior to leaving? And taking your whole family to boot.

Comment

Trip is paid for. The villa we rented has full solar and tesla power. It won't rain the whole time. We'll make the best of it.

Comment

Screw the weather, Have fun josh love that place. Get you a panty Ripper oh never mind the wrong Island

Comment

Nope. Doesn’t sound like paradise

But I am a boring, conservative type

Hope you have a great time.

Comment

Well the villa may have power but nothing else will it sounds like. That would be a hard pass.

Comment

Went to St Thomas and volunteered after a bad hurricane 30 years ago.Stayed in a makeshift camp it what seemed like a tropical jungle and chased iguanas around for fun.I was 17:at the time.Went o St John for a day because it wasn’t damaged as bad.Spent the day at Hawksnest bay if I’m recalling correctly snorkeling.One of the finest things I’ve ever done.On the South side of the bay where it meets the sea there is a sheer underwater drop off where it goes straight down to just darkness and a seemingly limitless expanse.It was breathtaking and made me feel,really small in the grand scheme of things.Got to work with volunteers from all over the world and see some beautiful places,one of the best experiences of my life.

Comment

Friends there now and are ready to come home. No electricity for a week.

Comment

No power, flooding most of the 7 days, and with the kids. You sir, must have the patience of a saint with endless optimism. Or you’re just crazy.

Either way, have a blast and be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                    Went to St Thomas and volunteered after a bad hurricane 30 years ago.Stayed in a makeshift camp it what seemed like a tropical jungle and chased iguanas around for fun.I was 17:at the time.Went o St John for a day because it wasn’t damaged as bad.Spent the day at Hawksnest bay if I’m recalling correctly snorkeling.One of the finest things I’ve ever done.On the South side of the bay where it meets the sea there is a sheer underwater drop off where it goes straight down to just darkness and a seemingly limitless expanse.It was breathtaking and made me feel,really small in the grand scheme of things.Got to work with volunteers from all over the world and see some beautiful places,one of the best experiences of my life.
                    Yep. Hawksnesst is great. Believe it or not, it's probably 5th or 6th on my list of favorite beaches on St John. I've been to lots of tropical spots but it's our favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by crxshooter View Post
                      Friends there now and are ready to come home. No electricity for a week.
                      Power came back to the island on Friday morning at about 8am and has stayed on so far. It hasn't rained but one time during the night so far. It's been beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
                        No power, flooding most of the 7 days, and with the kids. You sir, must have the patience of a saint with endless optimism. Or you’re just crazy.

Either way, have a blast and be careful.
                        I'm pretty adventurous lol. The kids are 17 and 18 and are good sports. We were only without power for one night so far and it has only rained lightly one time during the night so far!

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                          Well the villa may have power but nothing else will it sounds like. That would be a hard pass.
                          It's not a touristy island anyways. No chain stored of any kind. No hotels. It's like 70% national forest. It's a different kind of vacation spot anyways and is not for everyone. People come for the Snorkeling and beaches which don't require electricity. Almost all the restaurants have backup power as this is a regular occurrence. Our villa has tesla power banks and solar.

Comment

The weather has been beautiful so far! I guess forecasting the weather for a tiny island is tough!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                              Screw the weather, Have fun josh love that place. Get you a panty Ripper oh never mind the wrong Island
                              Thanks Pat!

Comment

Working...
                              X