North of Childress hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North of Childress hunting

How is the deer population just north of Childress And Quality wise for Whitetail and Muledeer

I just bought a ranch just north of Childress, have not seen any mule deer there but I have heard you will see one every once in awhile. I think there are quite a few white tail, they are eating a lot of protein right now, putting cameras out today, about to head that way here in a few minutes. I have seen pictures of some really nice deer , they have really big bodies.

Comment

I hunted N/W of Childress near Estelline for a couple years. There was a herd of 50 plus mulies that would camp out in a large alfalfa field on the ranch next door. They would move into our area when the storms would come through to bed down in the trees along some abandoned railroad tracks. Some were huge! We had two small ones fighting right next to our trucks after a morning hunt one day. Pretty good WT herd with some big ones roaming around. The WT would get ran off the feeders by TONS of turkeys. Never saw a hog...

Comment

Haven't hunted there in awhile, but density was low and quality was good.

Comment

Hunted North of Childress near Wellington for a few years.

Not a ton of deer but big healthy deer especially on a wet Spring. Antler growth is well above average if you let them age. I noticed we would see smaller bodied deer with more grey color tones that looked like TX deer and then bigger bodied deer with more brown/red like Kansas deer. They rut hard and it is the best time to hunt for big mature bucks, take some horns to bang together!
          Did see mulies occasionally but rarely a nice bucks. Mulies seemed to come and go with the weather and harvest depending on what was in the ground. We also generally saw them late season.

ac

Comment

The closer you are to the river, the better you herd population and quality will be

Comment

This place is part of the Hauns ranch borders the vee bar ranch are I think they call it the Vest ranch . Pictures I was shown was some giant mule deer bucks and some really nice whitetail. It’s about 13 north of Childress just pass the Prairie Dig Fork of the red river.

Comment

Like others have said low quantities but good quality. The 20” antler restrictions on mule deer has increased quantities and quality. Had good rain so far so horns should be good.

Comment

Concur with what's been said so far, but on my place the WT densities are pretty high. Hunted for two weeks straight last year, morning and evening, and never got skunked... saw deer every sit.

Can't wait to crack open the annual Panhandle Hunting thread!

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                    Concur with what's been said so far, but on my place the WT densities are pretty high. Hunted for two weeks straight last year, morning and evening, and never got skunked... saw deer every sit.

Can't wait to crack open the annual Panhandle Hunting thread!
                    Yeah can’t wait for about July so will be able to tell what the bucks will be looking like horns should be developing pretty good by then.

Comment

Working...
                    X