X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd try the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post

I get 2000 ohms. Apparently you cant order stihl parts online anywhere. Must go to authorized dealer. So went to one in Magnolia to buy a coil. First thing their mechanic says is "how do YOU know the coil is bad?" Heavily emphasized "you". I told him what I did and he said "no, that doesnt work, and checking it the normal way of pulling the plug and touching it to the head doesnt work because its aluminum magnesium alloy and its a poor conductor". ?
      That is why you touch it to a head bolt. They are carbon steel, and you would see the arc. I refurbished a saw about a month ago, and was able to see spark.

You cold always do like my grandad. Stick a screwdriver in the plug wire, and hold onto it while you pull the motor over. That man was allot tougher than me.

Comment

Took the saw to the authorized dealer today and asked him to check it with his superduper ZAT 4 tester. He hooked it up and gave it a yank and almost before it turned over he said "its got fire". I didnt see it and said, "dang I didnt even see it" as nice as I could, so he turned off the lights and yanked it and there was no spark. Yanked a couple more times and said " coil is bad" all matter of factly, like he had discovered something I hadnt repeatedly told him.

His entire demeanor changed when it didnt spark. Turned into the nicest guy ever met. Offered to change it out for free, I accepted. He put it on and back together and it cranked right up.

Comment

His entire demeanor changed when it didnt spark. Turned into the nicest guy ever met. Offered to change it out for free, I accepted. He put it on and back together and it cranked right up.
          but did he buy you a dinner afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post

but did he buy you a dinner afterwards?
            No, I asked but he declined

Comment

There is always a first time when dealing with mechanical equipment. Anything can and will go bad.
              Glad you got it ripping again.

Comment

Took the saw to the authorized dealer today and asked him to check it with his superduper ZAT 4 tester. He hooked it up and gave it a yank and almost before it turned over he said "its got fire". I didnt see it and said, "dang I didnt even see it" as nice as I could, so he turned off the lights and yanked it and there was no spark. Yanked a couple more times and said " coil is bad" all matter of factly, like he had discovered something I hadnt repeatedly told him.

So he just happened to keep in stock the coil that never goes bad?

Comment

good deal getting them to replace it BUT he should have checked it the first time for ya ... I found this one online German Coil

Comment

Working...
                  X