Street Legal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Legal

Has anyone on here made their side by side street legal? If so, what all had to be done to get it there? Is it even possible in Texas?

I believe you just need to go to the county with the info of the vehicle and get a license plate. You are limited to how far you're supposed to drive and also to roads with lower speed limits, like 30 or 35 MPH I believe.

Now, if you're talking about fully street legal, like adding turn signals and all, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
      I believe you just need to go to the county with the info of the vehicle and get a license plate. You are limited to how far you're supposed to drive and also to roads with lower speed limits, like 30 or 35 MPH I believe.
      See I read that on the DMV web site, very vague wording they use in my opinion.

Originally posted by Twist View Post
      Now, if you're talking about fully street legal, like adding turn signals and all, I have no idea.
      So this is what I am thinking of doing but I am not sure if I get all this done will it be eligible for street use.

Comment

You can absolutely just go get a license plate for it, my brother has done so for his and he doesn't have signals or anything. It shouldn't be an issue but I believe you're supposed to stay within 2 miles of where it's garaged, I could be wrong about the actual distance though.

Comment

I have a buddy at work that was trying to do this last year. Not sure how far he got with it tho. I'll ask him tomorrow if I see him and report back here.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
            I have a buddy at work that was trying to do this last year. Not sure how far he got with it tho. I'll ask him tomorrow if I see him and report back here.
            Gracias

Comment

No, you can not make it street legal (like a normal vehicle) in Texas. See Transportation code Sec. 551A.052. You can get an OHV plate for it, but must stay within the limitations of the other chapters of Sec 551A that you can google, but basically within 2 miles of home, planned community use, and roads under 35mph unless being used for strictly farm use.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                No, you can not make it street legal (like a normal vehicle) in Texas. See Transportation code Sec. 551A.052. You can get an OHV plate for it, but must stay within the limitations of the other chapters of Sec 551A that you can google, but basically within 2 miles of home, planned community use, and roads under 35mph unless being used for strictly farm use.
                Not necessarily, it can be done. Its not easy and apparently you have to find the right court house. A guy on 2cool did it years ago and there is/was a guy who was doing it with Roxors and re-selling them as such. Think like farm use or homemade trailer tags. Some counties require inspection and some you an walk right in and get the tag.

The issue with ORVs is the title. The titles state non highway use or something and thats where the problem lies. Somehow you have to get it retitled. Then the blinkers, windshield, horn etc comes for an inspection. However, seeing how vehicle safety inspection will no longer exist after this year that may not be a problem.

Comment

Not legally by statute. The statute is very clear. Sec. 551A.052. REGISTRATION; LICENSE PLATES. (a) Except as provided by Section 502.140(c), the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles may not register an off-highway vehicle for operation on a highway regardless of whether any alteration has been made to the vehicle.​
                  Sec 502.140 allows for use on roads by government entities. All UTVs are defined as off-highway vehicles.
                  Im sure you can spend a lot of money getting lights/signals/horn/etc added and find some place to illegally register it.

Comment

Not sure of the legality but they are all over north padre and never see one pulled over. We had ours on the cr by the lease and had a trooper stop I thought **** here we go! Just asked us how the hunting was and rolled on.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      Not sure of the legality but they are all over north padre and never see one pulled over. We had ours on the cr by the lease and had a trooper stop I thought **** here we go! Just asked us how the hunting was and rolled on.
                      As mentioned above, it’s very easy to get the OHV plate for as long as you stick to a certain set of guidelines. And you can legally cross an intersecting road with a speed limit of whatever as long as the right of way you are traveling on is 35 MPH or less.

It comes down to whatever department pulls you over. As I mentioned in my 1st post, my brother did this on his Ranger right after the plates became available. He lives less than one mile away from where our old office location was, yet still was pulled over by a local unit and lit up (30 MPH road. Once that guy’s higher ups got there, that officer ended up with his head hung down and tail tucked pretty bad.

Making one fully street legal with 0 restrictions. It’s at least possible in theory. I wouldn’t do it, I don’t even have a plate for mine because it rarely even hits the county road where it’s at. Even then it’s only a couple of hundred yards outside of the gate to get to the mailbox cluster. There’s very rarely any traffic other than us going through there other than the people below the property that have an ingress/egress easement through the property I speak of and they use their SxS to go to the mailbox as well.

No one really cares in a situation like that but it sounds like OP is shooting for something else. If I had ours here, I’d probably have a plate on it just to run around the subdivision. Where it’s actually at? There’s really no need to.

Comment

Local LEO may not ay much but DPS and the Squirrel Sherriff will defiantly give you a hard time, even on a public dirt road.

Comment

From what I’ve read, as long as the road is less than 35 mph, and allowed in the entity, not much a problem. POC is what comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                            Not legally by statute. The statute is very clear. Sec. 551A.052. REGISTRATION; LICENSE PLATES. (a) Except as provided by Section 502.140(c), the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles may not register an off-highway vehicle for operation on a highway regardless of whether any alteration has been made to the vehicle.​
                            Sec 502.140 allows for use on roads by government entities. All UTVs are defined as off-highway vehicles.
                            Im sure you can spend a lot of money getting lights/signals/horn/etc added and find some place to illegally register it.
                            Which is why I said it would need a new title.

and say you "illegally" register it. Now it has a plate, LE runs the plate it comes back correct to the owner etc. What else can they do?

Once it's in DPS database it's a done deal.

Last edited by Quackerbox; 05-15-2024, 07:08 PM.

Comment

check with your local municipality for rules and regulations. theyve probably been addressed already

Comment

Working...
                              X