Storm shelter cellular antenna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm shelter cellular antenna?

We are installing an above-ground storm shelter in our garage this week. We have a cell booster in our house that reaches put into the yard, but have zero signal in our garage. Does anybody know of an antenna we could mount outside the shelter and perhaps run a cable inside? The shelter is very small (42" diameter cylinder), but 3/8" thick steel with a small hole drilled in the top where we could run a cable through. Anybody tried a magnet mount antenna or have any other ideas or suggestions?

Originally posted by huntresss View Post
    We are installing an above-ground storm shelter in our garage this week. We have a cell booster in our house that reaches put into the yard, but have zero signal in our garage. Does anybody know of an antenna we could mount outside the shelter and perhaps run a cable inside? The shelter is very small (42" diameter cylinder), but 3/8" thick steel with a small hole drilled in the top where we could run a cable through. Anybody tried a magnet mount antenna or have any other ideas or suggestions?
    How many folks do you expect to house in a 3ft+ circle? Seems like cell service would be the least of my concerns. Not judging by any means and I'm sure you have your reasons

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post

How many folks do you expect to house in a 3ft+ circle? Seems like cell service would be the least of my concerns.
      I guess it’s just her and her husband, believe me, if you’ve ever been in a tornado, comfort ain’t a concern. You’re just trying to survive the next 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

I guess it’s just her and her husband, believe me, if you’ve ever been in a tornado, comfort ain’t a concern. You’re just trying to survive the next 15 minutes.
        I have been close enough to know that S$%^& was real. Scary stuff!! Just saying theres no way me and someone else is fitting in that hole

Comment

I have been close enough to know that S$%^& was real. Scary stuff!! Just saying theres no way me and someone else is fitting in that hole
          Me either, mine is 10’ x 12’ !

Comment

How many folks do you expect to house in a 3ft+ circle? Seems like cell service would be the least of my concerns. Not judging by any means and I'm sure you have your reasons
            It's just my husband and I (and our little dog). We've had three close calls in the short time we've lived here so just want the peace of mind. We had cell service in our concrete, in-ground cellars at our previous ranch and were used to watching the radar while down there, so was hoping we could still do the same with a little ingenuity.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

You've got that right! When we owned Shiloh Ranch we had to fit all our hunters in the shelter with us, and that made for some mighty tight situations at times. We didn't care how hot, sweaty or stinky anybody was when you hear that vent turbine start screaming.

Comment

PS- your Mother's Day ribs look delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by huntresss View Post
                  PS- your Mother's Day ribs look delicious!
                  Thanks, they were, and now I’m stuffed !

Comment

Buy a cheap beofang radio on Amazon with and extension cable. Mount the antenna to the wall. It will pick up the NOA weather channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                      Buy a cheap beofang radio on Amazon with and extension cable. Mount the antenna to the wall. It will pick up the NOA weather channels.
                      Thanks! I've already got the radio so will order the extension cable and give it a shot.

Comment

I bought a ladder wire antenna on ebay that I use with my hand held units. I'm hitting the repeater 20 miles away. Works great I. The mountains too.

Comment

Working...
                        X