Flies!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
    The salt bug gun can be a fun way to dispatch a few.

Bug-A-Salt (bugasalt.com)

We are noticing a few, definitely more than normal- but not at a level of "infestation" yet.
    My husband shot me in the a** with one of those once. It hurt more than he thought it would. I let him know exactly how much.

It was pretty funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

My husband shot me in the a** with one of those once. It hurt more than he thought it would. I let him know exactly how much.

It was pretty funny though.
      Haha, I can't see it hurting much through clothing so you're painting a pretty funny picture

We have a girl mutt dog that is extremely afraid of guns- one cock of the Bug-a-salt and she becomes my wife's best friend lap dog in a hurry.

I've never shot her with it to be clear- the wife or the dog.
      Doing so to the dog would get me on the naughty list, to the wife would = making my own dinner....... and I like being fed.
      Don't "shoot with salt" the hand that feeds you is what has kept me from aiming her direction......so far.

Comment

The salt bug gun can be a fun way to dispatch a few.

Bug-A-Salt (bugasalt.com)

We are noticing a few, definitely more than normal- but not at a level of "infestation" yet.
        I will add- use the larger grained kosher salt.

Comment

I hear that shredding Irish spring soap with a cheese grater around the area works. It's worth a try.

Comment

Little bowl of fly bait

Comment

Haha, I can't see it hurting much through clothing so you're painting a pretty funny picture
              Says you. He shot me through a pair of denim shorts, as I recall. I couldn’t see it hurting that much either. He felt terrible…in between his bouts of heavy laughter.

It was pretty funny, though.

Comment

We had them bad the past two early summers. Seems like May was the worst. I had never seen flies like that before in our back yard and with two dogs constantly wanting in and out we had them in the house all the time. We used those fly traps and I would spray that Cutter mosquito and insect spray in the yard, on our trash cans, around the patio, etc.... It helped but I think the heat finally had to thin them out both years as the summer wore on. This year hasn't been bad.

Comment

They are so bad for us this year, worse than I have ever seen them. This is the 4th trap I have filled up. I have sprayed everything, nothing seems to work. I also put out fly bait, which works as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	flies.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	26797731 Click image for larger version

Name:	trap.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	26797732

Comment

Lots of them for us this year too. In addition to methods already suggested, we also have a "ZapIt!" It's basically an electric tennis racket. Works great on regular flies and the little midge flies too

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Glad to know we aren’t the only ones. We do have chickens so, I’m sure that doesnt help. We’ve had chickens for several years but, never seen the flies this bad. I will try a little bit of all that’s been suggested and hope for the best. Thanks again!

Comment

There’s a 3M product you can purchase on Amazon. It is called PT Alpine. My exterminator told me about it a few years back. I purchase two cans each spring and spray a little bit around my outdoor kitchen, fillet table and inside my trash cans. The two cans last forever because it does not take a lot of spray to control the flies in areas they are concentrated in. I highly recommend this product.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          We have really bad fruit fly size flys in our house right now. I keep getting blamed for them because they ONLY come inside the house when I open and close the front/back door too slow or too much. Even though I know they are probably coming from one of the drains. Beer makes it all go away.
                          Last year we had fruit flies real bad. The best thing that caught them were butter tubs with beer in them. They caught way more than the other traps. So yes, beer will make them go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Radman View Post
                            There’s a 3M product you can purchase on Amazon. It is called PT Alpine. My exterminator told me about it a few years back. I purchase two cans each spring and spray a little bit around my outdoor kitchen, fillet table and inside my trash cans. The two cans last forever because it does not take a lot of spray to control the flies in areas they are concentrated in. I highly recommend this product.
                            Just watched a YouTube video on how to use it. I'm sold.

OP, thanks for this thread. We are having a horrible time with them this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post

Last year we had fruit flies real bad. The best thing that caught them were butter tubs with beer in them. They caught way more than the other traps. So yes, beer will make them go away.
                              The beer made my wifes b!thching go away

Comment

I've never shot her with it to be clear- the wife or the dog.
                                Doing so to the dog would get me on the naughty list, to the wife would = making my own dinner....... and I like being fed.
                                Don't "shoot with salt" the hand that feeds you is what has kept me from aiming her direction......so far.
                                I love my salt gun. Sometimes I hunt big game with it like rd wasps.

I live dangerously. I shot my sandwich maker with it.
                                Thank goodness she took my fun with a grain of salt !

Full disclosure as a retired house-husband with an employed wife, I make all the sandwiches and do all the dishes. I’m still getting fed.

Comment

Working...
                                X