No announcement yet.

Calf help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife’s cows can’t make money, prove me wrong! I should sell the round bales and retire in Hawaii . Had a 12 pack of baby beers, I apologize

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
      Has the calf ever had a BM? I had a calf one time that didn't have an opening at the end of the colon. Sometimes a vet can make one butt most times they can't.
      Yes he is processing the milk replacer we are forcing down him.

Comment

I have a calf, he is now about 12 days old.

he seemed really strong at birth and she moved him all around the pasture day one.

We never saw him nurse, day two he seemed weaker, so we gave him colostrum via feeding tube.

Since then we have been force feeding twice a day. He is getting stronger each day.

Unlike the others we have saved like this, this calf is showing no interest in nursing. It’s like he has no appetite. We can put the bottle in his mouth and he will chew the nipple, but doesn’t take the milk.

We tried a little molasses on fingers yesterday, he licked a little but not really going for it.

We have given a couple of shots of antibiotics thinking that might help.

We have forced the cow into the chute a couple of times to milk her down a little and make sure she is open, but that is not an easy task.​

What you are doing above is the process. Get him stronger and hopefully he will nurse on his own. If the cow is gentle enough push him up in the chute behind her and help him get latched on her. That may help him figure it out. it is time consuming, but it usually will click with the calf after a few days unless there is something else wrong.

Comment

For goats, we give them B complex. It can jumpstart their appetite. Not sure on a calf.

Comment

I wonder if, at times, a calf is born without the instinct or ability to swallow?

Comment

Ive tried it all some you win some you loose. Been in this same exact boat before. We usually give them power punch you can buy it at TSC and put honey or syrup etc on the nipple. But like others said i think sometimes they just aren't born with that instinct and they usually dont make it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                I wonder if, at times, a calf is born without the instinct or ability to swallow?
                I also wonder if it’s some genetic deficiency, this calf can swallow but has little instinct to feed.

Comment

try a shot of b12

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    Yes and there is a term for the ability not to swallow but I can’t think of it.

Comment

Nope, not gonna say it…not even gonna think it again. Just gonna let that lay right there and marinate…

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Nope, not gonna say it…not even gonna think it again. Just gonna let that lay right there and marinate…
                        Behave, you.

Comment

Working...
                        X