Talk me out of this 2005 6.8 V10 Ford Excursion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of this 2005 6.8 V10 Ford Excursion

Looking for a vehicle for my soon to be 16 yr old and a buddy is getting rid of his 05 Excursion. Its got a 2 yr old crate engine with 60,000 miles.

for our budget I can’t even touch anything with less than 150k mileage wise. So even though this thing is nearly 20 years old, the engine is going to have far less miles than anything else we can find.

im thinking once the boy hits college, I can “buy” it back from him and restore it a bit and make a pretty cherry hunting rig.

But if there is so sort of catastrophic issue with tha V10 (besides the gas mileage 😂) I’m all ears. Taking it to get checked out by our mechanic tomorrow

I had a V10 F350. It was a great truck with plenty of power. I averaged about 12-13 mpg with a lift & 35's.
    Love those excursions.

Comment

First....I can't believe that boy is 16. Second, I've had a 2000 with a V10 and a 2005 with a 6.0. The only thing I regretted about either of them was selling them. Wish I had either one back again. Buy it.

Comment

Do it. Put a nice exhaust system on it. Those v-10's have a very unique sound. He's gonna love it!

Comment

I had a 2000 F250 with V-10. Same as Curt...regret selling it. Absolutely zero issues with it other than the gas mileage! But that's pretty much my life story.
          Last edited by Chew; 05-13-2024, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            First....I can't believe that boy is 16. Second, I've had a 2000 with a V10 and a 2005 with a 6.0. The only thing I regretted about either of them was selling them. Wish I had either one back again. Buy it.
            I can’t believe he’s turning 16 also!

Th responses in this thread is exactly what my gut said when I saw it listed. It’s got some cosmetic things inside. Eddie Bauer trim package, and the leather on the driver seat needs to be replaced. But all electronics work except 1 instrument panel that tells you miles til empty etc. Locks, windows, even the dvd player and screen still work. I think its a really good find.

Comment

You want to give teenage boy an Excursion? You must want to be a young grandpa.

Comment

I drove a 7.3 Excursion in highschool, stole it back from my dad after college and still drive it daily currently.

Awesome vehicle overall.

Still want to know how many 30 cases will fit if you go high and tight from the back doors to the front seats....

He will definitely be popular with his buddies due to the fact they seat 8 (legally).
                Last edited by Kmart49; 05-13-2024, 09:57 AM.

Comment

He would definitely move up in rank at school...no matter how many prurple and pink shirts he wears with those George P Bush new balance shoes.
                  Do it!!!

Comment

I had two Excursions with V10s and three F250s with that engine. Never had a wrench put on any except two, one was a coil pack that failed, the other was a fuel pump. On the pickups, I drove them to close to 200k, then “sold” them to my son and he drove them another 100k Only downside is the gas mileage and that wasn’t awful until Ford restricted what gear ratio you could get. My Excursion got 16/17 mpg on trips, the pickups a little less. I wish you could still get a V10 because I would have one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      You want to give teenage boy an Excursion? You must want to be a young grandpa.
                      👆. This right here. I see a boy come to my house to pick up my daughter in that and he’s getting turned away 😁

seriously though, If the price is right, that is one bad arse vehicle for any man.

Comment

One of the best motors built in terms of longevity. We had 4 at one time in our extended family (2 v-10s and 2 powerstrokes) and not one ever had an issue. Still thinking about finding one for a hunting rig myself. They’re so mythical now that they’re fetching a premium if still in decent shape.

Comment

No opinion on the vehicle itself, although I've always thought Excursions were cool. I will say when I was in high school just about all of us had single or extended cab trucks. Had one buddy with a late 80's Suburban. When it came time for the whole crew to do something really dumb together that was the ride we were taking.

Comment

V-10 is a great motor

Comment

Buy it if it’s within budget. I currently own a 99 F250 with the V-10 I bought off here. Love the truck! This thing just keeps going no matter what. It is the go to for all of my family when their cars/trucks break down. Gas mileage won’t be good but I didnt purchase for good mileage.

Comment

Working...
                              X