Back Surgery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Surgery Question

Anyone here have a Laminectomy with L4 L5 Spinal fusion? Have a cracked L4 and it's leaking fluid into spinal canal causing a large cyst that has been giving lots of leg pain and other stuff. Just asking really trying to get a grasp on what the recovery looks like.

Yes Sir! Do your homework on your surgeon and find the very best you possibly can! I fought those issue’s for a long time - until I couldn’t walk anymore . I Had to have something done for some kinda half decent quality of life . Had the surgery, woke up from anesthesia feeling like a brand new man. An hour later I was in my hospital room , swing my legs over the side of the bed, stood straight up , went to the bathroom then as I was jumping back in bed the nurse caught me and tore me a new one for not staying still! Every bit of all of that major pain gone. I could breath without being in mortal pain, no more sciatic nerve pain down both of my legs , no more back pain !

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
      Yes Sir! Do your homework on your surgeon and find the very best you possibly can! I fought those issue’s for a long time - until I couldn’t walk anymore . I Had to have something done for some kinda half decent quality of life . Had the surgery, woke up from anesthesia feeling like a brand new man. An hour later I was in my hospital room , swing my legs over the side of the bed, stood straight up , went to the bathroom then as I was jumping back in bed the nurse caught me and tore me a new one for not staying still! Every bit of all of that major pain gone. I could breath without being in mortal pain, no more sciatic nerve pain down both of my legs , no more back pain !
      IF you mind me asking is there anything you have to not do, like snow skiing or lifting etc??

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post

IF you mind me asking is there anything you have to not do, like snow skiing or lifting etc??
        if everything goes ok and you give it time to heal and do every bit of your therapy - I don’t see why not! Within a month I was running a 20” chain saw clearing cedars at a new lease and working circles around my Son and Son N Law dragging cut brush off to piles.

here is something I never should have done though. Two months later during hunting season a trespasser was using my blind do I got the bright idea of climbing up in a big cedar tree just behind my blind to install a game cam to catch the rascal. I took my time and was careful , got it installed, was climbing back down and the bark on a cedar limb stripped under my footing and I feel around 7’ flat on my arse but hit a high root at the base of the tree and ended up damaged for life with permanent nerve damage.

Comment

Had a Laminectomy​ done by Dr. Richard Harper..he is a magician. No fusion though…one of the best things I have had done. Do not know why I waited so long to have it done. Had restriction for a month or so. As others have said find the best Dr in your area. I choose a proven neurosurgeon vs an orthopedic Dr.

Comment

I'm no help with having anything done, Yet, but I have a Left L4/L5 and L5/S1 Hemi-Laminectomy, Medial Facetectomy, and Discectomy's scheduled for 6/3 to avoid and prolong L4/L5 and L5/S1 fusions. I've exhausted all efforts with core strengthening, PT, chiropractors, Tens Machines, and steroid injections.
            All of my surgery is minimally invasive and outpatient. If you're in the Houston area, look up Dr. Meng Huang out of Methodist. He gives lectures to other neurosurgeons on minimally invasive techniques to avoid "open surgery" . He's not "knife happy" and will guide you through the best care needed.

PM if you have any questions and good luck!
            Roby

Comment

Originally posted by sports View Post
              Had a Laminectomy​ done by Dr. Richard Harper..he is a magician. No fusion though…one of the best things I have had done. Do not know why I waited so long to have it done. Had restriction for a month or so. As others have said find the best Dr in your area. I choose a proven neurosurgeon vs an orthopedic Dr.
              I second this 100%.

Comment

No fusion but had a herniated disc taken out at 4. Was back at work in 9 days and would have gone sooner if the Dr would have signed off. I went to him based on 2 coworkers that used him. One for a disc then a fusion
                Premier Spine Institute PLLC is a skilled Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon in The Woodlands & Baytown, TX. Accepting new appointments. Call today or request an appointment on our website.

Comment

Originally posted by sports View Post
                  I choose a proven neurosurgeon vs an orthopedic Dr.
                  X3

Comment

This Ortho specializes in this type of spine work, really like him and he comes highly recommended. Thanks for all the input folks, makes me a little more comfortable that others have had similar surgeries and they have all worked out well. The cracked L4 leaking fluid in my spinal column is playing hell in my nerve bundle. If I wasn't on gabapentin at the rate I am I don't think I could even move. Going under next Monday.

Comment

I’ve had 6 Laminectomies,the bottom 3 disc twice each. They ended up fussing them and now I don’t hurt unless I over do things.Did the surgery and that evening I was up and walking.

Comment

Had a 360 fusion on my L4 - L5. I had a lot of complications with nerve damage and infection at the incision on my belly. Like everyone is saying, find the right surgeon, follow the post surgery instructions, complete your physical therapy and stretch daily. It can be a long recovery so be patient. Best of luck to you.
                        Last edited by EZ-10RANCH; 05-13-2024, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                          This Ortho specializes in this type of spine work, really like him and he comes highly recommended. Thanks for all the input folks, makes me a little more comfortable that others have had similar surgeries and they have all worked out well. The cracked L4 leaking fluid in my spinal column is playing hell in my nerve bundle. If I wasn't on gabapentin at the rate I am I don't think I could even move. Going under next Monday.
                          Drop that Gabapentin like a hot rock and deal with the pain as best as you can until the surgery! That stuff can be horrible

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post

Drop that Gabapentin like a hot rock and deal with the pain as best as you can until the surgery! That stuff can be horrible
                            Dr said he wanted to see how I handled the Med. but honestly I have zero side effects except the shooting pain is way diminished. And I can actually dry my legs off coming out of the shower. Lol.

Comment

Been there done that. I chose the best Brain/Spinal surgeon I could locate. I was going to fly to Denver or Florida but he actually moved to Texas.

Recovery- I was only able to walk for about 6 months. I did 6 miles every day. After that I was in rehab building core and more learning how not to do things.

My Dr sent me to classes before the procedure to learn how to get out of bed after surgery and how to do everyday things

There should be no specific date given on recovery. My recovery was complete when I had 100% growth covering all the hardware. Until that time I had a lot of restrictions.

that said I fish every day- backpack- and lift weights.

Comment

Working...
                              X