F150 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150 oil leak

2013 F150 w/3.5 ecoboost. I noticed an oil spot on the driveway and found a leak from this bolt. Hard to tell from the pic but can anyone tell me what I’m looking at? Looks like motor oil, as opposed to trans fluid or transfer case. I gave it a couple quarter turns and was real easy to turn and still leaks. Worried it’s stripped, but no idea how that could have happened unless jiffy lube mistook it for the drain plug.

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

On second thought… is this the drain plug? I assumed it would be further forward.

Comment

That bolt's been worked more than a few times.
        Not too familiar with the 3.5, but I've changed my fair share of oil.
        Are you saying that is not the drain for the motor oil?

I can't imagine any other bolt down there having the hex end rounded off if not.

See how that side-to-side sway control looking bar is not as dirty beneath the plug as it is on the ends?
        Thats where I'd wipe off the spillage after each oil change ifn it were me doing the job.

Comment

drain plug

Comment

Originally posted by CodyMack2 View Post
            drain plug
            With that established, good thing you found it when you did.
            Now swing back under and getter good-n-tight to make sure you're not testing your oils run dry abilities.

If it is stripped, they sell oversized drain plugs to get you out of a bind.

I've never had to use one, but know they exist.

Comment

Yep… all it took was searching YouTube to make me feel like an idiot. This is the oil drain plug. I haven’t changed my own oil on this truck and assumed the drain plug would be further forward and point downward.

Safe to turn to tight? I haven’t wanted to in case the threads are stripped out. Maybe just needs a new drain plug gasket?

Comment

A few weeks ago I changed the oil in my truck, motorcycle and 2 four -wheelers (still have one machine to do).
                Can't say I saw any drain plug gaskets.
                Partially recessed o-rings -yes, gaskets- not so much.....maybe on the popo 500 that has a dry sump.

I would at least go finger tight then ease into it. But your fear is warranted, if it is stripped, you'll know when it slips past snug and gets lose again.

If you're unsure you might want to have one of the oversized bolts from the auto parts on hand when you go to snug it up.
                You can return it if it is unneeded.

Quick duck duck go-
                Self tapping oil drain plug? | Bob Is The Oil Guy
                Last edited by DaveC; 05-12-2024, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Drain plug on my Tacoma has a copper washer I replace about every third time I change the oil.
                  Kind of crush washer

Snug it and if it does not stop leaking keep a good check on the oil level until it needs changing again

Or better yet since you had it done, take it back and make them fix it

Comment

Those ecoboost drain plugs have a built in washer that can not be replaced. They will wear out over time. You can buy a new drain plug with a new washer. I just replaced my with a Fumoto plug.

Comment

Working...
                    X