No announcement yet.

Buccee's EZ Feeder Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody on another thread mentioned shoving a pvc pipe into the hole and that would stop most of the corn from falling out. If you've got 600 lbs.of fresh corn in there, obviously you don't want to dump that out and start over.

I did have to change my motor once as the wire got cut on the metal, but I put a plastic conduit sleeve over the new wires and wrapped it well in electrical tape and haven't had an issue since (it probably doesn't hurt that mines in a pen either, so hogs can't screw with it).

And another pro tip: when transporting on the highway in a trailer, don't stand them upright and leave the lid on. LOL
    Last edited by Etxbuckman; 05-14-2024, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Hey, as mentioned a few times earlier, you can plug it with a piece of paper or corn sack. That would work.

The problem with the feeder I mentioned earlier that I have set up for my wife is hogs have the area below it destroyed and it’s usually pretty muddy directly under it, which is where I’d have to lay out to perform the surgery.

That’s not happening. Even if I took a tarp and something else to lay on, I’m just not doing it. It doesn’t take but a few minutes and some empty corn sacks and/or buckets to get most of the corn out. At that point, I can drag the feeder wherever I want by hand and flip it over.

And it’s not a frequent issue. Yes, I’ve had to do that to hers twice but as I mentioned earlier, the first time seemed like a factory defect. That can and does happen with anything. Other than that instance we’ve ran for several years with one motor change that didn’t seem to be a factory issue.

And I sure as all hell ain’t going to plug the dang thing and then try to flip it over while it’s full of corn.

Comment

It’s not difficult to plug the hole even by yourself. You may have some fall out, but not much. Just undo one side of the plate and stick a plastic bag or something in the hole.

I ran the wire through an old socket I had in my tool box while the plate was off. The corn and sometimes long arm raccoons can damage the wire. After I protected it with a socket it’s worked flawlessly

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
          never owned one of these, but I'd be a little concerned about the number of y'all who are experts at changing the motors on these things, especially at their price point. Not insanely expensive, but comparative to what it would cost for me to throw one together (and probably have to change the motor every 3-4 years) they are.
          They are very problematic as a whole. You get what you pay for.

Comment

No problems from mine. I mean I did research them before I bought mine at $399 and did two suggested mods of extending the bottom plates for coons and wrapping the wires in the 8” of black plastic loom immediately. Probably cost me a grand total of $40 total. I think I bought in 2019 so 5 years of no issues. I’ve also done coon mods for my now $900 retail Lamco 600s Lo and Throws so even the expensive feeders need the occasional mod as well .

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post

Not as a whole by a looong shot. We have probably 20 of them on our place and they’re all still going strong after at least 5 years. Only issue I’ve ever had was a set screw came loose on one and the impeller would not spin when the motor ran. Was an easy fix. We really like the All Seasons timers too.
              If I needed another feeder, I’d buy one even at the current higher price.

Sco you need to get yourself a bit smaller paint brush.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                Try to spin the plate by hand. If it spins freely, likely the motor is OK and is a wiring issue.
                I think its wiring because the motor will run and blows the fuse mid cycle. Going to try to check on everything this weekend and see.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post

This is the first issue I have had and its been almost 6 years. I would gladly sign up for that and the price point all day every day.

Comment

I forgot I took these pics of the the wires I covered in plastic loom from the motor. Where the wires come through the metal hole is a good place to start to look. Inside and outside pics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5726.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.1 KB ID:	26792209
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	346.0 KB ID:	26792210

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      No problems from mine. I mean I did research them before I bought mine at $399 and did two suggested mods of extending the bottom plates for coons and wrapping the wires in the 8” of black plastic loom immediately. Probably cost me a grand total of $40 total. I think I bought in 2019 so 5 years of no issues. I’ve also done coon mods for my now $900 retail Lamco 600s Lo and Throws so even the expensive feeders need the occasional mod as well .
                      Yep same here, 3 years now and did the mods your recommended. All but the wiring but no issue on that so far and will be putting in protective cover as soon as we can.

Comment

Hogs and javas destroy them and will break the already cheap guards off. It leaves the wires exposed on the bottom for every thing to get to. The wires will rub the tube where it goes back up to the battery and timer and short out. Coons can drain the corn from them in a couple weeks. They are not varmint proof. The timers are junk out the box and have to be replaced. The edges where you reach in to the timer are sharp as hell. The solar panel is so low it gets covered in mud and becomes useless.

They are not reliable. A barrel with an eliminator plate is more reliable.

Comment

They’re all over the feeder I have running for my wife, have been for the around 4 years it’s been out. You can see where they’ve rubbed on the hopper and legs and they do get under it.

One factory defect motor and then one changed last year, hers and mine have been running a combined over 8 years now. They’re no less reliable or more prone to getting busted up than anything else.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

I think its wiring because the motor will run and blows the fuse mid cycle. Going to try to check on everything this weekend and see.
                            If you got an earlier model (from the time line you posted, sounds like you may have ), take a piece of 3/8 rubber fuel line with you when you go. Cut a piece about 1 1/2" long and split it so you can open it up and place the wires on the inside of it. Once you make any necessary repairs (May only need to tape up the bare places), just run the wires through the hose and shove the hose up through the hole in the bottom from either the inside or outside of the feeder. That rubber hose will protect the wires from abrasion and also from further damage by corn hitting them. It's a very easy fix.

Comment

Call ASF and ask to speak with Zach. He will know what is causing the issue.

At some point I will post pics of the retrofit that ASF made for me so that I can use an Eliminator on my EZ Feeder.

Comment

Probably exposed wire touching the feeder some where.

Comment

Working...
                                X